1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty Cancellation/ Offered on Prius Chat?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mytiels2001, Aug 25, 2015.

1. mytiels2001

mytiels2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am one of those foolish people who got bullied into paying $2.5K in tire protection and extended warranties on my new Prius C. After I got home I realized how horrible the warranty really is, 6 years or 125K miles. How am I supposed to put on 125K miles in 6 years and is 6 years really extended? Doesn't seem like it. KBB says the hybrid parts are supposed to be covered for 10 years or 100K without the extension. I don't know if this includes the electronics like my nav system. I don't understand what extra is covered in the extended warranty that isn't covered in the manufacturer warranty. My main question is, after reading a bunch of older threads, everyone refers to a warranty offered on Prius Chat for $1055. Does this still exist? I don't see it mentioned in any 2015 posts and can't find a live link. Has anyone successfully canceled their warranties and protection plans? What do I write?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you can just go back to the dealership and tell them you changed your mind. don't worry, you won't spoil their dinner.:)
    as for warranty, read your manual, it' mostly in there. you have 8/100 or 10/150 on hybrid components, depending on whether you're in a carb state or not. 5/60 on emissions and safety equipment, 3/36 on most of the rest and 12/12 on the last bit. all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bisco - have you seen the info I posted regarding warranty on hybrid system? I think it's the most recent post I did as newbie "Agonizing Over Details". I did some digging and verified with Toyota that hybrid system is not part of the longer warranty for carb states.

Supposedly the hybrid system warranty is 8/100K and only the hybrid battery has the longer 10/150K warranty for carb states except policy differs for WA and PA.

Obviously each model and year may have slight differences in warranty so best to look in manual. I found this info on Toyota's website. They have manuals for each yr and model online which was news to me. : ) My two sense worth....

I'm still looking for my very own reliable Prius. Fingers crossed!

bisco likes this.
  4. mytiels2001

mytiels2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How do you know if you are a Carb state? Can you please send a link?

I just sent a lengthy email to the finance office of the dealer where I made my purchase. It states on one of the plans I purchased that it needed to be in writing and it's far away so hopefully the email will be enough. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I have a feeling I have a battle ahead of me.

5. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say, spend the money and send it certified mail.

iPhone ?

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would find out how much time you have to cancel and would either send certified mail or drive the distance depending on timing.

Here is link with carb state info. (scroll down to chart on 3rd page).

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=24724&flag=1

You can also call Toyota and give them vin #. Toyota initially told me car had to be originally purchased and registered in CARB state but I haven't been able to confirm the registered part. They have misinformed me before.

You can confirm Toyota's info by opening hood of car and looking at emissions sticker attached underneath. Sticker should state both federal and CA carb emissions although I don't remember the exact wording.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Toyota warranty that was offered through PriusChat is sadly only available to people who have a mailing address with the state of Massachusetts. Our warranty rep does offer a warranty plan for out of state people, but it is a third party plan through Fidelity. It's the same plan offered by Southwest Toyota, Hyundai, and others.

8. mytiels2001

mytiels2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I am so frustrated with this warranty stuff I am not thinking clearly. So if I am reading correctly, the standard warranty is good if I am not in a CARB state but it is even BETTER if I am in a CARB state?

Previously I read it that the warranty for 8 years or 100K miles on the hybrid parts/electronics is void if I live in a CARB state.

Please clarify.

#8 mytiels2001, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. mytiels2001

mytiels2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Hi Danny, I am sadly not in Massachusetts. Who do I email or call to get a quote on this this third party plan through Fidelity? Email is preferable. I do you know what they roughly run around? I clicked on the Extended Warranty link you provided but it said the page was unavailable.

Thank you,
    Angela

10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Angela,

I'm new and can't answer your question regarding Priuschat warranty.

I did find Toyota warranty info spelled out on this website link.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

There is a PDF for each make and model. Once you've entered details regarding you car, just click on appropriate PDF and scroll down to warranty info. For specifics regarding CARB states there are footnotes within each warranty type. Hybrid battery and emissions warranty is usually longer in CARB state. PA and WA have CA Carb laws but they have shorter warranty than other CARB states for some reason. Not sure why.

Hope this helps.

DomCue likes this.