1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty exclusions

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Jeri, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few points:

A. EXTENDED WARRANTY SOLD HERE THROUGH TROY

The extended warranty sold here (through Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA) for $990 is the longest and most comprehensive extended warranty offered by Toyota: Toyota Extra Care - Platinum Protection Plan - 7yrs/100,000 miles - $0 deductible.

B. EXTENDED WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS

The Toyota Financial Services website has this to say about the Platinum Plan and its excluded components:

"Note: Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection."

"List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

C. HYBRID SYSTEM AND HYBRID BATTERY WARRANTY

Regarding the hybrid system and the hybrid battery, note that my 2007 Warranty Booklet says that the standard Prius warranty includes the following warranties:

Hybrid System - 96 months/100,000 miles

Longer Hybrid Battery Warranty in California - 120 months/150,000 miles - but only for California, and for Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System.

2. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I got mine in April of this year. In Florida the Hybrid system is also 120 months/150,000 miles.

My EW also included "regular" maintenance for 36 months/36000 miles. Maybe that's a dealer thing?

Bob

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great -- Florida must have become a "CARB" state recently, so now Florida Prius gets the longer hybrid battery warranty too. (My list of CARB states above came out of my 2007 Warranty Booklet.)

I think that must be a dealer thing. I know that the Toyota Platinum Plan does not include free regular maintenance for any period of time.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ive never seen the 8 year 120K warranty. I just purchased the EW, the 7 yr. 100,000 mile version from priuschat. it was 990 from Troy at Greenfield toyota. I purchased it with only miles left under the 36000 limit. It was an easy purchase, no haggeling, I knew the price was the cheapest available, and I've bought items from troy in the past and He's great to deal with. One phone call and I charged it on my card. Couldn't have been easier, and its the Toyota certified warranty, not a warranty from my local dealer that no one else would recognize.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That 8 year/120K extended warranty is not a Toyota product. As I described in my long post above, the longest and most comprehensive Toyota extended warranty is the Extra Care - Platinum Plan - 7 years/100,000 miles - $0 Deductible, which retails for $1850, but is sold here through Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA for $990. And you have up to 3 years/36,000 miles to decide whether to buy it.

Congrats and good luck with your Prius when it comes in. The Touring Package #2 is the one I would want too.

6. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just for grins I called a bunch of Toyota dealers in the Houston Texas area to see the differences in the 100000 mile Platinum warranty plan and John Elway in Colorado because I had heard some really negative things about his dealerships. An here are the results for what it's worth.
    72 month 100,000 Platinum plan $0.00 deductible $50.00 deductible

Tejas Toyota $1400.00 $1300.00
    Community Toyota $1986.00 $1820.00
    Champion Toyota wasn't offered $2300.00
    Fred Hauss $2050.00 $1925.00
    Mike Calvert Toyota $1595.00 $1495.00
    Joe Myers Toyota Voice mail, then hung up on
    Don Mcgill on hold for10 min, then hung up on
    Sterling Mccall $2230.00 $1975.00
    Star Toyota Voice mail
    John Elway $1675.00 $1625.00
    and was told that was Toyota's cost

Shop around, and you still wont beat the deal through Prius chat, just don't drop the name of the person or dealership you get the 990.00 deal through.
    A car dealership would tell you the Pope's butt is gold plated if it helps them sell you a car and they don't loose any sleep over telling you a bald face lie. But it's all about making money.
    If 1675.00 and 1625.00 is Toyotas cost, either somebody is fibbing or somebody else is loosing money on a 990.00 warranty fee. Ding, Ding, Ding I hears bells and whistles going off, seems John Elway"s person lied.
    You can't trust a car dealership to look out for your best interest when there is a profit margin involved. I hate buying a new car, but if you want to really get ripped off, buy a used car from a dealership. Thats where the really make there money,

7. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What does "Shiny Metals" refer to? It seems like the transmission case could be included in such a vague description. Any examples - since "Chrome", and " Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings" are already listed elsewhere? Also, is a claim for an aluminum radiator or A/C condenser going to be rejected for "corrosion damage" (for a common leak) or because they are "Shiny Metals". I worry about this type of language leaving much latitude of acceptance or rejection of a claim. Who makes these decisions at the warranty/insurance company?

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear your concerns. Legally, I think it comes down to what's a reasonable interpretation of the language. And in this regard, fuzziness is to be construed against the drafter of the document -- Toyota.

In any event, whenever an owner tries to get work done under warranty, she may need to argue her case to the dealer. So, among other things, she may need to know both the express exclusions and the express inclusions; and she also might need to do some research into the Toyota OEM Parts database.

For instance, I've read stories here where the dealer said the item in question was among the express exclusions. But then the owner argued, among other things, that it's clearly among the express inclusions and therefore is covered by the warranty.

Here's a link to the Toyota Financial Services webpage for the list of inclusions. Note that you have to choose a category (e.g., air conditioning) from the menu in order to see what's included in that category:

Toyota Financial Services: Home

NOLA_Akita likes this.
  9. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What about the rear view camera??

10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    details, mine doesn't say that. Please post all the details man. Thanks!

11. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This may not be law yet! We need to run this to ground with someone. Worst case scenario is that it starts in July and we are screwed.:mad::mad::mad:

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2009/Senate/bills/analysis/pdf/2009s1994.ep.pdf

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Scienzchic

Scienzchic Junior Member

I have only 10 days left to buy the Plarinum Extended Warranty for my 2006 prius. None of my friends or family buy service plans and they have been discouraging me from getting one stating its a waste of my money.

If I buy the PLATINUM (7 yr/100k mi.) EXTENDED WARRANTY form the WARRANTY SHACK offered by PriusChat, is it the same exact warranty from the dealer? In other words, is there any small print I should know about in buying the extended service plan from WARRANTY SHACK rather than from the dealer? How can WARRANTY SHACK sell it at a cheaper price if it's exactly the same? Will the dealer honor the exended warranty from Warranty Shack?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but none of my friends or immediate family buy warranty plans. They say there are a big expense and that the parts are covered by law anyway, and that all I have to do is go to the Better Business Bureau and file a claim if anypart is defective at any time. Anybody have any info they can share about this, would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The extended warranties sold by WarrantyShack.com are the genuine Toyota extended warranties. They're the same ones sold through your dealer if your dealer sells genuine Toyota extended warranties (I've heard stories here that some may actually sell non-Toyota extended warranties).

The extended warranty talked about and sold here through WarrantyShack.com is Toyota's longest and most comprehensive extended warranty - Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible. Doesn't matter who you buy it from -- your Toyota dealer must honor it. It retails for $1850 and is sold here through WarrantyShack.com for the discounted price of $1055.

Your family is wrong when they say that the car is warrantied for life against defects. Good luck trying to win that case. And besides, what would you do anyway? Go to court each time something goes wrong? Seems kind of impractical.

Personally, I think that at the discounted price of $1055, it's a good insurance buy as insurance products go. On the other hand, the Prius has proven to be among the most reliable cars made -- 9 years in a row (including Consumer Reports' predicted reliability of the 2009 Prius) of the highest overall reliability ratings by Consumer Reports and its surveyed readers. It's your decision whether or not to get the extended warranty. I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong choice.

FYI, here's the Consumer Reports' chart on the Prius' reliability:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/15459d1244660558-prius-reliability-statistics-stay-away-2004-prius-priusratings.jpg[/IMGLINK]

15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ditto

Go to the 3 sites mentioned on this forum (all dealers BTW) and get one today.

16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Got mine in the mail and the struts are not on the exclusion list for the platinum. However many of the Hybrid battery assembly items are. The 8/125k is out.

I did not cancel the 7/100K and buy the 8/125K as the Hybrid assemblies are my biggest concern and are not covered.

17. samsdad

samsdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    DON'T BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FROM ANYONE. They are a total rip-off. I have two of them: on our Prius and our Honda Accord, and you have to FIGHT with them for everything. Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect you need to find a better dealer. I have a two friends who have an extended warranty for their Prius's. . One did an issue that required them to leave to car at the dealers to replace something related to the engine. It would have cost $800 but the it covered by the extended warranty. The receipt had zeros down the line. There was no fight or even a frown. The dealership (Koon's Tyson's" even gave her a free rental. Not a Prius but still free.

My other friend had a light failure which isn't covered but the dealership split the cost.

Steve

19. Scienzchic

Scienzchic Junior Member

Scienzchic FOLLOW-UP on my original question 'should I buy the extended warranty':

Thank you for your input BOO! I ended up buying the platinum extended warranty, and I have NO REGRETS! I highly recommend it for peace of mind; It was well worth the money! BOO you were right, WARRANTY SHACK and the dealer warranty are exactly the same. The warranty coverage shows up on the dealer's computer and they are none the wiser that I paid much less through Warranty Shack for mine. My dealer honored the warranty, no questions asked. My warranty just ran out BTW (it was for 7 years from purchase date), but it was well worth it and it paid for itself! I had no idea until a few years down the road that my radio needed to be replaced. That one issue was worth the cost of the warranty. Basically, the volume knob didn't work right, but I didn't notice because I used the volume controls on the steering wheel, until a friend who was playing with the radio made note of it. I told the dealer and they replaced the entire radio free of charge for parts & labor. They also gave me a rental car. Other than that, the Prius has had a few recalls, which were also taken care of free of charge, but I never had a single issue other than the radio. I religiously follow the regular maitenance as recommended, and so far so good. It's been the best car I have ever owned!