1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty Expiration notice... From Toyota?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by theprius, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 Prius had a black dot for the brakes. They fixed the issue in a recall that did a software upgrade. It was not a mechanical issue.

There have always been red dots for everything electrical. When people/dealers lie and claim you will have issues do not believe them. They are telling lies. This is what they do.

2. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually ... the 2010 brakes are rated with a 'clear' circle. Middle of the scale.

I agree with your other assessments ... in 10 years ... and in 18 categories ... there's only 8 black marks ... 04, 05, 06 Engine Cooling ... 02, 03, 04, 05 Electrical, and 04 Audio.

REV

3. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If I dont buy the warranty will anyone here that talked me out of it pay for my repairs it would have covered?
    in the two years i have had mine they replaced the radio,gps etc twice dont think i would want to have to pay for any of the electronics.
    I bought the plat.8 yr. 75,000 mi for $670,thats not bad for another six years i plan to keep it.

4. cmrj

cmrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the insult chump. No, I don't work for a dealer. I have never purchased an extended warranty of any kind until I bought my 2009 RAV4. So far I have not had any problems with either the RAV4 or the Prius, but I am personally aware of others who have had problems with their Toyotas, outside of the regular Toyota warranty. I can buy an 8 year, 75,000 mile extended factory warranty for less than $700, which I feel is worth it. The warranty would also be a plus should I decide to sell either vehicle. Sounds like you are against all types of insurance unless it is required. Do you have health insurance or do you also feel that is a waste of money?

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For every person who uses the warranty and gets their money's worth ... there are probably hundreds that don't. If you like those odds ... go for it.

There are way too many exclusions to make it worth it AFAIC.

Most things I fix myself, and if something DOES break that I can't fix ... then I'll pay for it. My wife's 05 Corolla has 155K on it and so far it's needed $7 of repairs ... a headlight bulb. I've never had anything really break on a Toyota, so I don't buy the warranties.

If you're the type of person who buys warranties ... then buy it and be happy. What's the big deal if somebody else does something ? Can't see a reason to worry about it either way.

REV

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd think those repairs were paid for with the standard factory warranty weren't they ? If you have a 2010 and you're already into the extended warranty, then 8 years and 75K won't help you very long.

REV

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I swear to god when I was doing the paper work when purchasing my Prius those are the exact words the dealer told me. It is a standard script a dealer is told to use on a customer.

I am not against any type of insurance. My car is paid in full and I carry full auto insurance. If I slipped on an ice road and caused damage to other people and cars I could have expenses over $500,000. My auto insurance protects me from catastrophic damage. I also have home owners insurance (house is paid in full) and health insurance for similar reasons.

You are confusing insurance and a warranty. I did not pay $2,000 to protect me from a $120 repair that might never happen. Or making a choice after 7 years and 110,000 miles if it is worth replacing the OEM radio with an aftermarket or just selling the car. I do not buy extended warranties on anything because you will never win. Just like Vegas, they are calculated odds to take your money.

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always laugh and throw it in the finance guy's face that the SALESMAN told me Toyotas were really reliable, but if they're as unreliable and crappy as YOU SAY, that I absolutely MUST have an extended warranty .... maybe I should reconsider and not buy one.

That shuts em up.

REV

9. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    By that token, insurance is NO DIFFERENT than a warranty. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. It all has to do with your tolerance for risk - in either case.

The only two times that I have purchased an extended warranty they have easily paid for themselves.

I am undecided about one for my 2011 Prius model Five, but given Toyota's reputation for sticking it to the consumer (witness the HID fiasco), one has to pause.

10. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Must have been a few GM vehicles ....

Wouldn't own one without an extended warranty . .... nah .... just plain wouldn't own one at all .... :D

Never had Toyota stick anything to me ... they've been the best car ownership experiences I've ever had. My dealer is awesome .... will bend over backwards to please me.

REV

11. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Worse - Chrysler
    Check out the Gen II forums - lots of times that Toyota stuck it to customers there.
    Lucky yor. FAR too many stealerships have regularly been sticking it to owners on a regular basis )example: $500 for 30K maintenance. (But that wouldn't be covered by extended warranty_

12. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never paid for maintenance yet ... I do it all myself .... been working out just fine. What maintenance is there really ?? Change the oil every 10, rotate the tires every 5, and replace the engine AF and cabin AF every 30. Why would anybody pay $500 for that ? Check this ... check that ... just a bunch of BS. Who doesn't check stuff when they own a car ? :D

Not arguing with you .... just sayin' .... if they gave me an estimate like that .... I'd just laugh and walk.

There's virtually nothing they can do that I can't research and do better.

REV

13. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm with you on that.

BUT you were singing the praises of your dealer - but you apparently don't give them the opportunity to bend YOU over. Unfortunately there are lots of Prius owners out there that are not so savvy. Then there are things that go bad outside of the regular warranty, and with stealerships so anxious to make an extra buck (with factory support) having sealership insurance (aka extended warranty) might not be a bad idea.

It's not that the Prius is unreliable, it's that the thing is so damn expensive when things do go bad.

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL !! You're right .... I don't give them that opportunity. My 2010 has the 25K free service and I have one free oil change and service to use at 30K and that's the last time they'll see me. Although I must admit ... with that maintenace schedule ... an oil change every 10K isn't bad even if you went to the dealer. If I DO take a car in (like for my free oil change at 30K), I specify exactly what they're to do. If they say 30K service for $500 ... I just say ... no thanks ... oil change, filter and your normal 100 point checkup that's included in the oil change. And don't change the engine or cabin AF's .... I already did that. Have a nice day.

I've bought 3 cars in the last 6 years from them, so maybe that's why they're nice to me. :D

Although it really does seem that they're nice to everybody.

REV

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look at your Toyota warranty. Your engine and transmission are warranted for 60,000 miles. Is 15,000 miles of warranty worth $700?

When we buy health insurance, we're protected against $50,000+ services. A heart attack + surgery could be a $250,000 medical bill. Yes, we have to insure ourselves against that, but not against an $800 or even $3,000 car repair.

In my opinion.

16. cmrj

cmrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be worth it to me for extended coverage on everything that is not excluded in the warranty. I doubt that my car will have 75,000 miles on it in 8 years, and I like the idea of having an additional 5 years of transferable factory coverage past the standard 3 year warranty. But this is not set in stone. I'm in no rush and have 3 years or 36,000 miles within which to decide whether I want to buy the extended warranty or not.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 is at 72,000 miles today. I have had zero repairs. That is a perfect example of what is to come for others.

18. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So buy it !!! And be happy !!! Don't worry about what others say, as long as YOU'RE comfortable with it ! :D

REV

19. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice job Judgeless !! Yeah ... I've had mine for 10 months and have 20K on it already. Not as many as you or at as high a rate, but I'm not buying anything other than standard by-the-(Toyota)-book maintenance for mine. Oil changes every 10K, tire rotation every 5K, and cabin and engine air filters every 30K. That's it.

That $500-$1000 ... 30K, 60K, 90K services are a figment of the stealer's imagination. I don't buy that crap for a second. :D

REV

20. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    my 2010 is two years old and has 24,000 and at 73 yrs old dont think i will be putting as many miles on it in the future as i have in the past.no worry's for the next 6 yrs.to me thats worth the $670 i paid.
    I have in the past traded every yr the rebates on top of my wifes toyota discount made it well worth well. I cant justify in my mind going to the plug in when avail in the midwest.after the few miles i would get driving the plug in before it would charge like the one i am now driving to me isn't worth paying 32 to 39 grand.