1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty for 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Colleen Spiegel, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Colleen Spiegel

Colleen Spiegel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I just bought a 2010 Toyota Prius today (60,000 miles) and the dealership offered me an extended warranty. I had an extended warranty on my last car (Volkswagon EOS), and for that car - I needed it. It needed tons of repairs. My questions is - is an extended warranty worth it for this car? It would be $91 for 24 months for 3 years of coverage. As Prius owners, what would you recommend? At how many miles do the batteries need to be replaced?

2. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Personally I am prejudiced against extended warranties. The Prius is a pretty trouble free car. As far as the battery question, many people have never needed to replace the HV battery. The factory warranty might still be in effect for that car anyway. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the hybrid system warranty will chime in. At first I thought it was $91 total but realize that it is $91x24 =2184.00. Thats not cheap. In the end it's what makes YOU feel comfortable.

Colleen Spiegel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would depend on what state you live in and if it’s a CARB certified car. Carb states have 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty on the battery.

At 60,000 miles you should not have any real issues. I would have the transmission fluid changed. They will tell you it’s life time fluid, still do it. Other then that your good till 100k miles. Also I would do oil changes at 5K miles and use 0W-40 weight oil, as it will help you in the long run of reducing oil use as the car gets more miles. Higher weight oils are used in other parts of the world.

4. Colleen Spiegel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the reply!

5. Colleen Spiegel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the reply. I live in Florida. Do you have a list of states that provide that warranty? I do not know if it is a CARB certified car.

6. Colleen Spiegel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was also prejudiced against extended warranties in the past, but if I did not have it on my last car - I would have been in trouble. The repairs were at least 2x the amount that I paid for the extended warranty. This is one of the reasons why I wanted a more reliable car and went with the Toyota. The last time that I had a Toyota was in the 90s, and it was very reliable.

orenji likes this.
  7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It’s not clear if Florida is a Carb state or not. It appears it was a one time then the law was repealed. But it shows that at the time the warranty was 8 years or 100K miles. California is 10 years or 150K miles. Also the car has to have been originally purchased from a Carb State. So your best bet would be to ask the service department at Toyota to provide you with the correct information.

Colleen Spiegel likes this.
  8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure about the impact of Florida being a CARB state or not. AFAIK, the hybrid battery is not covered under Toyota's extended warranties. (I inherited a Platinum extended factory warranty on my '14.)

I would take the $91/month and put it into a future hybrid battery replacement fund.

kc5dlo likes this.