1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EXTENDED WARRANTY - Geico's or Toyotas???????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnfried, Dec 21, 2006.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does it include the Screen and other computers and electrical, as well as hybrid batteries and components?

Just what does bumber to bumber mean??

2. nytimez

nytimez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Jun 9 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]458812[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't ask - but I will when I call to put my Prius on my insurance (it's supposed to arrive this week). My understanding was they make this offer only to the first owner of a new car, and that it covers "virtually everything" again except for "wear and tear" and "rust."

"Wear and tear" always leaves room for interpretation... but unfortunately it's also a standard part of all warranties.

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am with Geico but am shopping Insurance. I was aware of the warranty, but cannot get any details on it. The customer rep I talked to had no idea.

I am most concerned with the computers and screen since it controls the AC/and everything else.

I am also concerned with the hybrid components and smart key system.

I would like to find out what sort of things have been refused by Toyoto on the original warranty.

4. wardo

wardo Wardo

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I chatted with GEICO about the policy, specifically if it covered the MFD and electronics like the CD changer. The rep checked with her manager, and the response was that the policy covered EVERYTHING that was originally delivered with the car.

The cost quoted me was $38.30 per 6 months. I think that some of the variation in cost may have to do with the sales price of the vehicle, perhaps also on your driving record. I have a fully-loaded 2007, and I have never had an accident that was my fault or a ticket for a moving violation.

One thing that I am curious about - if you get the Toyota policy, is the premium refundable at the end of the coverage period if you didn't have any covered repairs? That used to be the case with extended warranties. Now that they're calling them "service contracts," I wonder if the refund still applies.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Geico seems to market themselves as the lowest-cost insurance.

I'm old enough to know that you don't get nuthin' for nuthin'. They are trading price for service, and if you ever file a claim, expect that low price to vanish.

I have the Toyota warranty. I do have a very low-cost rider through my auto insurance, Safeco, that would cover a couple of incidentals that the Toyota warranty may not, but the cost is very minimal, and I may drop that at the one-year renewal time.

6. wkramer

wkramer New Member

I have Geico for my warranty on the Prius and have had it on all cars I've owned for at least the last ten years. The current cost is $15 every 6 months. I did have to use it twice on a 1994 Jeep grand Cherokee. I took the Jeep to the repair shop of my choice both times. Geico will require the repair shop to either have the car examined by their adjuster (came the next day) to approve the repair or the repair shop must keep the old parts just in case Geico wants to look at them.

My first repair was for worn front end parts (one was broken). The adjuster came to look at what needed to be done and had them replace the broken part and all other front end parts that were well worn. Cost me $250.

The next repair was for air conditioning that was not working. The shop replaced the condensor and evaporator. No adjuster was needed they just told them to do the repair over the phone. Again only $250.

I've had at least 5 other cars over those ten years and never needed warranty repairs on any of them.

Unless you are going to keep your car for the full 7 year warranty period and expect to have over 3 covered repairs the Geico policy is the best deal you can get anywhere - bar none, especially if you are going to keep your car for less than the 7 years. If you get rid of cars every 4 years the Geico warranty will only cost you $120, 5 years $150 instead of $900. The Toyota extended warranty will not add much if any value at selling time. Most used car buyers won't pay any extra for the warranty and if you trade your car in its got no value at all.

7. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

which one? neither.

Seriously, has anyone here on the board ever actually needed the extended warranty for a repair to the Prius?? I've read of situations where the extended warranty didn't apply, but have yet to read

ONE, yes ONE instance

where the extended warranty paid for itself.

Me, I'm betting on Toyota and my own careful maintenance and am saving a thousand bucks.

8. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Aug 27 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]502884[/snapback]</div>
    I had a Lexus RX300 a few years back and the entire exhaust system needed to be replaced under the extended warranty. No fuss. No muss. Now it's not Toyota technically but it's close enough in my book. Let's be realistic. If the warranties weren't profitable, the companies wouldn't make them available at a given price. It's safe to assume that ON AVERAGE, most Toyota owners will NEVER have a major repair after warranty before they sell the car. The purpose of the warranty is to give you a measure of security that you won't be the 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 that has a post warranty repair of significance.

9. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nytimez @ Jun 9 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]458784[/snapback]</div>

How long on a new car do you have to decide to get Gieco's plan? 1500 miles or 5000 miles?

10. wardo

wardo Wardo

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From GEICO's web site:
    "GEICO Multi-Risk can only be added if it is a current model year vehicle, the vehicle is less than 15 months old and the odometer reading is less than 15,000 miles, and you are the first title holder. Multi-Risk coverage expires once the vehicle is 7 years old or reaches 100,000 miles."

One advantage of the GEICO coverage is that you can get the repairs done anywhere - it doesn't have to be at a Toyota dealership.

It was amusing listening to the different stories that the Toyota salesman and the finance officer told us when we were buying our Prius. The salesman made a big pitch for how reliable and maintenance-free the Synergy drive system was - so reliable that it had an 8-year warranty. The finance guy, who was trying to sell us the extended warranty, told us that the hybrid system was tremendously complicated and that all of the car's systems ran through it, risking extremely expensive repairs on any of the car's systems. He said it was so complicated that of the 40 mechanics at the dealership, only 7 were authorized to touch the hybrid system.

I had an extended warranty on a Geo Prizm (3 cars ago) that really paid off. The CD player malfunctioned several times and had to be replaced twice. It was an $800 deck. Also, there were some torn sleeves in the steering that had to be replaced.

11. wardo

wardo Wardo

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry, duplicate post

12. pauleknight

pauleknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: EXTENDED WARRANTY - Geico's or Toyotas???????

Here it is 1/2 a year later and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the Geico Warranty.

I was thinking about it this way.

The cost for the Geico warranty is going to run me ~75$ a year.

I drive 20K miles a year.

That means that I will get 5 years out of any 7year /100K mile warranty.

The cost for 5 years of Geico would be $375

The Cost of the Toyota warranty is ~1000.

I have been with Geico for 7 years now and their rates are pretty good. I just checked and their rates were the same as progressive.

Does anyone have any recent claims experience with Geico?

Thanks

Paul

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Re: EXTENDED WARRANTY - Geico's or Toyotas???????

If the Geico has appx $200 deductable, than it seems w/ your very first incident, you'll likely piss away your geico savings. 2 of our 3 uses were over that amount, the third ($75 for a metal fatiqued stud) would have just added insult to regret.