1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty in Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dominic, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, i've looked through the thread that pertained to extended warranty, but all i could find was US information or information dating a few years back.

first of all, i'm not sure i understand the basics of how extended warranty really works. i always believed it had to be bought at the dealership. how can you buy extended warranty on this site? it will still be honored by the dealership? why is it much cheaper?

second, and here's probably the harder part, is it still the same thing in Canada? if you buy it here, is it valid in Canada? i mean, i am interested, however, i would hate to shell out 1000$+ to be told that it is not valid and won't be honored! :-/

hopefully someone will be able to answer this.

thanks

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I seriously doubt that a US purchased policy would cover a Canadian purchased car, but it won't hurt to check.

For starters, get a copy of the extended warranty policy in question and read it carefully. Also contact a couple of companies selling them and ask.

My US bought policy that I bought through a Toyota dealer on the other side of the US covers my US purchased Toyota in the US and Canada, but I don't know if it would cover a Canadian purchased Toyota.

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would suggest that the person that you ask would be a shop. Call a few, and ask them if they accept extended warranties, and if so, can they suggest one that they have had good experiences with. If they have a good relationship with one, who pays their claims on time, then that would be worth your considering.

Otherwise, for anyone else but the shops who could do the work to give you an answer, would be a speculative one at best.

Additionally, a quick google search for ' extended car warranties nova scotia' returned many links, including: Extended Auto Warranty | Extended Warranty | Extended Car Warranty | Automobile Warranties | Warranty Direct

As there seems to be many that sell these in your area, I would think it's safe to assume that you could do this.

That said, I opted to buy the extended warranty recently, and went with the 'Toyota Platinum' warranty. After calling about 20 dealers all over the chicago area, and telling each one that I was shopping for the best price on the coverage, I was able to bring the best prices to my dealer, and they beat those by a few bucks. For the coverage that I bought (5 year, 100,000 warranty, with 0 deductible), I was able to sale almost 1/2 of the list price. This turned out to cost less ($925) than many of the aftermarket coverages available in my area.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were you, I'd go back to the extended warranty thread. It answers all of your questions. And if it does not, or if it's too voluminous for you, it has the contact info for Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA and you should contact Troy directly with all of your questions.

AFAIK, the answers are:

1. You can buy the Toyota extended warranties from any authorized Toyota dealership.

2. You can buy the Toyota extended warranties through this site's representative, Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA which is an authorized Toyota dealership.

3. The Toyota extended warranties must and will be honored by any authorized Toyota dealership in the US and Canada.

EDIT: David Beale has clarified this point:

4. As to how Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA can sell the Toyota extended warranties at a more than 40% discount off of MSRP ... who cares?

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Troy told me the extended warranty is only for US cars. So if you purchased your Prius in the US and imported it into Canada it would apply. It DOES NOT apply on a Canadian car.

The warranty they are selling is the -Toyota- warranty. It's not the dealership offering it, they are the selling agent. The price difference just goes to show you the markup the dealership gets on this. Troy does not loose money on the warranty!

I still don't understand why anyone would want a warranty that you have to argue with the dealership to have honored! Read on this site for examples!

How slimey can they get? In Canada if you don't purchase the warranty when you purchase the car you can't get it. Worse, they don't offer it when you are looking, they try to pressure you into getting it at the end of the paperwork session, with no time to consider what a ripoff it really is!

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is how it works in the US, except we can also buy it later. The extended warranty is typically offered at the end of the buying ordeal when you are routed to the "finance" guy who takes care of legal papers, signing contracts, extended warranty and useless overpriced services like paint, glass and upholstery protection and any other method of vacuuming out your bank account they can think of.

They hold off on it until then because at that point you have just agreed to buy a car for tens of thousand of dollars. So, a few hundred for needled chrap like various protectants don't seem like so much. You are also worn down from negotiating the price of the car.:eek:

7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I believe you can still buy the Toyota Extended Warranty after you purchased the vehicle except the "penalty" will apply. This means , for example, if you purchase the extended warranty at the time of signing the contract, you'd pay an X amount. If, 6 months down the road and you want to buy it, they will add a few percentage on top of the X amount. Don Valley North Toyota in Toronto offered me that option but I declined it.

8. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Other than Toyota Canada offers Extended Warranty program, there are after-market companies offer vehicle owners extended warranty as well. Prices offered by these third party companies may seem lower than the Toyota Canada program but often times, they have a higher deductible, less coverage on component break down. And often, it will require you to take the repair to their designated garage. Some require you pay up front and file a claim which takes forever to get your money back.
    My advice, since you want a peace of mind for buying the extended warranty, should go with the Toyota factory extended warranty. This is the place you know you can rely upon.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another reason to stick with the manufacturers extended warranty is that it's not unsual for 3rd part companies to go out of business...at least in the US it isn't.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get the ext. warranty after sales (with 3 years and 60,000km) but they will charge you a LOT more (unfortunately, toyota.ca has no mention of this so I guess dealerships are using this lack of statement to their advantage). They wanted $1,500 for a Corolla up to 7 years, 120,000km and if we didn't take it, they said they'll charge my friend nearly $3k if we come back later. :eek:

As others have mentioned, it only applies to a US-spec car and TCI will honour it only if it was bought for a US car that was imported into Canada.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks David for the clarification.

12. Author

Author New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dominic, I see you are from Halifax also...must have bought from O'Reagan's like me.

I wonder, do you really need the extended warranty? Most major problems are covered by recall warranty. I've never had occasion to use any extended warranty in 40 years of driving, and no longer buy it with new car purchases.

13. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

yes i bought mine at O'Reagan's in Dartmouth. I'm still on the fence yet as if I am happy or not with the service. nobody mentionned anything to me about the customization you could have on your car, i had to find out when reading the manual (which of course was after i bought the car, once i was at home!) now they want to charge me 1 hour time to remove the annoying beeping when in reverse. i think that's a little extreme.

I also got body side mouldings installed. however, i am rather unhappy with where they put it. i think it's simply WAY too low...

but i'm drifting away from subject now...

as for the warranty, i have the option to buy it later from the dealership, but it seems to me like a lot of money. as to if i need it, well it's the first time i buy a brand new vehicule, so i am not sure. but usually, problems have a tendency to appear once the warranty is over. it's not really if you'll need it or not for me, it's more peace of mind if something DOES go wrong.

14. Author

Author New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I certainly understand the "comfort zone" an extended warranty can provide. I bought diesel VWs for years from Hillcrest with EWs, but never had occasion to use them. Minor/major hiccups were always looked after by special (often secret) warranty.

I moved to Toyota, only because VW Canada wouldn't bring in the Polo from Europe. Prius was my second choice, but after almost six months, I'm more than happy with that choice.

Good luck with your decision!

15. A_Man

A_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ECP information can be found on toyota canada's website

It won't allow me to post a URL as a new member, so simply go to TOYOTA CANADA : For Owners > Extra Care Protection > New Vehicle Program > Pricing

Based on this, the MSRP for the extended warranty is the same as what is quoted on the build and price pages, and Deferred Purchase Surcharges are listed at the bottom - these range from $50 to $200 on avg (up to 3 years later) - only thing is that you may be in a better negotiating position at the time you are buying the car, rather than if you walk in 3 years later.

Hope this helps. I am also currently debating about the now or later - will be buying the Prius soon - sad that Troy's warranty prices don't work for cars bought in Canada