1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty on New Gen III is BAD IDEA!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by healthylaugh, Aug 12, 2009.

1. healthylaugh

healthylaugh boughtalottatoyotas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My friend got stung on this and it was a couple hours to unwind it, so I thought I'd share. Please read this immediately prior to heading to the dealer to pick up your new vehicle:

DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES on electronics (especially) or new vehicles... (see consumer champion Clark Howard for more info: www.clarkhoward.com) :cheer2:

What prompted this post:

I drove my friend to pick up her new Prius and then buggered off to run errands. Upon my return, I learned they had bamboozled her into the extended warranty (EW just under $2,000--and notice how they price it right there so you don't think it's really $2,000 because it's a few bucks under with tax--funny how that works, eh?:rolleyes:).

Here are the economics:

1) You're buying a Toyota Prius because it's dependable in the first place. NEVER buy an EW on any vehicle check rated by Consumer Reports, which the Prius has been.

2) Take the $2,000 and put it in YOUR pocket (ie. savings account, ok I know they aren't yielding much at the moment), not the dealer's coffers. There are HUGE markups (profit for the salesman/dealer) on EWs, so how can it be good for you as a consumer?? In fact, it might be the biggest or one of the biggest profit centers on a new car today.

3) Buying the EW at time of purchase DOES YOU NOTHING for 3 years or 36,000 miles (you already have factory warranty for that).

4) The chances of you needing a $2,000+ repair over the first 5-6 years or 72,000 miles of ownership are slim. If you don't, the warranty was a waste, wasn't it?

5) What if the EW company goes bust (and for this reason you NEVER even consider 3rd party warranties EVER)

6) These EWs are NOTORIOUS FOR DENYING REASONABLE CLAIMS. Do you want to fight these reprobates over mice type on the contract? Not me...

7) If you really think you need an EW, wait until your Toyota Factory Warranty is about to expire and explore it then, bearing in mind what you've read above. DO NOT ALLOW THE DEALER to intimidate you with all this "advanced computers that are really expensive to replace" crap. The Gen II was one of the most reliable cars on the road, despite it's "advanced computer" stuff. There is no reason to believe that the III will differ. If there is a problem with a computer component, it will likely be recalled, which you the consumer will not pay for either.

PLAY THE ODDS--the chances of you needing it are slim. If you happen to be unlucky, blame it on my proslethizing but don't kick yourself because it really would simply be bad luck, especially in the case of this vehicle and its track record.

I hope that helps. BE STRONG--do not give into sales tactics that have no basis in fact and do not make good economic sense. :cool:

11 people like this.
  2. mplsman

mplsman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes my dealer tried to talk me into this aswell. I said that if a new Toyota couldn't last five years without needing that kind of money spent on repair, then I shouldn't be buying one. He shut up after that.

1 person likes this.
  3. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Extended warranties are not completely unlike insurance. Whether you need insurance or not depends on your tolerance for risk, your ability to pay for unexpected repairs, your peace of mind, etc.

Ultimately, a blanket statement that they are a bad deal is very unfair. It really depends on what you pay for it. For example, some would say that paying MSRP on a new vehicle is a bad deal, yet many people do just that on high demand models. Extended warranties are little different. If you pay sticker price, it takes a lot to go wrong to recoup your premium.

Some dealers discount OEM warranties by up to 50%. Depending on the original warranty and exclusions and such, that may not be an awful bet, depending on what you actually pay.

Also, there are a couple reasons some people may wish to buy one when they purchase a vehicle. I don't know about Toyota, but some companies like Honda include roadside assistance with their extended warranty. With a AAA membership going for $56 a year here, that's a nice perk. Plus, it can be financed at the time of sale, also not a bad deal if you get a 0% or low interest rate.

I reluctantly bought one for my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I got a nice deal on a 7/75 Honda plan for around $700. About $400 of equivalent AAA coverage for 7 years made the price more like $300 to me. Haven't used that yet, but I did have a power sliding door repair after the factory warranty. I'm about break even now with 3 years to go. I figured it was a good bet when I bought it. Had I paid full price that was like $1500 or something, it may never have paid off.

I'm not advocating an extended warranty. They usually are bad deals, especially 3rd party ones. But, like almost anything else, a smart buyer might be able to turn one into a legitimate gamble, probably a better one than the stock market in any case! I'm leaning against buying one for the Prius at this time. The 6/60 powertrain and 8/100 hybrid warranty cover a lot. On the other hand, first year models are prone to a few more issues. I'm in no rush to research it at this point. I'll probably pass unless I start hearing about a lot of problems...

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. She should go back to the dealer and cancel the extended warranty. If it's the genuine Toyota extended warranty, she can cancel it within 30 days and get a FULL refund. After 30 days, the refund is pro-rated.

2. The Toyota extended warranty can be a good insurance buy if you get it at the right price. PriusChat offers Toyota's best and longest extended warranty - the Extra Care Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible - for the discounted price of $1055.

3. I strongly suggest that she wait until 35 months or 35,000 miles (whichever comes first) to make the decision about the extended warranty. That way she will be better informed as to (1) the car's reliability and whether the need for the extended warranty will justify its cost, and (2) which extended warranty to get in terms of maximum years or miles -- note that she can save hundreds more off that PriusChat $1055 discounted price if she elects an extended warranty with fewer maximum years and/or miles, as may be appropriate for her anticipated future driving usage.

4. Here's the thread about the Toyota extended warranties and prepaid maintenance plans available at a discount on PriusChat:

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

2 people like this.
  5. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I bought an extended warranty against stains on my furniture. Sure enough I got a stain, and it took me 3 MONTHS to resolve the claim with the warranter. They ignored my calls, and when on the phone would tell me they'd put the claim in and not...it was the biggest headache over FURNITURE! I could only imagine what a ripoff it would be for a car...

6. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all,

I've listened to the Clark Howard Show on afternoon radio for awhile now, and he is 'quite' the champion for the consumer in all kinds of financial/purchasing situations; His focus is on the consumer getting the best deal and not allowing unscrupulous businesses or sellers take advantage of you. He also recommends many consumer friendly venues. I recommend that everyone should check him out. Although I have not visited his web site (www.ClarkHoward.com), I have heard his commentary on purchasing extended warranties. He makes a lot of valid arguments for his ideas against an immediate purchase.

Having said that, however, purchasing the EW is purely a personal decision. It is based on one's comfort level and risk taking factors. My co-worker's Gen II needed a new computer at 60,000 miles and he felt good about having purchased an EW. My current car is a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon LTD. I purchased the EW and I don't believe I ever used it, or certainly didn't have repairs that added up to the cost of the warranty. I don't regret purchasing it, but my problems started long after the warranty expired.

My new car will be a 2010 Prius IV, which I did pay MSRP for. (there were no deals there, and I wanted the car...getting a break on the price would have been great but I wanted the car more than the savings right now).

I will consider purchasing an EW, but luckily I don't have to make that decision yet. I'll probably start revisiting the idea in the 1-2 year range when we'll all have better idea of some of the problems occurring with the 2010. By then, I also will have better recovered from the cost of buying a new car.

This is all just more food for thought... we're fortunate that we have the time to think about what our needs are for an EW and we don't have to feel pressured by the dealers to buy one immediately. After all, they're in the business of making money, and we're the one's handing it over.

Jennifer ;0) ;)

7. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys are absolutely correct, I talked my mom out of an EW for her forester, its been a few months & I'm still convincing her it was the right decision.

I think dealerships love to take advantage of women buyers, women should always bring a guy with them who knows more about cars than the salesman.

8. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This excellent advice pretty much sums it up. Have her walk back in and ask for a refund. She has every right to do so up until 30 days from the point of sale.

Bryan

9. healthylaugh

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Guess I didn't explain this well or people are missing it because it's right at the beginning of my OP...

At the dealership, I read all the mice type on her EW contract and it was 10 days to get a full refund (if the warranty was unused, of course), so I encouraged my friend to stay and get it rescinded immediately. She's very non-confrontational, so I wanted to do it with me there because I was unwavering.

We agreed that she would not take the $400 paint treatment and scotch guard ripoff they'd also crammed her with and get a refund for that, also.

Well, everyone at the dealer who could help us was conveniently "busy" for over an hour, hoping we'd head home and forget about it.

We waited (and I'm trying to save PriusChat Members the agony in this EW issue and a painful recision decision like this). She saved $2,400 and she's very happy.

As far as it being a personal choice. Everything in life is, so that goes without saying. The extended warranty, however, is a bad bet. The statistics don't lie, so please don't misconstrue my intent. The choice is purely yours.

If you want to make the smart play, the EW is a bad idea. Some responders have continued to refer to their "risk tolerance," etc.

Again, if you think you're solving your risk by buying the warranty, I have another way to look at it:

If you buy the EW, you're taking a far worse statistical risk that you will "waste" your EW dollars.

And, finally, read my original post. I agree that if you are going to consider buying one, wait until the warranty is about to expire and assess the reliability of this new model before making a decision THEN (as responders have reiterated).

STAY STRONG and HAVE RESOLVE BEFORE SIGNING YOUR PAPERWORK... I contend you will enjoy your new vehicle more if you haven't made this high-pressure wager, especially armed with the facts.

10. healthylaugh

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Boo, I know you're a veteran here, but I respectfully submit that this EW on PriusChat should be approached with healthy skepticism because:

"WarrantyShack.com is not affiliated with the TOYOTA, LEXUS, and SCION brands and logos, or Toyota Motor Corporation. The TOYOTA, LEXUS and SCION marks and designs shown in this website are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation and are used by WarrantyShack solely for the purpose of reference and comparison. The TOYOTA, LEXUS and SCION marks and designs may not be used, downloaded, copied or distributed in any way without prior approval from Toyota Motor Corporation"

Is this a 3rd party warranty? Many of these 3rd party companies complete a ton of sales for a "good deal," and then skip town in what's called a "bust out."

After a plethora of consumer complaints, authorities will show up at the listed address of the 3rd Party EW company, only to find it literally abandonded, often with the filing cabinets, furniture, and telephones still in the office--they leave in a real Bernie Madoff hurry...

In an era where we're seeing well established, historical icons like GM and Chrysler, large financial institutions, and the like going belly up, you're going to trust your hard-earned dough to a 3rd Party Warranty Company???!!! :hurt:

Furthermore, if they stay in business yet deny your claim (not at all uncommon with companies that are soooo user friendly at time of purchase, then turn into Scrooge after they have your $$), then where do you turn?

This would make a bad bet monstrously worse, IMHO.

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely no personal, direct, 1st hand knowledge of WarrantyShack.com or its operations/practices and they could be totally legit, the best warranty company in existence, and remain in business forever. I'm basing my opinions on common industry practices and documented history. And as always, past results in no way dictate future performance.

So, Boo, does PriusChat or its operators/officers benefit in any way from these sales?

I'm not making any accusations, I'm just curious?

11. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    heathylaugh,

I bought EW from Troy (warrantyShack.com). I know what I got. It is GENUINE TOYOTA WARRANTY (I hope this is loud enough for you). So many of senior members here have bought from Troy and some even used it. Are we all stupid?

Some of your advices are valid points.
    However, for $700 I got for my '05 to cover 7yr/80K.
    Any non-hybird component failure would have costed more than $500 easily. There have been many (not slim chance) MFD failures reported for '04-'05. Each costs more than $1000 to repair at dealer.

Again, EW has been beaten to death as a topic here.
    It is personal financial decision one has to make. Calling it a "waste of money" is insulting to people who cannot afford risks. (you know that there are people who live from paycheck to paycheck, right?)
    You also loose money statistically buying medical insurance. Why do you have it?
    That's right. You probably can't afford the risk of having to pay $100K out of pocket.
    Well, some people can't afford to pay $1-2k expectedly. Different amounts, same reasoning.

For Toyota warranty, $2000 is a ripoff.
    Below $1000 is a great deal. (7yr/80K-100K)

Statistics is useful information BEFORE you buy a vehicle. Once you GOT one, statistics does not apply to yours anymore. Your luck kicks in. Keep your fingers crossed. There are lemons from Toyota (like all other brands).
    Search the web for such horrible stories.

Seriously, think about canceling your medical insurance. They are statistically bad financial investment. So is life insurance, etc.

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The only EW available on the Prius in Germany/EU that I am aware of is the one offered directly from Toyota. It is not offered by default from the sales person, as it is clear that it makes sense to buy it withing the 3rd year of standard warranty offered in the EU for the non-hybrid parts (5 years on the hybrid parts).
    If you want, you can then buy the extension from Toyota, for the next 2 years, for about 200€ - if I understood correctly. I would never sign an extension for 2000€, considering also the quality (or supposed quality) of Toyota.
    Nobody/3rd party in EU would ever offer an EW on a Prius (or any other car/manufacturer for that matter) - I don't even think it is legal. Warranty in EU is only guaranteed from the manufacturer who is responsible for all repairs that fall under such warranty.

13. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your rant is something I would expect after seeing your icon. One sided opinion with a little truth mixed in and based on worst case scenario's. The warranty offered by Troy is the Toyota Warranty. I wouldn't recommend a third party warranty either. They do go bust. Toyota willnot go bust and you won't have to argue with them. As for stain warranties and the like, they are third party and I would never recommend them

These Toyota warranties are indeed insurance. Insurance is arguably only good when you use it. The rest of the time it simply assures you that you won't have to spend anymore than what you put into the warranty. Now that Toyota offers a 125K mile warranty I consider it a nice feature just for the resale of the vehicle to a second owner. I really didn't want one until the 125K option came out. I would never consider a uned car with 80K+ miles on it without some guarentee's. I think the 125K warranty will almost pay for itself when you go to sell your car. And BTW, not I wouldn't pay $2K for it.

Your response about pricing it just under $2000 makes me think you are young and inexperienced. This has been a marketing ploy for decades and may have worked for some. But any adult knows that $1999 is actually 2 grand.

Your rant on WarrantyShack, and then you disclaimer on not accusing them or knowing anything about them is typical of the rest of your commentaries. You don't know what you're talking about.

15. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My "business manager" (the guy who did the paperwork at delivery) had a list of extended warranties (paint, interior, undercoating, etc.) The "road hazard" was one that I have had on all my new tires. However, theirs was $599!!! I thought it was a typo. Surely they meant like $5.99 for each tire or something? No, I questioned him and he said it was $599 for the tire package. I said "couldn't I buy 4 new tires for that amount?" (suddenly wondering just how expensive these tires are) :eek:

He nodded once and quietly turned to the next page.

16. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I feel it is way over priced for the length and mileage. When I bought my last Volvo I was offered a 5 yr unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty for $555. It was such a bargain I couldn't pass it up. I was in sales at the time and piling up mileage at a good rate.

There were people with 200K-250K miles on their car collecting on those warranties.

If Toyota offered a factory extended warranty for 10yr, 100K miles for under $1K, I would consider buying it. Third party no way.

Any modern car that is properly maintained should run relatively problem free for at least 150K.

17. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Statistics require data. Data on how much was paid. Data on the coverage. Data on the provider. Data on repair frequency. Data on cost of repairs. Etc. Statistics do indeed lie, as they are easily and often omitted or twisted. So far, I've seen no statistics regarding Prius warranties or repairs.

Even cars with above average reliability are likely to have a couple repair visits over the years after the factory warranty expires. The question is how costly those repairs will be vs. the up front cost of an extended warranty.

Dealers and manufacturers sell these things to make money. They make a ton at sticker price. When heavily discounted, it's possible for both parties to come out ahead. The reason is that the consumer pays higher prices on parts and labor than does the manufacturer through their arrangements with the dealer.

Would you turn down a Toyota 7/100 EW if it was $1000 instead of $2000? What about if it was $800? $500? $300? $10? There's a cost where it becomes a reasonable gamble. The question is where is that cost for a 2010 Prius. I'm sure you could dig up some theoretical numbers for a 2nd Gen Prius from Consumer Reports or True Delta or somewhere if you really wanted to prove your point. Add an amount because the 2010 is "all new" and you have a starting point for an interesting discussion.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why yes, throwing away $1000 is certainly a better deal than throwing away $2000.

EWs are always priced to make a profit for the seller, not for the buyer. If they didn't make a profit for the seller the seller would go out of business. Period, end of discussion, no statistics required. On average you will not get your money back. You might as well play roulette. Use that $1000 to reduce the amount you finance or buy a 12 month bank CD, and you will get more value from it. Nothing gives "peace of mind" like "cash in hand".

If you cannot afford the low possibility of paying for a major repair out-of-pocket on your new car, that is strong evidence that you really cannot afford to buy a new car.

1 person likes this.
  19. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with many that have posted in this tread. The extended warranty is a waste of money.

I have a 2000 4Runner with 305,000 miles. Over the last 10 years I have had less then $1,000 in total repairs. Most of the repairs happen in the last 3 years that never would be covered by the extended warranty. Do not waste your money.

The old and new

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With this type of rigid thinking, as ceric said above, you would also cancel any other form of insurance you have. Life, medical, auto, etc. They're all priced to make a profit for the seller. Thus, no value to the buyer. End of discussion, no statistics required. On average, you will not get your money back. Keep your cash in hand and peace of mind.

Or maybe you think these types of insurance differ because you don't pay them up front? Or they aren't as expensive per payment? Or the potential risk is greater? Or the odds of catastrophe are different? Well, yeah, there are variables that might make them a good gamble, just as there are with extended auto warranties.

1 person likes this.