1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheEnglishman, Aug 29, 2013.

1. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Prius used a couple months ago and sprung for the extended warranty (3yr/36,000 mile) since it had 81K miles at the time. It added like $20 a month to my payments on a five year loan, and I feel it just wasn't worth it now.

I'd like to know

A. Is the warranty worth it?

B. Do I have any cancellation options even though 60 days have passed? I haven't claimed any services through the warranty.

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    how can you buy an 3yr/36k extended warranty if the car already has 81k miles on it?

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Extended warranties on a used car is a great idea. However, paying 1200.00 dollars
    for a warranty with those limited coverage periods is crazy. You can buy a 7 year 100K
    warranty for about $750.00 The dealer raped you and I bet the warranty is a minimum
    coverage warranty with a deductible too. Not a good decision on your part. Sorry!

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would be willing to bet it is a aftermarket warranty that is not issued by Toyota. Toyota is very strict on how they offer warranties. Even the CPO only come with a 12 month 12K mile and a extended warranty on the powertrain up to 100K. Of course the traditional hybrid warranty would still be in effect as the odometer has not passed the thresholds disclosed in said warranty. There is also a one year roadside clause in there also. For more information, please refer to the following.

Used Toyota Warranty | Extended Warranty for Used Toyotas

5. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Aftermarket warranty!

6. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically all I'm getting from you guys is that a warranty is good for used, but taking Toyota's high price without researching was idiotic. Now for part B.?

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Untie that shoe :ROFLMAO:

8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The answer to Part B is in your warranty paperwork. You'll find it in the reading of it. I suspect you can cancel the warranty with a prorated charge but let the warranty speak for itself.

Often the extended warranty from a dealer is primarily for additional profit. Reading the warranty will detail what is covered, then you can piece together what is not covered and have a better idea if the coverage makes sense for the Prius, one of the most reliable cars on the road.