1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty worth it/needed?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Species5618w, May 13, 2013.

1. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Just ordered a 2012 Prius C (based model, equivalent to Two I think) and I am wondering whether extended warranties are worth it for this car. I have always admired Toyota quality. However, I am a bit worried about the various technologies involved. According to the dealership fear mongering, the 3.5 multi-display alone will cost me $6000 to replace.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Take a moment and look at what the extended warranty covers, now look at the list of what it doesn't cover, take ten minutes and read it again, save your money;)

3. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I should add that the only reason I am considering it is because it's refundable. i.e. if I don't use the warranty in the extra 4 years, it would be refunded in total at the end of 7 years. It also comes with free road side assistance and 8 oil changes (unlike lucky Americans, no complementary Toyota Care north of the border).

It's super expensive though. $3234 + tax = $3650. Troy quoted $1000 for the same service (without the freebies and potential refund of course).

4. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was also subjected to this fear-mongering.

After spending a good amount of money, I was not in the mood to be coerced into spending more. I got fed up and just said to the dealer, "Listen, I don't feel like I need this extended warranty. There is a reason why I came to Toyota, and that is because their products are good quality, correct? In that case, I don't know why you are trying to push this on me when I chose not to go with a lower-quality car company."

I agree with the previous comment, though. Take a look at what is covered and what is not. Of course there is always a risk, but if you are the type of person who will take care of the car, then I would lean towards declining the extended warranty.

Not sure if there is anyone on this forum who has had any "extraordinary" problems with their Prii.

It's your decision in the end. Good luck!

5. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Thank you both. Decided to not get it. What's life without a little risk, right? :)

minkus likes this.
  6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my dealers 100k mile warranty (bumper to bumper - everything is covered) for about $1100.

twalatimer likes this.
  7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Careful... if they told you bumper to bumper... they lied to you. They quit selling those years ago.

BigC likes this.
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My dealership was extremely careful to never use those words... "Bumper to Bumper" and actually corrected me when I would say it.

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My bad, I should have said "Extended Service Agreement".

ztanos likes this.
  10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I meant the bumper to bumper part... you might want to look over what all it actually covers.

11. twalatimer

twalatimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just bought a 2013 C, my extended service agrrement goes to 125k (bumper to bumper or I should say power-train) and was around 1200....3 years or 100k and I am trading it in for a new one, I just wanted to make sure I don't have anything (minimum) come out of pocket for repairs.