1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Armyguy03, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Morning PCers,

Looks like I'll be joining the Prius family in a week. Got a great deal on a 2011 Prius 3. Toyota Care service records show it's been in every 5k miles for routine oil service, to include changing the oil filter. There were no reported issues during routine service, and the vehicle looks fantastic. I'm super excited for the Solar roof. I worked really hard to get the price down to commit, and am asking you all for advice. The vehicle has almost 42k miles and I am considering purchasing an extended warranty. Is this something that I should do to cover all the electrical components of the car, so I can drive worry free?

Additionally, I will likely be deploying within a years time frame, so for 9 months the vehicle will not be used, but stored by a company that tends to the vehicle, they will keep a small electrical current running to the car to ensure the batteries don't go completely dead due to non use for the extended period of time. As usual, any and all advice is appreciated.

Army

2. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, you can not buy Toyota's extended warranty. Must be purchased before 3 years/36K miles... Third party warranty is an option. It may not be good idea.

3. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They have offered me an extended Toyota Warranty, the Plait. version.

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's the genuine Toyota Plantinum warrant it could be expensive. However the car being out of B to B warranty it might be a nice thing to have. It just depends on how much it going to cost you and what it will cover.

5. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bumper to Bumper, 3 year, 1700. I contacted the PC warranty rep and he informed me that because its out of warranty, he cannot aide me, but the dealership can sell cars they sell. I might try to get a longer one for a small fraction more.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would definitely shop and read the fine print if you do buy.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tell them no. Prius is way too reliable. There are lots of threads here on PriusChat about extended warranties, and there's strong agreement that they just aren't worth it, because these cars have proven to be incredibly reliable.

8. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's where I'm going back and forth. I'm covered for anything under the hood and batteries, but anything else it'll be all me. What if something in my monitor gives, or the nav system craps out on me? Those aren't covered under anything, and could be pricey.

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But $1,700? Not likely. The drivetrain -- engine and transmission -- are warranted to 60,000 miles. The hybrid system -- the big battery and the inverter -- are covered to 100,000 or 150,000, depending on your state.

To equal or exceed $1,700, you're talking major repair -- engine, transmission, inverter or traction battery. All of those items are still warranted on your car. I the Nav goes, you can pop in an aftermarket unit for $500-$700. Here's what Consumer Reports said about a ten year-old Prius:
    Ten-Year Old Toyota Hybrid Priuses Defy Early Critics

What's more, $1,700 is a total ripoff. Here on PriusChat, you can buy the Genuine Toyota Platinum 7 year/100,000 mile warranty for $1,050. That's $650 less and one year more than you're being offered:
    Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts | PriusChat

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would vote agains it too, given your circumstances. The clock will be running while you are deployed and getting no benefit. Also, I question the trickle charging; is that for the auxilliary battery? Good idea, IMHO. But if they are telling you they will charge the hybrid battery, I would want the experts here to weigh in.
    Finally, thank you for your service, Armyguy!(y)

11. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    THANK YOU!
    I was looking for confirmation on Not getting a 3-yr BtoB on a 2011 Prius, with 22K miles for $18,400. Good service record. The dealer want's to sell me one, I said No, let me sleep on it first. Plus it would bump my payments more than I want. BUT, I will take it to a Toyota dealer (I'm buying it at a Ford dlr) on my first day off and have them do a full service on it. Ya never know...

12. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought a 2010 with 88k miles and bought a aftermarket warranty for 1500.00 48/4 year, it covers most hybrid parts., I got he car for a great price 7k so I normally don't add a warranty but did this time package 3 with solar roof