1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tenortodd, Jun 19, 2014.

1. tenortodd

tenortodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Prius Four is 2 weeks old and I'm wondering about getting the extended warranty. How many of you did? How many of you were saved from expensive repairs? I normally wouldn't get one...but there's lots of expensive equipment in this car...

2. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I actually bought one from the dealer on my 2013. Only have 16,000 miles and still under warranty. I was thinking like you, I plan on keeping the car a long time and there are a lot of expensive parts and/or potential for expensive repairs.

3. Vasyliy Melnyk

Vasyliy Melnyk New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the extended 7 year warranty for the drivetrain and bumper to bumper for my 2013 Prius THREE. Looking back I think I made a good decision, I'll have 7 worry-free years. Try to lower the price of the warranty if they let you.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    r u in a carb state?

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts | Page 81 | PriusChat

If you decide to get a warranty, check this link.

I had one on my 2005 Prius II had for seven years. I fell short of break even by about 250 dollars. This time just like last time I will wait until I either have 34,000 miles or 35 months on regular warranty. If I think I am having a problem, then I will make a decision at that time to buy or not to buy.
    Enjoy your new car!(y)

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Consumer Reports has done the research. Their conclusion - an extended warranty is not cost efficient.

7. ALMAL

ALMAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's a hit or miss, at least you have peace of mind in case of emergency. I was not planning on getting it but the Finance person told me you have Prius Five, navi, heads up display, PCS, and others.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Bad investment. If you have major repairs it will be after your extended warranty expires.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And in 90000 miles I haven't had any problems. On average, if the extended warranty is a good deal for the buyer then you shouldn't buy the car and the dealer wouldn't be selling the warranty.

10. ALMAL

ALMAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a newbie to the Prius so it's an insurance policy for me.

11. Freefall_Doug

Freefall_Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think JimN hit the nail on the head.
    Warranty companies know that on average you will cost them less than the warranty earned them in revenue, just like insurance.

Every time a sales person tries to sell me one for a new or used car I tell them no. I usually get them to stop pushing when I say that you are trying to sell me a warranty on my car with 30k miles that covers 35k miles, etc, so your telling me you think the car is going to have a thousand plus dollar repair by 65k? If that is the case you can keep your junky car!

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No issues in 90k miles here.

It is foolish to insure (or purchase a warranty) anything that you can afford to replace.