1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mil2008, Oct 22, 2019.

1. mil2008

mil2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a local 2008 Prius with 145000 miles. The dealership is offering an extended warranty for 2 years/27,000 miles. The warranty doesn't cover the Prius hybrid or hybrid parts. It covers the basic transmission, engine, and the information below. Do you think the extended warranty is needed for a Prius?

ABS Brakes: Accumulator, Electronic control processor, Hydraulic pump, Motor assembly, Isolation dump value, Pressure modulator valve, Wheel speed sensors. (ABS Brakes not available on 90 or 180 day agreements).

Advanced Electrical: Convertible top motor, Door lock actuators and switches, Electronic ignition module, Electric water pump, MAP Sensor, Mass Air Flow sensors, Oxygen sensors, Power mirror motors and switches, Power window motors, switches and regulators, Seat motors and switches, Sunroof motor. (Advanced Electrical not available on 90 or 180 day agreements).

Air Conditioning: Accumulator, Compressor, Clutch, Compressor clutch bearing, Condenser, Dryer/receiver, Evaporator, Expansion Valve, Orifice tube.

Brakes: Booster and Valve, Calipers, Hydro booster, Master cylinder, Power vacuum assist, Steel brake lines and hoses, Wheel cylinders.

Cooling System: Electric radiator fan motor, Fan and clutch, Radiator, Thermostat, Water pump.

Diagnostics: First Hour is covered

Electrical System: Alternator, Front and Rear wiper motor assembly, Horn, Rear window defroster switch, Starter motor assembly.

Fuel System: Fittings, Fuel lines, Primary Fuel Pump.

Rental Car Reimbursement

Turbo/Supercharger: (OEM only) All internally lubricated parts, Bearings and housing, Shafts, Vanes, Wastegate (required charge applies).

Steering: Gear box, Power steering pump, Rack and pinion, Tie rod ends.

Suspension: Leaf and coil springs (only if broken), Pitman arms, Spindles, Upper and lower ball joints, Upper and lower control arms, Wheel bearings.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Warranties like that are almost always a scam... Sure they'll give you a long impressive list of all the things it covers. What they won't show you much of is a very short paragraph of all the reasons they'll give to weasel out of covering any of those costs and like it or not if you sign the agreement you are agreeing to all the weasel words that they don't let you see too much of.

Instead, take the money and put it in a separate bank account and then after 2 years of not spending it on car repairs, go on a nice vacation!!!

SFO likes this.
  3. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car was bought at 145k miles needing front wheel bearings.

I have pretty much done nothing with zero major problems (it burns oil and has a P0456 "very small evap leak" code) but it has 227K miles now. Did rear struts "just because" at the start of summer - mainly because I was driving Uber and wanted rear passengers to have a smoother ride.

I've bought/sold dozens and the only thing that might happen is AC go out but every single failure that can happen is pretty rare.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tempting. is the brake actuator on extended warranty?

how much $$$?

5. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not all extended warranties are scams.

As a car dealer I researched a lot before I started selling/offering a warranty with my auto sales. Your best bet is to check the reviews of Said company. If you don’t mind me asking what company and what are you paying?

Some companies so offer hybrid battery coverage. The one I sell does.

The company I deal with does pay. And customers have shown me their checks from the company. And also on a side note I also do the repairs too when they arise and claim it thru the warranty and have never had an issue.