1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jfrank, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really have to read the fine print. Had a Ford Ranger that I bought a warranty for. Same conditions of repayment if not used. Imagine my surprise when a factory warranty repair counted as a repair under the extended warranty - so no money back.

Also how many $100 repairs do you want to eat to get you $950 back?

2. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You are using 2005 consumer reports as your argument? How about something a little more current? Toyota's perceived reliability is no where near what it once was. And also with $85 labor rates there is no such thing as a $100 repair.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far I am in your corner on car extended warranties. They are so full of loop holes and exclusions to be sure that the plan issuer makes money.

It takes an attorney and a certified mechanic to decipher just how worthwhile an extended warranty is. :mad:

4. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC, recent reliability ratings on the Prius were still to the 2005 levels.

You have a point about labor rates, and parts are expensive. But I just came off of about 8 years with a Subaru Baja with 65k miles. Never had a warranty issue. Just brakes done, a new battery, and new tires.

Give me a Toyota back extended warranty with the only honest wear and tear exclusions for 7 years or 100k for $750 that is transferable for let's say $75-100; then I might buy in....