1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extension Cord

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Chris11, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord and decided to test the whole charging operation at my business ... since I needed to know if all would be well when I attempt to charge the car at varied motels while on a long trip, which will be coming up in 3 weeks . At my house I simply plug into a spare outlet in my garage but this was the first time I used my extension cord for "read time" charging as a test, and at a distance.

The wall plug I used at my business was at the very end of an 80 foot run (from the breaker panel) of the in-wall circuit. So with my 50 foot extension running outside from the 80 foot in-wall run I attached my similar to the "killawatt" thingy and read the voltage once it was charging. It was only putting out 114 volts. Amps were at 12.3 and wattage was usually the multiple of V*A when I used my handy dandy calculator. My concern was the voltage loss. So I kept my eye on all components of the charging operation. Including feeling the breaker for heat.

All went well. The total charge took 2 3/4 hours, which is the normal time at home. Nothing seemed amiss and I'm more than happy that I'll be able to use the extension while traveling....assuming each motel will give me permission.

I was concerned that the low voltage would do some bad stuff but now I'm thinking the Toyota engineers took varied voltage into account when they made the on-car electronic charger.

Thoughts?

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've gone as low as 104volts with no problems

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've used a 100 foot 12 gauge extension cord many times without any problems.

5. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wish I'd seen your printout PriusKitty before I worried myself stupid....err, stupider. I must admit I spent my 2 3/4 hours running around checking everything for heat and smoke. :)

I can only assume Toyota "prohibits" the use of an extension cord to stop the fools who would attempt to use an 18 to 22 gauge Harbor Freight special.

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it was in the "Attention Kill A Watt Nerds" thread

7. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good to know Plugable. Hopefully now other can see there's no problem with using an adequate extension cord.

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are at least 3 reasons for Toyota's concern about using extension cords

1. Voltage drop over a long distance with too small a gauge cord, solved by using a 10 or 12 gauge cord
    2. The cord before the "brick" (on the EVSE) is not ground fault protected, unless the outet you are using is, solved by using a GFCI outlet, but that coud be a potential liability lawsuit, if someone is electrocuted.
    3. Tripping hazard. As the cord becomes longer, it could become a tripping hazard, so be careful of the route you place the cord in. Is it crossing a walkway? Potential lawsuit from someone tripping over it.

If you use common sense and are aware of the potential issues, there's no inherit problem with using an extension cord.

9. yukit

yukit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord as well. Slightly ogg-topic, but as the rain season is approaching in California, I want to find a waterproof bag to store the extension cord in the car, and also use it to cover the EVSE in the rain.

I know that EVSE itself is waterproof, but I figure extra protection wouldn't hurt. I can always use a grocery store or Home Depot plastic bag to wrap the EVSE; it is a bit ghetto ;)

I looked at some "document bags" and tool-carrying bags, but they are sub-optimal for what I need.
    Any recommendations for less than $20?

10. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The voltage drop across the extension cord is caused by the cord resistance. A bigger wire has less resistance for the same length cord. The power dropped across the cord causes the cord to heat. This is lost energy. If cord heat is too high, the cord will be damaged and can start a fire. There is voltage drop across the whole charging cord, even without an extension. That is why Toyota asks us not to wrap up the cord, or cover it. A coiled cord cannot properly dissipate the heat. This same "do not wrap or cover" rule applies to the extension cord, too.

11. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So is there a good but cheap source for these extension cords, or are you guys just getting them at the local Home Depot/Lowes store?

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. Don't stay in a Motel unless they allow you to plug in.

14. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    YUKIT,

I've been using CordPro (the medium size). Search this site for CordPro. I uploaded pix of EVSE in its CordPro. Never a problem during use, very handy small-size cord management package and it actually fits in the hidey-hole slot under the cargo floor. Note: the portable EVSE blue handle has five (5) -point star security screws, which the user needs to undo/redo to use the CordPro to its designed capability - it's covered in the CordPro thread.

16. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ...of course, the CordPro will work very well for just an extension cord without any disassembly/reassembly of the cord. Nice not to have to deal with long tangles in the cargo compartment.

17. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bump....

Looking for a extension cord solution, suggestion. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 extension cords already, one that is the same gauge and specs as the cord running from the CCID to plug, and 50 ft long. I can probably get by with 25-30 feet though. The other cord is a bit thicker, 12 gauge, and 100ft. Its one I already owned, but decided to buy the other cord to match the CCID wires and not have so much slack. Again 25-30 feet is all I need.

Here are some of my questions...

1. Is it better to go with the thicker wire to help ensure less currency is lost during travel? Does the thicker cable being 100 ft instead of 50 make a difference since the currency travels a longer distance? Should I buy a 12 gauge 30 footer?

2. What is the risk of using an extension cord; why doesn't toyota want you to do it?

3. Does the CCID need oxygen or anything like that? In case of sprinklers etc, I am thinking of altering a small storage bin to house the CCID and prong connector with the extension cord and EV cord coming out of opposite ends. The other option I was thinking is to put the CCID in the car with the EVC out the window. Any spot on the ground or driveway is going to get sprayed with water or have water running along it at some point as the driveway is elevated.

I figure with fear of theft and weather, someone must have made a device, or system of placing the CCID in the car so it cant get stolen etc. Hmm, maybe a tool box with a pad lock on it for public garages or something.

Thanks for reading.

18. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. Q 1. There is more resistance in a longer, thinner wire. I get by nicely with a 14 guage, 15 Ft extension.
    If you have a meter, plug in the extension and see if there is voltage loss. Q2 there is a small hole on the depress handle portion, a lock can be inserted there. I guess you have to park outside so that becomes a problem. The charging cable (EVSE) does not need anymore oxygen than we do. Should you have some extra, it won't hurt to breathe on it once in a while, not too often, they get spoiled. That link that was given to you should help you out on securing cable. You can search the site for almost any related Prius subject.

20. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the extension cord info.

I was thinking more of waterproofing/overheating than theft protection with the oxygen question. As much oxygen as we do? I was going to secure it in a moderately air tight plastic container. Something I definitely wouldn't lock myself in for a very long time...