1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extensive Spreadsheet shows PIP / Volt not for us

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jdonalds, Sep 25, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. just look at my spreadsheet hv numbers, try that with your typical gen III.

2. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We are blessed with heat in Redding, CA. We may have 40-60 days each summer in the 105-110 degree range for high temp of the day. It may drop into the 80's overnight. I've noticed a 2mpg loss with the AC in our 2008 Gen II.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Well after much work, factoring in everything I've read on this thread, reworking my spreadsheet, improving the numbers for both the PIP and Volt I have a conclusion. I do want to thank everyone for their inputs. They have been very informative and enlightening. Some of my assumptions and impressions of the cars have been altered.

Here is where I come out in the end. Again your situation, needs, desires, and wants may vary.

The bottom line. Total cost at the end of 9 years:

[​IMG]

Fuel cost:

[​IMG]

Bottom Line:
    Volt
    Lowest fuel cost. However the Volt simply costs more, due to the purchase price and my not being able to take advantage of the tax credit. It has no spare tire, seats only 4, and has just 10 cu ft of cargo space. So for me the Volt is simply off the table.

2008 Prius for 3 more years
    In either scenario keeping the Gen II for three more years, then later buying a PIP or a Gen IV, this plan loses on total cost. The reasons are extra cost of gas driving the Gen II for three more years, possible traction battery replacement, lower resale value 3 years later, and the inflation impact on the new car price three years down the line. I'm very surprised by this outcome but I've run the numbers two different ways and it always comes out the same.

PIP
    Second best fuel cost. Slightly higher total cost than other options due to the PIP price. No spare tire, flying buttress console. Having to deal with plugging in 2-3 times per day, extra electricity cost during the day (which I did not factor in yet) vs night.

Gen III
    While economically it works out the cheapest, the one feature I can't live with is the flying buttress console.

Gen IV
    This seems to be the best choice given cost and features. If it still has a flying buttress console I'm screwed.

I've searched quite a bit and can't find too much reliable data about the Gen IV. At least one speculator indicated that the console would be redesigned which I'm hoping for.

I would really like to drive in EV mode. It just looks like it's not going to work for me at this time. Perhaps Toyota will make some PIP changes in a new model that will change my outcome.

#63 jdonalds, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    (how do I delete this message?)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would let go of the "flying buttress" abhorrence. You get used to it. Lack of spare tire, not so easy.

People will jump in, say you can remedy the lack of spare tire: buy one, plunk it in the trunk. As someone mentioned (you?), that encroaches on cargo space, not to mention it could be a menace in a collision.

That aside, I'm in that cranky phase of life, where I'm not going to drop big bucks on a car, and then have to go hunting for a spare. And a spare is something I won't do without.

#65 Mendel Leisk, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Ashlem and markabele like this.
  6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mr. Donalds, you have received lots of advice from members here who put a lot more effort into studying and tracking the stats, but since I live fairly close to you, I thought I would share my experience. Reading your posts, I assume that you are planning for a daily trip over the Conejo grade to your son's school in Thousand Oaks. That grade will eat up your EV charge pretty quickly, as would the hill between Simi, where I live, and the SF Valley. What I have found is that switching to HV for freeway driving and keeping my speed around 60 mph results in fairly high fuel economy. I averaged 81 mpg overall (calculated) for the first 25k miles on my PiP, compared to 54.1 mpg for each of my Gen II's, with the same kind of driving. I do tend to save some EV range for coming back into Simi, and switch to EV as I hit the top of the hill on the 118 fwy. This would be similar to coming down the Camarillo side of the Conejo grade on the 101 fwy. That long downhill regen would probably recharge your EV range enough to get you back home, as long as you had not run completely out on the eastbound trip. I usually get around 13 miles out of a charge just driving in town, but sometimes get 15 to 16 miles. The best I ever did was between Simi and Camarillo via Santa Rosa Rd, and that was 17. I'm mostly retired, so do a lot of in town, EV driving, amounting to around 40%. HV trips typically give me mileage in the low 60's at freeway speeds in LA area traffic.
    As you mentioned, the HOV access isn't a selling point for you, since we don't as yet have any of those lanes in Ventura County. I do use them occasionally driving down to Orange County, and then drive at 70 mph when traffic allows. Other than that, I don't do road trips with the PiP. I did do a few in my '04 and'06, including coincidentally, to Redding.
    I have a full sized wheel and spare tied down in the cargo area. We mostly haul groceries, so it hasn't been a problem space-wise. I took friends to the airport the other day and put one large suitcase and two carry-ons back there with the spare.

7. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The console of the 'V' is different. It is more like your current model.

[​IMG]

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few things you may have missed:

1) California commuter lane access

2) When not charged, my 2012 PIP gets much better mileage than than my 2010 Prius. The 2010 got about 46-48 actual, and my Plug-in gets about 59 actual; again, that's without plugging in at all. I think the larger traction battery becomes s far larger capacitor for storing the car's kinetic energy

3) The advantage to plugging in nightly is that you'll buy gas only about once a month. This is s big time savings.

4) At ten years/150,000 miles, the traction battery warranty is up. This is about a $3,500 repair in a Prius, but prohibitively expensive in a Plug-in. However, it's most likely that the plug-in range will be reduced but the hybrid performance will remain for years, since it needs only about 1/6 battery capacity to function.

5) The Plug-in does not come with a spare tire.

Personally, I think the plug-in is better. Toyota sometimes runs rebates and other deals on it; keep an eye out for that; this is s good time of year for it.

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    My problem with the flying buttress is I have claustrophobia. When I sit in a Gen III the console impedes my ability to let my right leg relax and move to the right. This causes a panic feeling. It just won't work for me.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Well color me dumb for not updating my profile. As I said I spent a lot of time on Priuschat when we bought the 2008, then only recently returned here for updated research. I'll fix the profile in a few minutes. We've moved from Camarillo and now live in Redding.

Our son is into BMX riding and his bike fits in the cargo space of our Gen II. I doubut if it would fit in the Volt. We could always get a hitch and put the bike on the back. Other than that the cargo space does well around town. It's those long trips where we tend to run out of trunk space and have been forced into taking the 4Runner.

So our drive to school is from the North-West part of Redding to Palo Cedro. It involves a mix of city driving with stop signs and traffic signals, some freeway, a few miles of country roads, and hills throughout the entire ride.

Sadly almost all of our trips end with a 1/2 mile long grade, not anything like the 2 mile long Conejo grade, but it tends to bleed off average mpg at the end of every trip up that hill.

11. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the inputs Rebound. Good information.

1) No commuter lanes in our area. Fortunately no traffic either!

2) Good to know. I will do an edit on my spreadsheet. A few others have mentioned the increased actual mileage of the PIP when in hybrid mode.

3) Not a big deal for me. Retired with time on my hands.

4) I've seen (here on Priuschat) where people do their own traction battery repairs for $500 or so including equipment required. I think that would be within my mechanical capabilities. I've also seen Toyota will do the new battery install for $2,200.

5) The no spare thing is a big issue with me. I admit it's been decades since I've had a flat tire but I want to provide for my family. If I were to buy a spare and put it in the trunk, even a smaller temporary spare, I would keep it in the car all of the time, further reducing the limited cargo space.

Thanks for your input.

12. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 'V' solve that??

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    If anyone wants a copy of my spreadsheet PM me and I'll email it to you.

John

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My solution to the "no spare" issue was to purchase a tire plug kit, inflator, and a set of pliers. The car does include a lug wrench and jack. And I got a AAA for $12/year deal.
    [​IMG]
    If that's not good enough for you, then the Plug-in Prius is a non-starter, because s spare tire in the hatch area makes simple things like buying groceries a pain in the rear. (Ha ha, rear.) I wouldn't buy one in that case.

#74 Rebound, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We like our new "v" a lot. It certainly addresses the OPs center console concerns, and adds a lot more cargo room for that BMX. It is more expensive than the equivalent liftback, and mileage will be worse so its unlikely to fair well on the operating cost calculation but its certainly worth looking at IMHO! We got ours in the fall of 2014, when 2013 V3's were readily available for about $25k + tax, title and fees.

Rob

16. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles are on your 08 and what do you expect to get for it as a trade-in?

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that Toyota will have another sale similar to the unadvertised memorial day sale ($4k factory cash plus you could get up to ~$3k off of MSRP by shopping around with different dealers). My wife and I probably could have gotten a base PIP for ~$26k OTD after TTL and the state rebate, which would have been ~$23.5k after the federal tax credit.

My wife really wanted the blizzard pearl advanced, so we ponied up the extra $5k for that ($28.5 after the rebate/tax credit), but I think there's a good chance you could get a 2014/2015 plug-in next year for a similar price after the gen IV is out and the green stickers are gone.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Best answer: Keep the car you have.

No spreadsheet required.

markabele likes this.
  18. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    That looks like a smart alternative. I could see myself tackling a patch on the road but I wouldn't want to put my wife in that position. I've mentioned several 1,000 mile trips. One or two of those might be our family on vacation. But one or two of them are my wife driving alone to Southern California which is 1,100 miles round trip.

I do think the PiP, sadly, is off the table for me. While I wait for the Gen IV to come out perhaps Toyota will squeeze out a new PiP that could change things.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the time you took to post it.

19. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Rob, thanks for the inputs. I had considered the V but deleted the data, so I had to chase it down again. I'm glad I have the spreadsheet because, once again, there are so many variables. I could never keep them in my head. The V does come with some interesting features including a console I can live with, and heated seats. The much larger cargo space is attractive.

As you already said the mileage is less but the price of the V model 2 is not bad. Overall the total cost to own, in my particular case, is higher than some other options but it isn't terribly out-of-line.

But... and isn'there always a But. I feel so nit-picky with these answers to people's inputs but I there are just things that are really important to me. If I had to list my top six they would be reliability, cost-of-ownership, cargo space, console, keyless system, and gauge placement.

After I gathered the V data the first big thing that stood out was that I'd have to go up to the model 5 to get 3-door smart key. I can see why Toyota might have made that decision if they thought the market was for business owners. I love the smart key system. I want it on my house, 4Runner, and heck even my motorcycle. In fact I want someone to sell me a smart key that will work on all of my locks. Of course model 5 purchase price is quite high.

If I ignore the smart key issue I have one more issue. Correct me if I'm wrong. I sat in a V and the gauge console is not only in the center but closer to the driver. Is that true. It seems worse than the Gen II gauges which I already don't like. The question I have is am I right about that? Are the gauges in the middle and closer to the front seat than the windshield?

20. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    That works for a while but over the next 9 years I'll certainly be forced to do something. I can keep the car until it begins to fail and I put money into it. I know a guy who has a decades old Mercury that is his daily driver. That just isn't me. I want the reliability, especially for my wife's use of the car.