1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extensive Spreadsheet shows PIP / Volt not for us

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jdonalds, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    That is a very good question about the value of our 2008. I would sell it to a private party rather than trade it in. I think I can get more for it that way, plus it makes the negotiation at the dealer cleaner if I take the trade-in out of the picture.

The 2008 currently has 135K miles on it. It's in pretty good condition with typical paint nicks which might be expected in a 6 year old car with 135K miles.

Edmunds says my car is worth about $9K. I valued it at $8K in my spreadsheet, then $7K next year (with 155K miles), and $6K in three years (at which time I think I'd have to replace the traction battery).

What do you think of my 2008 private party numbers?

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A friend of mine made one of these spreadsheets once. After wasting weeks on it, he concluded that the Hyundai was the best value.

So he bought a BMW. Which goes to show, it's not all about the spreadsheet.

Ashlem, rxlawdude and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good one. It made me laugh out loud.

4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you're correct on both counts. Coming also from a Gen 2, the drivers door only smart key sensor is a bit of a bummer on the v3. Practically its not really that big a deal, but I particularly miss being able to open the hatch without unlocking. There are people who have successfully retrofitted the other two door sensors on the v3, but its a bit of a job.

The spedo is quite a bit more centered on the v. You can get a pretty good idea from this:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure its any closer to the driver than the Gen 2, but it is direct view rather than the "reflected view" on the Gen 2 that gave it a more distant appearance / focus plane.

Rob

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The instrument cluster above would be perfectly positioned, IF you sat on the center console. :ROFLMAO:

jdonalds likes this.
  6. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good Point!

I am also in my 60's, a former engineer and I like spreadsheets as well. I agree the spreadsheet can only take you so far and is lacking in many inputs. The difference between your high and low replacement cases is around $3000 and you seem to keep cars about 6 years so the spread is about $500 per year of use. Many inputs are missing. How long will I live, how long will I be able to drive, how many more new cars will I enjoy. Change your assumed gas prices, resale value or repair costs and the $500 a year starts to look like noise.

Do what makes you happy and what you can reasonably afford!

7. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you considered used?

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is not likely to be true. I assume your calculations come out that way because you are ignoring resale value at the end of 9 years. Keeping the 2008 for 3 more years will cost more in your calculations because the operating cost of the vehicle is higher than all the other options. If you ignore resale value, than the 2008 will lose in every scenario. You don't need a spreadsheet to determine that.

But what happens at the end of 9 years? If you kept the 2008 for 3 more years before replacing, then you would have a 6 year old car at the end of your scenario with many more years of life left in it. If you replaced it right away, you would have a 9 year old car that is ready to go to pasture. This CANNOT be ignored even if you have no intentions of selling the car because it is a value of how much use the car still has in it. Therefore, you need to include at the end of your scenario, the resale value of a 3 year older car, possible battery replacement, and inflation impact. There is an easier way. And you don't have to take my word for it.

Replace the car when it becomes unreliable. Don't keep the 2008 for 9 more years. Keep it until it becomes unreliable. If it's all about lowest costs, I think you can agree that the longer you keep every vehicle you own, the lower the costs will be.

Put it in other words, if you set the duration to 12 years instead of 9 years in your spreadsheet you would come out ahead selling the 2008 in 3 years because you would have to purchase 1 new vehicle instead of 2 in the other scenarios.

#88 mmmodem, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is every reason to think that a Prius can be uber-reliable out to 15 years old if you maintain it well and take care of problems as they arise rather than letting them fester until the car limps to the side of the road.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is also true. The savings accrue for four main reasons:
    1. Less depreciation
    2. Cheaper insurance
    3. Opportunity savings
    4. Technological improvement

markabele and mmmodem like this.
  11. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Definitely try to sell it PP instead of trading it in. The more complicated the transaction is the more the dealer will try to low ball you on the trade in value and/or minimize the amount off of MSRP you're getting. Look for the best PP buyer and dealer price independently and you'll get the most money/best price.

Something else that worked for me was going on truecar/Costco (if you have it) and putting in inquiries for months before you buy. If you do it often enough the sales people will hopefully remember you as someone who is interested in price (They need to make you a fair offer) as opposed to someone who has to buy a car (They have the advantage).

By doing that I made an easy purchase at a local high volume dealership when Toyota Finance had their $4k cash + 0% APR. The dealer quoted me a price over the phone ($7k off of MSRP) that four other highish volume/low price dealerships in norcal/socal I contacted couldn't beat. On the flip side, when my wife and I went in previously and were looking for the same car, the offer they brought to the table was stupid high, so letting them know you don't have to buy and are looking for the best price helps. From what I've gathered, an auto/agent broker can also get you decent deals plus their commission.

$8000 for your current Prius sounds right to me. I payed ~$7600 two years ago for a 2005 five with 137k miles. In retrospect, it was less than other cars because it had an off-the-books fender bender/repair, but the worse thing so far has been the paint fading, so I think it was a good purchase. I wouldn't worry too much about the battery. Mine has ~200k miles and has been driven/parked in Santa Fe Springs/Moreno Valley for the past ~60k miles with no hybrid battery replaced needed. I think capacity has dropped somewhat, but my wife is a lead foot and always left the windows rolled up.

The cooler the car is and the less aggressively you drive, the longer the battery will last. I think the 2006+ batteries are also a little better than the 04/05 batteries, but I could be wrong. If you do decide to sell it, please PM me since I've been thinking about buying another one for family (depending on how much living situation goes).

12. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unreliable? From seeing resale values prior to buying new it seems the prius holds a good value. Batteries aren't that costly from what I have seen and maybe less years from now too.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree mmmodem. Your logic makes sense. Just for grins I'm going to extend out to 12 years and see what happens.

#93 jdonalds, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  14. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    roflwaffle, We did use CostCo when we bought the 2008 Gen II and I'd do it again. I didn't factor it in this time because I figured I could do that with just about any car on my list in the end. I tried getting CostCo prices on a few cars but it was a process so I just decided to go with published prices for comparison.

The CostCo method worked well. We didn't actually intend to buy a car that day. We needed a car because the Honda CRV was totaled (we loved that car). We were just driving by the dealer and decided to see if they had the color and model we were searching for. They did. For some reason I didn't bring up that we would be doing a CostCo deal right away and the sales team sprang into their normal awful action. After 10 minutes of nonsense I mentioned CostCo and they instantly dropped their sales methods and settled down to a fixed price deal which was about $400 less than I had hoped for.

If the Gen IV is everything I hope it is and we decide to buy next year I'll check back to see if you'd want my used Gen II as you asked.

John

15. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and if you are a veteran or active duty USAA has a car buying service too.

16. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Sabby, I agree that the price differential being only about $3,000. Spread over several years that really isn't a lot per year. Consequently three vehicles, all in that tight band of cost, fall into a single category for me. My spreadsheet has two components, one is the whole cost-of-ownership tab, and the other is a list of 35 or so features. So when the price is close, as you point out, the other factors come into play. Granted none of them are how long I'll live (only us old guys think about factoring that in), or how long I'll be able to drive. But I have this long list of things like rear seat legroom, auto dimming rear view mirrors, heated seats, console design, gauge placement, and many more. Vehicle looks or color aren't on the list.

I've used this style of spreadsheet for years. I bought my recent DSLR camera (my biggest hobby is photography) and recent laptop using the same basic design of the spreadsheet.

While I don't fall into the camp of having a spreadsheet that points to buying a Hyundai and then going out and buying a BMW the spreadsheet isn't the final answer.

The percentage of Subaru vehicles up here in Redding was quite surprising when we moved here 3 years ago. So I did take a look at Subaru. The first one didn't have the Keyless. The next Subaru's engine started as soon as I pushed the Start button. I knew I was not likely to select anything but a hybrid. The next edit on my spreadsheet was to bump up the priority of the Keyless Start feature.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    One of the factors rarely on a spreadsheet but is a big consideration is the money message you sent to a company by your selection.

miscrms likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was musing over the use of the term 'fixed income.'
    If McIlroy has a bad year, he is on fixed income too. I gather about $10M a year from Nike.

It might force him to use a spreadsheet in deciding what plane to buy.

19. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sounds like the PiP is out no matter what because of the center console, but I'll point out a couple of things.

1) This has been mentioned, but the PiP gets significantly better mileage than the regular Prius under most non-EV conditions. I find the worst I get is ~50mpg in cold weather, winter tires, freeway speeds of 70-75mph. In a year I think I have one single round trip that got less than that. On other roads with speeds less than ~65mph, 60mpg+ is the norm. That pushes your cost per mile for the PiP on gas to closer to .06/mile as opposed to the .08 you used in your calculations.

2) Regarding the federal tax credit. A way around this is to lease the vehicle and buy it out at the end of the lease. This would get you the benefits of the full $2500 rebate, and if you lease well, this can be as cheap as buying, and if you are smart when you buy it out, it can be cheaper as you have leverage in the negotiations as the dealer would far rather sell the car to you than take it back and have to find another buyer. Three years from now will likely be a sweet spot in PiP depreciation as the market should have moved well beyond 10 mile partial-EV's.

I think both of those factors would combine to drive the overall cost of the PiP quite a bit below that of the regular version.

drash likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    8 cents/mile for the regular prius is high.
    10% less fuel in the PiP in HV mode is already on the optimistic side.