1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Externally charging the 12V battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SterlingPhoenix, Jan 11, 2017.

1. SterlingPhoenix

SterlingPhoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so it turns out my 2013 Prius doesn't always turn the lights off automatically... or something... since my battery is now dead.

Luckily I have an external charger - you connect it to the battery, plug it in and let it run for a few hours.

I'll skip the part about the hatch not opening and me having to do some acrobatics to get to the battery and get to my question.

Normally, when I've used this charger on any other car, it's basically like jumper cables. Red + Wire to Red + Terminal, Black - Wire to a piece of metal. That doesn't work on the Prius - the charger says the clamps aren't on.

I tried this with the positive terminal in the fusebox under the hood, and the same thing.

Now if I clamp the negative wire to the negative terminal, it says it's charging. In fact, the car seems a bit less dead (still won't start, but more lights come on). But it's not charging. It's been at 5.5 volts for the past 3 hours.

Anyone have any ideas/advice on this?

As a side-note - does it turn the lights off automatically? I've always seen the lights turn off after a couple of minutes once I power off, but somehow the battery still got drained last night. It wasn't any colder than other nights, either.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have the negative clamp on bare metal? If it was on painted metal it probably didn't have a very good connection. And under the hood at the fuse block is just fine for charging. No need to dig into the back of the car unless you want to do an inspection while you're at it.

How many amps is the charger putting out? If it's more than just a trickle charger and the battery isn't taking a charge, you may have killed it. In fact, if that's the original, you got your money's worth out of it and now it's almost for sure time for a new one.

As for the lights, I'm curious about that, too. Still experimenting with my PiP I bought just over two weeks ago.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine doesn't turn any lights off automatically. are we talking headlamps or interior? some models may shut off the headlamps, not sure. but none will shut off the dome light if left on or a door not fully closed.
    the prius battery works like any other, positive + red/red, negative - black/black. if you are at the battery, shouldn't be a problem.
    if you're under the hood jump point, there is only metal on one side of the terminal.

you may want to check the negative cable for corrosion and tightness both at the battery and the body.
    you don't want to charge a prius battery at more than 2 or 3 amps i think. should be in the owners manual.
    jerry is right^^^ your battery might be fried.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something's wrong with your charger or technique. It should work at the jumpstart point under the hood: I'm doing that regularly with a CTEK 4.3 now, never any problems.

Does your charger maybe have only one side of the jaw that will complete the circuit? That could be the problem, at the jumstart point. And yeah make sure the ground is substantial bare metal.

5 Volts is really dead btw. Maybe your charger's assessing that somehow, just refusing to charge??

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. SterlingPhoenix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure what the issue was, but I eventually called roadside assistance who had a hard time finding where to attach the jumper cables, but it's all working now...

My charger worked at it for a while but the battery ended up 100% dead. Which is why I called the guys.

All the connectors do look fine, btw...

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great. keep an eye on it now, they don't like being discharged. all the best!(y)

7. SterlingPhoenix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, it's sitting in the garage and just running now... which is annoying...

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The car's just running? (n)

9. SterlingPhoenix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's how you charge the battery, right?.. It's way too late to go to all the places I was supposed to go today...

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would persevere with the charger. I'm not sure an idling car would ever really charge it. Especially a Prius, alternately running and shut down. Maybe others can comment.

11. SterlingPhoenix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That charger wasn't doing anything. I ended up getting a jumpstart.

It's too cold for it to actually turn itself off. I let it idle for 25 minutes or so (and my car was nice enough to tell me that cost $0.50...) but I'll go drive it somewhere in a bit.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not sure a 5.5 volt battery can be resuscitated. You might need a new one.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. SterlingPhoenix

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, it's fine.

Well, it was yesterday *fingers crossed*

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think i have read that 8 hours of idling will charge it, but i doubt that is from 5.5 volts. i hope the garage is detached, or the door is open.

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This. You need a new battery, fully charged.
    And then the charging voltage needs to be checked.

Lights being left ON may or may not have caused the problem.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO it is not "fine".
    At least you have no good way to know that.

It is silly to waste gas trying to charge the 12 V battery......especially when you have a charger RIGHT THERE. The fact that the engine never shuts off is an indication that everything is not "fine".

If you don't get that battery tested and thoroughly charged externally (and probably replaced), it will bite you in the butt again......VERY soon.
    Guaranteed.

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Be aware most "chargers" and jump cables only apply power to half the clamp. You need to match that half to the half of the jump point in the fusebox that you are connecting to (only half of it is metal). Usually the clamp half that the cable it attached to is the powered one. The jump terminal half is the copper coloured one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have charged my 12v recently and took some pics, which might be helpful;).

What I use:

IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0181.JPG
    Battery Minder Model 1510

How I use it:

IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0178.JPG

I use one of the bolts on top of the shock tower for the ground and ensure the side of the alligator clip with the wire is connected to the positive jump point in the under hood fuse box.

We have a 2010 Prius II bought in August 2009 and still on the original 12v battery.

As others have said, that might have been the cause of the charger not working.

10.5 v seems low to recover, but depending on your charger, you might be able to resurrect it:).

I would contingency plan for replacement though;).

bisco likes this.
  19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    EXCEPT......that the entire clamp is metal, including the hinge and spring and it would be REALLY hard to NOT have power on both halves.
    REALLY HARD.
    :rolleyes:

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Most do not. Not hard at all.
    Mainly because the only metal parts are the "jaws" and the spring and hinge pin. Oh, and the cable conductor.