1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra charging cable

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Diddlywop, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Johnny_D

Johnny_D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Suitcase combo lock through the hole that is already there in the silver part of the blue handle. No its not foolproof but it may deter someone. If you get one make sure it has a 1/8" shank or smaller. I had to use an 1/8" drill bit to enlarge the hole probably 1/16 th. this solution seemed obvious to me. I use it every time
    On Amazon, $5 free shipping with Prime
    Amazon.com: Master Lock 647D Set-Your-Own Combination Luggage Lock, 1-3/16-Inch: Home Improvement

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Securing the charging cable | PriusChat

Photos of locking to the tire in the link above.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  3. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just made a new extension cable. I had a 20-foot 15A cable ($1/foot) cut at Home Despot, which is the same gauge as the charging cable. There I bought a good set of 15A plug and connector by Pess & Seymour (red box, $7.99 each) which light up when connected. I take it with me wherever I go, but admittedly it does take up room in the "spare tire box".

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done wig!

5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all of everyone's stuff is made in china.:rolleyes:

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Same here, that's the exact same one bought from the same place. Got my normal 20% off and a free flashlight as well. (y)

8. Home Depot sells a 3 digit combo that fits without drilling

9. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked the prices of the pre-made ones extension cords. I just preferred making my own.

10. This thread started out as extra charging cable, which got my attention, then evolved into a extension cable. An extension cable is simple but where do get the portion that plugs into the car and on the other end the block, which is the leak detector and reset, etc. Your home electric stove doesn't have all this safety and it draws a lot more amps. An extra cable would be nice. An extension cable is easy.

11. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Andyprius, you can build one with the OpenEVSE project for about $500-$600, or you can buy one for $800-$900 (or more for the Toyota factory cable), but they are very pricey until the volume of EVs being produced/sold picks up a lot... Even the least expensive J-1772 male head on eBay is $135, and thats without the attached wiring.

eBay J-1772 head, you could buy 10/3 (good for 30A max) or 12/3 (good for 20A max) SJO/SWO (jacketed) cable to connect to this (2 hots + groun for 240V or its 1 hot, neutral and ground for 120V), and use a separate 18-22AWG insulated wire taped to it for the "pilot" signal wire, that would be the least expensive way to get the J-1772 connector/cable part of the project:
    Electric Vehicle Plug J1772 Compliant | eBay

OpenEVSE project, example of the one I built (which btw might be for sale, I need to build a 75A version)
    EVSE_by_mwolrich - open-evse - A portable EVSE built with an Open EVSE board. - Open Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) - Google Project Hosting

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  12. ralteredstates

ralteredstates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the Volt's EVSE and it does NOT work with the Prius plug in. Electronic timing is off. It is also poorly made. I am very disappointed since it only cost $360. Ended up getting a level 2 from Home Depot. Won't be portable but I will use the level 2 at work and take the well built Panasonic (toyota's) with me if I travel.

13. Thanks Mitch, good info there. Really professional job too.

14. Just park on the cable.

wiggleman and ultraturtle like this.
  15. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not a bad idea!

16. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The idea of adding a luggage lock and securing it thru the little hole in the charging cable is not so bad, but you have to remember that it's still plastic, which can easily be broken. A little leverage will break the plastic. I want to buy a steel cable and thread it thru that hole or around the whole cable below the plug. Then secure that cable to a lock.

17. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am no expert by any means, but I don't think it's a good Idea to park on the cable, over time I would think it could damage the cable. Check out http://john1701a. His web site has a good locking option!

18. I didn't mean mashing the cable, just a little weight on the edge. How ever, for the long term it isn't a "best answer" I agree.

19. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm curious.
    Why would you need a 2nd one?
    If you keep yours in the car, in the back, where it belongs and the car is needed to be charged, pull it out.
    Why an extra?

20. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because you want to leave one at home always hooked up to power? And not have to pull it out constantly?