1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra gauges for practically nothing!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ianmeister, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Ianmeister

Ianmeister Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    BBDF1D42-6AE9-4D22-BBF4-2665FF9BB361.jpeg hey kids! Just had to share. I found a video showing how to use an old Droid phone as a gauge cluster. For the cost of the torque app ($4.95), a wire and a new ODB II Bluetooth adaptor (I needed a new one anyway) I no longer want a $200 scanguage! I’ve set up the phone to activate the screen with the car’s ON button, open torque to my custom PID torque gauges automatically, then go to sleep when the car is turned off. What info I’m displaying is a work in progress but I’m just chuffed as could be I’ve got the on/off cycle working. Another page shows the charge status of each of 14 battery pairs real time. Here’s a pic at night. The phone is sitting in the cavity under the radio for now, mounting it is also a work in progress.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Be careful with this.

2 specific areas of concern:

1. Not all bluetooth OBD adapters are smart enough to turn themselves off when you shut down the Prius. Some are better than others. The bad ones drain your 12v battery. (note: this problem may already be historical; manufacturers have improved a lot)
    2. The lithium-ion battery in a cell phone isn’t going to enjoy cabin temperatures in warmer climates. I had an old phone stored in another car to be a music source, parked for a few days at the airport during summer heat. When I got back from my trip, I found the phone had burst wide open, with the battery sac completely inflated.

Good work with the on/off setup, that’s a nice convenience.

3. Ianmeister

Ianmeister Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hmm. Now that you mention it, the adapter has a power button. I’ll check on that in the morning.

4. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Changing your phone battery to capacitors
    Would be extend it's outdoor lifetime.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.