1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra key fob type?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hadit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hadit

Hadit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a used 2006 Prius gen 2 which never had a spare key, and now I want one. ( I thought I had lost the one I have, and it scared me!) I saw the instructions for the chicken dance which should save $, but the cheaper remanufactured fobs all seem to be for the non-smart key entry system. As I understand it, all the smart key does is allow you to drive with the fob in your pocket. My question is whether I need to bother with the smart key just for a spare, as long as it operates everything else?
    Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you just need a key to start the car, you can buy any used key and program it yourself. You don't even need a new one.

If you want the smart key functions, then you'll need to get a new key to do the "chicken dance" programming. If you get a used key and want the smart key functions, you would need to program it a special way (reseeding the car keys)

Hadit likes this.
  3. Hadit

Hadit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Great, thanks!