1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra key for 2012 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rtotheichard, Mar 8, 2015.

1. rtotheichard

rtotheichard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, everyone! Short-time reader, first-time poster (and Prius owner).

My wife and I recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Prius Two (Not II as uppercase roman numerals were used for the 2010 model year Prius), but it came with only one key.

I've been Googling about and reading threads on this site, but I admit I've become confused as to what the best course of action is in getting another key. I've read some people say newly made replacement keys will unlock doors but not start the car, some threads are a couple of years old, and so on. Hence my confusion.

So, please forgive my ignorance, but what is the best course to get a new key that will do everything I need it to do (unlock/lock the car, allow me to start the car)?

Thanks so much for everything!

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you define "best" as guaranteed to be fully functional, I'd have to say the dealer is the only way to go. Of course, it will be the most expensive, too. And, you realize there is a mechanical key incorporated in the fob that is to unlock the doors in an emergency, such as dead battery in fob. Then the fob, even with a dead battery, can still start the engine by holding it near the Start button after pressing the brake pedal to start the security sequence.

rtotheichard likes this.
  3. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the response.

I'm aware of the physical key, I'm just wanting a second (and even third) key "in case."

So far I'm contemplating the following course:
    - Call local locksmiths to get quotes on cutting and programming
    - Buy a blank key and new fob on eBay
    - Success

Problem is I've read about others having issues with buying keys and fobs on eBay, only to find they don't work because of this or that.

Can anyone recommend reputable eBayers selling healthy keys and fobs?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best, this is the most complicated part of a prius, and why sellers who lose a key, sell the car instead of buying a second key.:p

rtotheichard likes this.
  5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Buy the mini-Vci cable and tech stream software for $39 on eBay, buy a new fob on Amazon, then go to town.

rtotheichard likes this.
  6. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Heh, thanks, bisco!

Thanks for the suggestion, PriusGuy. So, you're talking about one of these cables/software combos:

I couldn't find a fob on Amazon but, of course, eBay is littered with fobs. Should I avoid used fobs? But based on what I've read, I shouldn't take a chance on used fobs because of software/car compatibility/reprogramming issues, but I've also ready conflicting things about that, too.

Thanks for any clarification!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, there is no clarification. of the hundreds of fob threads here, some have complete success, some have partial success, and most have no success. it is unclear why. you really have to decide whether you want to bite the bullet and shop dealers for the best price, or learn as much as possible about fobs and programming, and try the various and sundry methods described here, which in the end may or may not save you money, but not time.

rtotheichard likes this.
  8. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As much as I'd like to tinker, I went ahead and ordered a key/fob through keylessride for $156 delivered, and a local smith will cut and program for $45. Total comes to $201, compared to the $430 plus tax the local dealership is asking.

I'll tinker in the future. It'll be a learning experience, if nothing else.

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do post how it works out.

BTW, that's a great avatar!

rtotheichard likes this.
  10. amati5

amati5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was the best route, cheapest and safest, and the one I went with, too, after 3 weeks of research. KeylessRide offers refund if you keep the fob inside the wrap. You don't need to take it out to program, but only after to have the key out to be cut. But to avoid the hassle of return, make sure the FCC # in the back matches with yours. If you have the A/C button on yours and the FCC # has AAB (instead of ACX as common) at the end, tell them you need one with the A/C button, not the "Trunk" since it comes with both choices. The "Trunk" is for the Highlanders.

Local dealers is out of the question and online dealers offer about the same price (fob and key) but no return. Buying the cable/software costs (you still have to have the key cut) more and no guarantee but it's good for the future need. Now that I know it can be done easily, I'll buy the cable next time.

rtotheichard likes this.
  11. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The local smith I spoke to before ordering the key/fob told me about the FCC numbers, and mine is ACX, so I knew which one to order.

It's interesting how involved something as simple as keys can get. FCC numbers, programming this and that, and so on. But, hey, progress!

12. Dalamar

Dalamar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been buying remotes from this ebay seller, hllokttyktty , for a while, great with support and whatnots, i think she ships from Chicago, but i'm not 100% sure, but I know the 12 or so I've ordered for different cars have all been great and if she doesn't have it listed just ask and she usually has it or can get it...... last 2 were for my rx8 :)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where does she get them, china?

14. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I shall!

And thanks for the compliment on the avatar. Are you familiar with the whole Jack White/University of Oklahoma fiasco?

Awesome! I'll check her store out. Cheers.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah, now I see. Thought it was you at a surly moment. And the hat is kinda surreal??

16. Dalamar

Dalamar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually I pop open the ones I get, they are either used or used guts in new plastic

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. i wonder how one goes about collecting used key fobs for sale.

18. Dalamar

Dalamar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i frequent my local honda store often, I'm a copier tech and work on their equipment, in one of the back rooms they have a 5 gallon bucket of keys and fobs from trade ins that got found after the cars were gone, i asked about them once what they do with them and they said that someone gives them $10 - $20 per fob every time the bucket gets full...

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! so all the people here who get a used car with one key, the other one is in a bucket somewhere.

20. rtotheichard

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two