1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra Key

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by TheBrenda, Mar 5, 2020.

1. TheBrenda

TheBrenda New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    2019 Prius LE. I have searched this forum and read 40 or so posts. But most of the threads are 15 to 10 years old and I don't know what still applies to a 2019. My FOB is FCC ID: HYQ14FBC, Model:14FBC.

Where can i get an extra fob and emergency key for a decent price (with a good return policy)? I don't care about any special functions. Just want to open the door (with key or fob) and start the car.

Saw the thread "How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality". Does this still apply?

2. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ask your dealer? The cost may be quite competitive, guaranteed to work, etc. etc.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The dealer is your best option for a replacement fob and new metal key

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you could check with your lock-smith. Some can - some can't.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't mind a drive over to Tampa, Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc. might be able to sell you one. Sometimes he has them, but not always, so call first. Probably a better price than the dealer.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Authorized Toyota dealer or authorized locksmith are the only place that can program a new fob. If you just want a spare key to open a door, any hardware store can cut a new physical key, but it won't do any good to start the car. You can get cheaper virginized fobs online. Those are used fob that has be wiped out of previous user's data and usually come with uncut physical key. Expect to pay ~$100 for the used fob and at least additional $150 for programing it at a dealer or lock smith. However, many dealers and lock smith will not agree to use virginized used fob. So, check ahead. New fob cost ~$250. In older generations of Prius, I have read that using illegal copy of Techstream, one can program a new key fob DIY. But it seems key programing is only allowed for dealer and trusted lock smith version of legit Techstream. I am not sure if pirated copy of Techstream can perform the key fob programing on newer Gen4 Prius DIY.

dig4dirt likes this.
  7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    There's a small metal plate that comes with the keyset that you got when you bought your Prius. It has a number stamped into it. I believe this is the number they need to get you a direct replacement without programming.

dig4dirt likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FY and OP's information, that key code plate is only for the physical key cutting in case original keys are lost and can't make physical copy to cut a new one. It has nothing to do with programing fob.

kithmo, fuzzy1 and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes. You can still DIY this with TechStream and Mini VCI

#9 famoustale, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know that still apply to Gen4? I have not had much luck getting cheap Amazon/eBay purchased TechStream up and running, so I don't know for sure. But I have not yet come across someone successfully programing Gen4 or PRIME fobs DIY.

11. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've not done this personally for a gen4 (only for my gen3 - worked fine) but here's confirmation that it works the same: Gen4 Smartkeys - self program? | PriusChat

and here's an example of a virginized key that should work for OP: OEM Smart Key Remote FITS Toyota 16 17 18 19 20 Prius 2 3 4 HYQ14FBC 89904-47530 | eBay

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the ref. I bought virginized fob for my PRIME online some time ago. But my problem is that I could not get Techstream to run properly on my old Windows XP laptop. Tried thee different versions (all pirated copies from ebay, Amazon, Chinese site), but no luck. A local lock smith I called would not work with refab key fob. Dealer wanted $150 to do just programing, but no guarantee it will work with refab key fob. (Wanted $400 total if OEM new key fob is ordered from them.)

13. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm. Here's what I did (and my notes) to get this working on Windows 10 (64-bit):

1) Look for autokent's release on rutracker or MHH. (TOYOTA Techstream V14.20.019 (07/2019) + Activation - MHH AUTO - Page 1)
    2) To install driver:
    • download and run as Admin: Driver MVCI for x64 OS (MVCI Driver for x32/64 OS Multi Version - MHH AUTO - Page 1 or rutracker)
    • pick/install the Driver for 1.4.8; connect cable to USB to complete driver installation
    3) Get a new license key if necessary (above MHH activation thread)
    4) install Java runtime
    5) Install TechStream and set up (North America, use 1s for name/dealer/etc)
    6) Activate
    7) Run TechStream and select autokent's VIM in Settings

#13 famoustale, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    pjksr02 likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have visited his site before, but that's not where I got my copy of techstream. Not even sure what version mine were, but all of them came with miniVICI I purchased, and had it's own activation code. Where did you get the copy of Techstream?

15. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That same MHH thread. If you look closely, at the bottom of the first post there's an attachment and when you click download, it provides a link to their own release. Then once you install it, you post your TechStream installation ID in that same thread and they'll reply with an activation key.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I may have to give a try but with a great caution. Just can't trust a free download nowadays. Not that paid version is much better though.

Thanks.

17. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For sure. I place more trust in them than other sources (because of the community aspect), but I still wouldn't install it on a device that's crucial to me.

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PO of my Prime decided to only surrender one fob when he sold it. Todd at www.tampahybrids.com bought me a new replacement and programmed it. Can't tell them apart. So it doesn't HAVE to be a Toyota dealer.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, anyone with an appropriate level of authorization on Techstream seems to be able to program it. Security Professional level subscription from TIS is required. Apparently, some pirated copies of Techstream are capable of performing this as well.
    https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_what_is_tis_page
    Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 5.43.03 PM.png

Jonathan L and jerrymildred like this.
  20. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As I discussed in another thread, only the Smart Code Reset procedure—used when all the keys have been lost, or (though not designed for this) to add one key that has been used with another vehicle—is restricted to dealers and others with a Security Professional subscription, at least in principle.
    The pirates seem to have many lines of business. The Techstream software is one, and the service of computing the pass-code numbers needed for the Smart Code Reset procedure is another.

To add a new or so-called “re-virginized” key, however, you don’t need the reset procedure or a pass-code number, just a working Toyota Techstream diagnostic system and the ability to follow the Repair Manual (more info) instructions carefully.

One reason to pay a dealer for this service, however, is the small chance that something might go wrong. In the worst case, it might be necessary to replace the ID code box, which (by design, to deter theft) is accessible only after disassembling the instrument panel and removing the air conditioner.

Salamander_King and alanclarkeau like this.