1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra " plug in" battery power ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by HSDish, Feb 13, 2020.

1. HSDish

HSDish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Active
    Hi.

I'm from Sweden and I'm new here.

Got an Prius + (V) 2017 that we realy like but we should like to convert it to PHEV/Plug In

Gratefu for any solution?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This was a big thing a few years ago and the first link below provides an overview. Most of the options are no longer available since each had problems, most notably reliability or diy custom. Cost efficiency is another concern. The big change happened when Toyota started building their own plug-in Prius. But it was never added to the slightly larger, higher seating position Prius v wagon.

Now the Prius v is gone in the US as of 2017. The answer to that form factor for Americans is a Rav4 Hydrid available now or a Rav4 Plugin available soon which have the room of a v. The Rav4 Plugin will have increased power (about 300hp) in an "electric" awd configuration. That plugin is scheduled for later this year. The car will be very popular (since the current Rav4 and Rav4 hybrids are the number one non-truck in the US now) and the plugin version will be economical and fast.

There is still a company called "enginer.us" that sells add on products for our Prius versions, but the cost and reliability still may be a compromise. In addition, a new Hydrid Venza is scheduled in a year or two. With the basic looks of a v in a slightly larger and higher form factor it will be a winner as well.

Simple Add on Battery?? | PriusChat
    and
    Enginer | Prius Plugin PHEV Conversion Kit with Lithium-Ion | Hybrid

#2 rjparker, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    HSDish likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

there isn't a turnkey, but you would have to connect 240v through the inverter converter and add more batteries, plus reprogram the computers

HSDish likes this.
  4. HSDish

HSDish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks to both "rjparker" and "bisco" for tips and commitment.

I've emailed "eniger.us" some week ago but no answer.

I'm living in Sweden / Europe and I dont think we're gonna get new Hydrid Venza here.

Seems like I have to enjoy our Prius + (V) as it is.
    Realy like the car even if I wish for even lower consumption

bisco likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are the PIP or Prime models not available in your area ?
    A trade is really the only practical solution.

HSDish likes this.
  6. HSDish

HSDish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Active
    Thank "sam spade 2" for advise .

Yes both PIP ( Prius Plug In gen1 2012-15 I think) and Prime ( Prius Plug In 2016-2019 I think) are available here and Rav 4 PHEV is on it's way.

In fact I got an Prius Plug In gen1 2015 wish I realy like to , as my Prius + (V) but I wish that even our PIP had lower fuel consumption/ longer range on EV. (asked about that in another thread)

But... as You say... think the only solution is to trade (even though we like our cars) my cars.

We use our PIP for one (driver) and Two persons and mostley shorter trips and our Prius + (v) for family ( my daughter has a wheelchair) and longer trips

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.