1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extreme Cold Weather Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is blocked 100% now.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Snow?

Bob Wilson

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what about it?

4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Snow. You know the white poly stuff you put around the tree. Snow.

or was it "Did you mean the grill was 100% blocked by snow"

5. marcinpisz

marcinpisz New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Living in a fairly northern climate, where we actually experienced -46°C in the last few days outside the city at the international airport.I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed with the results. My 1994 Honda Civic is by no means new with 440,000 km on it and a small 1.5 L engine. It's got a huge windshield and it is able to keep the frosted as well as blow warm air into the passenger compartment. It's not able to defrosted side windows completely, but it's definitely enough to drive. Consumption in this weather increased from 6 L per hundred kilometers to 9 L per hundred kilometers. Increased consumption in such extreme weather is actually normal. I was really hoping that the heat exchanger in the exhaust pipe of the Prius would make a lot of difference. From what I'm reading, it seems to be not much more effective than without it and I am getting hints that it may in fact be less effective than the thermos that is in the second-generation.

I'm curious that you said that the engine never really warmed up. More disturbing is the fact that your windows fogged up and you were not getting a lot of heat in the car. I think the increased fuel consumption is actually very reasonable as it has to burn the fuel in order to propel the car and heat the car.

Would you say there was enough heat on the highway to keep at least the front windshield defrosted and the side window to defrosted enough to be able to drive?
    Would you say you were still fairly comfortable in the car even though it was not blowing really hot air it should have still been blowing warm air?

If think the heated windshield seems like a good idea, but you have to realize that the heated windshield for the Lincoln navigator cost $9000 to replace in Canadian dollars.

It's interesting that this car is able to go electric mode in such extreme temperatures, I am actually very curious why there is a lot more heat generated when using the defroster. From what I understand, the outside areas actually cooled by the air-conditioning system when the defroster button is pressed in order to dehumidifier the air which is then heated again but is now a lot drier. I wonder if anybody has an explanation for this?

Arctic_White likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Living in North Alabama, I don't have a lot of experience with snow. I am under the impression it has structural properties:
    [​IMG]

Once warm weather returns, like my last snowman, the storage problem is solved.

Bob Wilson

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh trust me, if you wanted heat, you can get heat from the Prius. As you can see, I didn't bother as I had full gear on so I was comfortable and that's why you see my temperature is set at 21°C. At the 23°C that I have posted in the first post and in normal mode, I had plenty of heat. Remember that this goes all the way to 28°C before it changes to MAX so I'm sure if you wanted heat, you will get it. As I said, the defroster provided a lot more heat to make sure the windows stay clear so I am aware of what the heater's capable of.

The windshield was clear except for the top left hand corner (because I had it at recirc for a while before I realised it was foggy up the window) so by no means was my visibility restricted. Don't worry about it. It can keep the windows clear without issues. I will say the heat exchange works. The car shuts down with the heater off even after 10 mins of driving in -35°C (starting from a heated garage at around 19°C). I'm fairly certain the Gen II can't do that.

I don't think the engine in any car can warm up in that kind of weather. Just because you're getting heat into the cabin doesn't mean the engine is warmed up. If you want hard numbers, I think David Beale posted some in another thread as he has a scangauge. He mentioned that on his Gen 2, the coolant barely made it to 60°C. (it did on a few occasions).

So yes I would say there's plenty of heat on the highway to keep the windshield and side windows defrosted. Again, if I didn't put it in recirc, the windows would've never fogged up in the first place

I was comfortable because I was dressed appropriately and thus didn't need as much heat. If I were to drive with my jacket off (say for example I found it too bulky and interfered with my ability to operate the vehicle), then yeah i'd probably bump the climate control up to 25°C or higher. Again, it's not blowing warm air because I was in ECO mode and the temp was set a 21°C. You must remember that I am experimenting with different modes and different temps so I can report back to you guys. Don't get hung up on one thing I said.

Hmmm..... but the navigator probably has a rain-sensor there too which can add to the cost. Lastly, if it was laminated (for sound proofing like the acoustic glass on some Toyota/Lexus models), it'll also add to the cost.

Arctic_White likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends. I was looking at some of the compacted snow on the private road in my apt complex. It has broken into shards like glass and when I picked it up, it was solid and didn't fall apart. Lastly, when I smashed it into the ground, it sounded like glass too. Very cool!

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There appears to be a misconception regarding the heater/cooling. Putting them to "max heat" or "max cool" won't make -any- difference until the cabin temp gets within about 10 deg of what you want. In other words the A/C system uses maximum heating to get the temp up to 22C in Pearl until the actual temp gets close. Then it "throttles back". Ditto for cooling. So setting the control to "max" is really unnecessary.

But if it makes you feel warmer, be my guest. ;)

As far as the "defrost" setting, the reason it appears to cause faster heating is:
    1. Dry air will feel warmer at the same temp as humid air (when it's cold).
    2. The fan is run at max. which -should- extract more heat from the heater core.

Note that because it gets "windy" in the car, it can actually feel colder at first. Also, the A/C system will exhibit less control over the temp, so it will get hotter than what you set.

Arctic_White and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No automotive A/C will run in temps much colder than +3 C. The compressor oil will thicken and settle out, which will destroy the compressor

Whether my '04 Prius or my '07 FJ, the A/C is locked out in cold temps. One thing I don't like about my FJ is that when you set it for Defrost, the A/C mode is automatically selected.

Driving out of the heated garage, my compressor runs until it senses the bitter cold temps, then it locks out the compressor. You cannot defeat the A/C on Defrost mode.

I solve this problem by yanking out the A/C compressor relay

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You must have had a "better" 10W-30. Most 10W-30 conventional oils have a rated pour point of -30 C.

I used to store motor oil in an uninsulated, unheated shed at my hobby farm. At -40 or colder, I grab the bottle of 10W-30 and try to squeeze it: hard as a rock.

Unscrew the lid, upend .... nothing. A 15W-40 is even worse

Note that some motor oils use "pour point depressants" to give an edge in cold weather. The PPD has nucleation sites in the molecule very similar to the wax crystals that start to gel in a conventional motor oil.

These PPD nucleation sites interfere with widespread gel/matrix formation by "robbing" the wax crystals. However, the PPD's are easily used up due to normal byproducts of combustion

Eg: a virgin 15W-40 that may be "good" to -25 C (Although most HD engine makers have a cutoff of -15 C for that viscosity) will, once loaded up with soot and other combustion byproducts, turn solid at -10 C

In the end, you must use the appropriate viscosity for the expected ambient temperature. You will ALWAYS do less harm by running too "thin" a motor oil, than too thick a motor oil

A viscosity too "thin" may result in increased long term wear, but even that is debatable. Consider all those Ford V-8's and V-10's in heavy duty applications, lasting at least 160,000 miles

A viscosity that is too thick can cause immediate and catastrophic engine damage. Eg, shear the oil pump drive, not notice, and walk inside to stay warm. The motor seizes up. Or, the front main seal blows out, and the oil sprays out - same result.

Arctic_White and Spartane like this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good explanation!