1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extreme Heat

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tucson tied a heat record yesterday, and Phoenix came close, both at or above 115. I've parked my Prius(s) for the duration, at least til the heat subside below 100.

This is my first summer with a classic Prius, do I need to be concerned with the HV battery frying it's poor little heart out in the heat?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the battery is 14 years old, I think you should have a plan in the back of your mind regarding how you will address traction battery replacement - regardless of whether the failure is due to hot weather, thousands of charge/discharge cycles logged over the 14 years, electrolyte leaking, etc. I would say that lack of use is more likely to kill the Classic battery vs. hot weather, though.

3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the previous owner, it got a new battery pack in '13.

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some have guessed that high heat wears the battery faster. But even for a 1st Gen battery, I don't think one hot summer is going to kill a 4-year-old battery (assuming the previous owner was honest).

5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She is honest.

My windshield cracked the day after I originally posted. From the heat and some windex. I'm assuming there was a rock peck involved, too. Oh well, it's only money.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe your auto insurance will cover vehicle glass? For example I have AAA insurance and there is $0 deductible on glass. I've had occasion to take advantage of that for two windshields on the 2004, and the right side rear glass on the XK.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At least some states mandate 0 deductible on windshields. Florida is one.

On the battery, sitting in the hot sun would, I think, be worse for it than driving it with the air conditioner keeping it cool. Assuming the A/C can keep up with those temperatures.

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No a/c will keep up with it, I think. We do the best we can, but it's just hot. I measured the pavement in front of my house Friday. With a non contact thermometer. It was 145 at 3:30. Probably the windshield was at least that. I don't have comprehensive, so it's up to me to pay for the window. Which I will do when the daily temps fall into the 90's.

I've been driving my old Dodge Dakota, which has a heavy duty & robust engine cooling system. And a somewhat better a/c system. I'm driving both Pri's early in the morning to keep the HV batteries happy. We don't have much cold weather here, we pay for the nice winters with our summer weather. So no big complaints, just live with it.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not quite as hot here as AZ, but with the humidity, it sure is miserable. I went through three or four shirts yesterday.

A couple things seem to have helped lower our car's inside temperature since there is no place in the shade to park. I got one of the custom fit windshield shades from here on the PC store. And I got some window vent covers so I can keep the windows open a little without worrying about rain. I think the inside temperature is about 10° less now, but it's still screaming hot. I may get one of the screens for the back, too. They aren't a fix, but they are an improvement.