1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extremely low MPG, could the battery be going out?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Jared910, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jared910

Jared910 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I recently purchased a used 2010 Prius with 75,000 miles on it. Everything seems great and it looks great and I've loved the car so far. However, I recently noticed that the mileage I've been getting is extremely low and I'm concerned that I was sold a vehicle with a dying hybrid battery; the battery is still under warranty here in California but it would be a real pain to take it in and cost me money so I wanted to check here first.

I mainly only drive the car to work and back; and its a shorter trip; about 3 miles on the highway and then 3 miles on city streets. I've been driving very conservatively and yet I still am averaging 34 MPG over time. There's been a few times I've reset the the trip and I'll go one way and see 55 MPG, but then when I drive it home the hybrid battery is lower and it lowers the MPG all the way down to 34 average. I've read on here that shorter trips get lower mileage, but 34 MPG seems extremely low to me.

Does this sound like the hybrid battery isn't charging well or some other error? I mean theres no way 34 MPG could be normal, and I know it isn't my driving as I've been specifically driving conservatively to try to maximize the MPG. However I don't want to take my car to the Toyota dealership only to have to pay for a rental for a few days just for them to tell me this is normal. Hopefully someone here can help out. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure how long you've owned the car or if your mpg's has suddenly lowered from a higher number or if this is what you've been getting all along. If your in northern Ca. and the temps. have suddenly gotten a lot colder that is one reason. Do the usual checks. Clean air filter, oil fresh at the proper level and the proper weight, tires up to proper pressure (42psi front, 40 rear is what I use). These places are a good starting point. Also if tires are non low rolling resistance that will knock your mpg's a little as well as front end being out of alignment.

3. Jared910

Jared910 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just recently purchased the car so this MPG is what I've been getting all along. And I understand that there's always things you can check like air filters and oil changes but I find it hard to believe that the air filter would knock the car down 20 MPG's lower than normal. Either way, I just checked and the air filter is brand new and has a recent oil change.

#3 Jared910, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On gasoline engines, the air filter is generally irrelevant to MPG unless it is so clogged that the engine is choking.

Clean air filters are nice for other reasons, but are not an MPG fix.

CR94 and Tande like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grit, Jared910 and paprius4030 like this.
  6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No the air filter alone won't do it but it could be a combination of a lot of other things like low tire pressure, heavier oil, front end out of alignment. If the basics are all ok then you can worry about more expensive things. A low or dying 12v. battery can trick the gas engine into running more than it should. A bad hybrid battery is the most expensive problem. Keep an eye on the hybrid battery indicator. It's normal for it to go up and down more so if your in hilly terrain or stop and go traffic but it should go up and down smoothly. Erratic or very quick up and down movements is a cause for concern.

bisco likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Daily commute = 3 miles of highway and 3 miles of city streets. How long does it take for those 6 miles? The first 5 minutes of my 23 mile commute are typically 23-28mpg as the car warms up and does it's thing. The second 5 minutes are ~ 55-75 mpg as I go through a handful of miles in 40-45 zones. After that, mileage sits around 43-48 depending on highway speeds.

Do Gen 3's do something similar?

If you only have a short commute, you may not see much of the improvement that comes after the first five minutes.

jerrymildred, Tande and Grit like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're seeing abnormally dropping battery state, there's a pretty cut-and-dry hybrid battery check the dealership can do, for about $100 I think. It's often referred to as:

Hybrid Health Check

Google that expression for more info. Currently Toyota's offering this through dealerships in Britain and Ireland. And I believe it's readilly available tool in their diagnostic software (TechStream) world 'round?

Still, firstly: I would check the "low-hanging fruit" issues.

fuzzy1 and Jared910 like this.
  9. Jared910

Jared910 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The total commute to work is about 10 minutes; about 5 minutes on downtown city streets then 5 minutes on the highway. Like I said, I've realized that shorter commutes get lower MPG because of the car warming up; but seeing the average cons. being 34 after driving it around for 4 days seemed like quite a shock. I mean if this isn't something you all see as being poor enough to warrant bringing in to the dealer I'll heed your advice. I just found it hard to believe that this was a normal MPG for the car I was expecting to be averaging 50 MPG.

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Where in the great state of California are you located? The commute you have is very short and the warmup cycle may just complete prior to you reaching your destination.

Are you the DIY type?

If the car has had short trips in the past you might have some carbonized build up starting in the egr circuit affecting performance.

Check out the Gen3 maintenance section for a pinned thread by @NutzAboutBolts and you’ll see several videos :). The one I would focus on is the egr pipe cleaning as that will give you an indication of what else might be lurking.

Keep us posted (y).

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  11. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You should take a long drive like 50 miles to see if your fuel economy improves. By doing this allows the car to warm up properly.

12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your trips with 55 mpg one way and 34 mpg on the return trip seem typical. That averages to 44.5 mpg, which is very close to the fuelly average for the '10 model (45.3 mpg).

As Bay Stater wrote, take your Prius on a long highway trip (preferably when there is no traffic )and make sure to set at 70 mph or less. The cruise control helps to neutralize driving habits. Don't try this during rush hour. Look to drive 60+ miles and make sure you measure round trip. Your mpg should be in the 50's.

Jared910 likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make that 42.0 mpg round trip.

(Do remember that for round trips, one cannot do simple arithmetic averages for MPG, because the denominators (gallons) don't match. Simple averaging does work for metric style liters/100-km, or the English equivalent in gallons/100 miles.)

Jared910 likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are the tyres pressure?

i think the hybrid battery is fine.

Jared910 and paprius4030 like this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's your commute distance and time. When the engine first starts, it's cold and inefficient. Also, the battery is helping it out in a big way. Once it warms up after about 5 minutes or so, it has to repay the loan; in other words, put that electricity back into the battery. By the time the engine has finished recharging the battery and you're finally ready to take full advantage of the hybrid system, you're at work. Ten minutes is where it just starts to get really good. I don't know if the regular gen 3 shows one minute gas economy bars on the touch screen like the PiP, but it's very telling on mine. Looks like a side view of a steep stairway.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The regular Gen3 does have this display screen, though most of us spend most of our driving time with the HSI screen up instead.

OP should certainly try this display a few times.

jerrymildred and Jared910 like this.
  17. Jared910

Jared910 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

bisco, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not the HSI. This screen.
    IMG_6934.jpg

Jared910 likes this.
  19. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It may not be relevant to the OP, but weight plays a large factor. I had my lowest mpg on my last tank, which was 46.8. The difference was that I took a road trip with 500 lbs in luggage and passengers. Driving alone, I would have averaged 53 mpg on the same tank.

jerrymildred and Jared910 like this.
  20. Jared910

Jared910 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m going to be driving on 3 different ~20 mile trips today for the first time since getting the Prius. I will update later to see if it really is just the short distance trips that’s killing the mpg.

RMB, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.