1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extremely retarded valve train opening

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by carpedal, Feb 27, 2012.

1. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At 8053 miles my 2011 Prius threw an error code indicating an extremely retarded valve train opening. The automobile was produced in December 2010. The problem, fixed under warranty, was a camshaft oil control valve. The dealer just happened to have one in stock. I found that curious. Why would the dealer stock a normally robust component that never goes bad? Did Toyota experience a bad batch of parts? I am interested in knowing if anyone else has had this failure.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I read most of the things posted on this forum and I do not remember anyone reporting that problem. I don't think it is to unlikely a dealer would have that part. Versions of the Toyota 2ZR engine is used in a lot of different Toyota products including the Corolla, some (or all) of them may use this same oil control valve.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZR_engine"]Toyota ZR engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was there a symptom other than the warning light/error code?

4. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did not notice anything when the check engine light came on. I was already in the neighboorhood. I took surface streets to the dealership. I imagine that I was down on power with the intake valves closing just before Top Dead Center.