1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

extremely stiff steering / poor return

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by prius_newb66, Apr 4, 2021.

1. prius_newb66

prius_newb66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey guys,

Since my car was out of action for awhile due to cat theft, I had an opportunity to drive a rental car for a few weeks and was reacquainted with a steering system that is super easy to turn. I always thought my 2009 Prius had stiff steering but now I think something might be wrong.

Getting the Prius back after cat repair, I realize how stiff the steering is. There is also very poor return of the wheel to center when coming out of a turn.

My questions:

Considering there is a bearing on the front struts, and my car has 140k on it with original suspension, could it be worn out front struts that are contributing to this issue? Alignment issues?

EPS issue? Does the EPS fail often or no?

I read a few places about a steering system recall -- not sure what this is about but is there any way to determine if my VIN has been in for recall service? Would this recall have anything to do with stiff steering developing over time in a 2009? Could my 2009 still get some attention for recall service of steering system?

Tires are brand new on my car and the steering was stiff with the old tires too.

Thanks for any ideas

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that were my car, I think I would start by querying the EPS for any trouble codes, 'cause that's an easy way to start and could tell you something.

Next I might check what the necessary steering effort really is. The spec in the manual is to park on a level paved road with the wheels facing forward, then turn the wheel 90° right of center and measure the effort at that point, then turn 90° left of center and measure the same thing. With the car ON so you should have electric assist, the specified effort at those two 90° points is 49 inch pounds. Then at least you'll know if yours is really a lot higher.

The procedure in the manual is to remove the airbag and then use an inch-pound beam torque wrench right on the center nut. That's a pain because you first have to unhook the battery, wait for the airbag system to disarm, safely remove the airbag, rehook the battery, turn the car ON so you can test the power steering (and the airbag ECU says "hey where'd my airbag go?!"), do the test, turn the car off, unhook the battery, wait, put the airbag back, rehook the battery, turn the car on, and clear the "hey where'd my airbag go?!" error.

It's a lot easier to just hook a pull scale somewhere at the rim of the steering wheel, pull on that, and convert the reading to inch pounds by multiplying by the radius from that point to the center of the wheel.

Assuming the effort really is excessive, the repair manual (more info) will cover the possible causes to be checked.

The Gen 1 had a notorious power steering issue when they got old and the torque sensors went flaky, but Gen 2 went to a different kind of torque sensor that isn't built that way.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enter the VIN here : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

The recall is available, if unused. Don't think it would fix the observed issue, but you never know.

New front suspension (with strut bearings) and an alignment might be warranted. Even if it doesn't fix the issue, you'll have a nicer ride.

Have you check the tire pressure lately?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recall was for a loose steering rack mechanism... I had it in my 2007 and symptom was that you could grab a front wheel while car was parked and it was slightly loose when shaking the wheel left and right. Auto repair shop said you have to replace steering rack, but Toyota recall fixed it by reinforcing the bolt where steering wheel shaft connects to steering rack.

However I think your car's problem is not specifically this, but something is wrong with your power steering system. Try removing the fuse for power steering and see if problem gets worse or stays the same and then let us know.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the struts and upper steering bearing on my cat at
    Around 80,000 miles car ride 200% better and steering effort improved th3 same just as you surmised. Use the factory oem bearing.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s weird when using my iPad the edit button does not appear after I post.

so let me fix my previous post i replaced the struts and steering bearing at around 80,000 miles. 100% better ride and steering effort was cut in half
    As you surmised.
    Not many posts on the EPS it’s a very good system. Based on my experience the factory struts last about 50 to 60,000 miles. Hard to notice as they go away as the car has a very stiff ride to begin with after they go away they then hit potholes really hard.