1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extremely Weird Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by James1903, Dec 13, 2020.

1. James1903

James1903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I recently purchased a 2010 prius with around 145k miles on it. It runs really smooth 99.99% of the time but I've come across a weird problem. I have no coolant consumption and I recently changed spark plugs. The problem goes like this, when the engine is off and I start accelerating, its smooth until the engine kicks on then it starts shaking like there's a misfire, so then I let off the gas completely and accelerate again and it completely goes away. But here's the weird part. It ONLY happens when I go on an EXACT turn at a green light. If the light is red then the engine has the opportunity to turn on before turning left so It doesnt happen. It only happens when I come up to the light green and slow down to make the turn then accelerate. The only other time I've had this happen was the known problem where you dont let the car go through a warm up cycle before turning it off the night before, so it misfires at start up. Again I have no coolant consumption and the oil wasn't milky at the last change. Can someone please help?? Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What does this mean in better detail? What is an exact turn?

3. James1903

James1903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So its only at this certain light in my city, it has never happened anywhere but at that turn. Its just a green light where you yield to people before you turn left on to a 55mph street. If there are no cars to yield to, then when I slow down to make the turn, the engine is not on so when I start accelerating when im on the road I turned onto, the engine will kick on and misfire or something along those lines. It happens every time only at that light, no where else

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the oil level?

5. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How recently did you purchase it? Can you take it back? Can you scan the ECU to see how long it has been since a code reset?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe the intake manifold is full of oil (a common gen3 problem) and your specific driving scenario and speed sloshes a slug of oil into one of the cylinders. If that is happening you need to get the intake off and clean it and put an oil catch can in series with the pcv hose. Quickly.

7. James1903

James1903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Oil level is good, im changing it in a few hundred miles

8. James1903

James1903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought it a few months ago used, I can get it scanned at autozone probably

I honestly don't think that is the problem because right when I let off the gas and immediately go again its perfectly smooth, I think it would take some more time before the oil exits the cylinder

#8 James1903, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does shake turning on a red light or yellow light?

SFO likes this.
  10. James1903

James1903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, it only shakes on a green light and there are no cars i have to yield to. If there are cars or its a red light then the acceleration is fast enough to fire up the engine before turning so it doesnt shake