1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EZ Tag (EZ Pass) toll tag placement

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Kensterfly, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We'll need to add an EZ pass tag to our new v5 and wondered if there was any issue with placing it over the dark shaded tint at the top of the windshield behind the rear view mirror. Does the dark tint affect the tag being read as you drive beneath a scanner? The toll authority has pretty strict rules about placement. So many vehicles have that dark, dotted tint around the center of the windshield these days so I have to assume that this will not be a problem.

Thanks for your input.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's where ours is placed, and no, it hasn't been an issue. We get hit with every toll!

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You do have an optical sensor on the back side of the rear view mirror, so it might be best to avoid that area. Put the tag on the opposite side of the mirror.

4. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just keep mine in the glove box and take it out and place it on my dash as I approach the toll plaza. Then afterwards, I put it back.

May not be the safest thing to do, but I can't stand looking at it mounted in my car all the time.

Rich Baril likes this.
  5. jae

jae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have ours mounted in the dark section like you describe. On the passenger side of the mirror mount. No issues with the tolls.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too. I use mine a couple times per year traveling up I-95 so I pull it out when needed and put it away afterward. Once time I forgot but it still picked the toll.

7. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should try it in the top glove box. If I works while in there, I will consider mounting it in there with the adhesive.

8. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had another thought- to mount it to the inside of the top glove box lid. I will have to experiment to make sure it works there I guess.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Optical sensor is driver's side, no? If the EZ-Pass is placed behind the mirror passenger's side, no issues.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...believe a friend recently told me there is smaller new EZ Pass transmitter now...we have the old clunky ones on our cars. I need to clarify what I heard. One of ours has been recalled for replacement, we'll see what we get back.

11. Rich Baril

Rich Baril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. Plus the mounts to the windshield don't come off very easily once adhered. Also, why advertise you have a transponder for prying eyes?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey we just got a new EZ Pass replacement in the mail, it is smaller footprint than the old big square one.
    We don't know why they requested replacement, except we do know they stop working at some age.
    The replacement one is on top:
    ezp photo p.jpg

PS- Perhaps TMI on the little black dots:

13. PriusistingCondition

PriusistingCondition Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I keep my toll transponder in my door pocket, it works every time in the Northern California Bay Area. If it were to miss, the toll authority will take a picture of my plates and deduct the amount from my account anyway. Keeping it in the door hasn't worked in other cars I've tried, but I think the shape and angle of glass of the v keeps it within the line of sight of the scanners.