1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fabric / Cloth Seats and Lower Back Pain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by zyx345, Aug 16, 2011.

1. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm... I have a sciatic nerve problem as well and I haven't experienced any discomfort in my Prius 3 even during a 6 hr drive last week. Then again, I sit with the seat back almost horizontal. :D

2. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've driven 1000 miles straight through twice now with no back issues & I've had low back surgery. I find the seat support to be excellent. I'm 6'2" & 250 lbs too.

3. PRIUSVIC

PRIUSVIC New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got my new 2011 Prius a month ago (in November) and my lower back has been aching ever since. I never had a lower back problem prior to driving the car! I've tried four different "cushions," hoping the last one I purchased will help.

I WISH I knew about this potential problem before getting the car. It SUCKS. Otherwise, I love the car. Had I known this would be an issue... I would've purchased the Prius IV which I believe has lumbar support.

I'm a short guy, so it's not my "height" that's the problem. "Tilting" the seat back one more notch doesn't do the trick either. Any other suggestions?

4. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you can DIY, look at my suggestion for adding foam in post #20. If you cannot DIY, go to a good auto upholstery shop that will work with you to make the same or similar improvements. Good luck.

5. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    this is exactly why I went with the "four" .. it has better seats, albeit not much but they re better, and offer lumbar control.

6. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was our MAIN reason for the 4. Leather holds up much better than fabric...especially with my wife driving it to the horse stable every day.....plus I had leather and lumbar in my 4 Runner and it was great. I do wish the Prius had motorized seat positioning like the 4 Runner. The tilt function was very nice. We did just return from a 2500 mile road trip and I think I was less achy and fatigued than when I took long trips in the 4 Runner. I think the seat being lower and able to slide back further in the Prius makes a difference.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A small rolled-up towel does the trick for me. No problems from eight-hour drives.

One other possible contributor if you carry a wallet in a rear pants pocket: try moving it to a front pocket or a coat pocket.

8. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Who carries a "wallet" in their back pocket anymore?
    seriously... .. just put a chain on it why don't ya.. :)

9. badboy99

badboy99 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone else added RECARO seats in there's as I did in my last two and my next one.
    You can start with one and add a second one later or just add both at once. Dealerships love it when I show them my seats. Better than a broken back is what I got before I got the RECAROS. Now I can sit for 24 hours in the car straight with nada. Also holds me in place when I race Motorcycles around corners!

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would want to add stuff on top of your seat - lumbar cushions, seat cushions, etc...

11. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just the same reason that I didn't buy a IV, I hate leather seats as does my wife. I did test drive one but I hated the way I slide around on it. Plus they are cold in the winter while being hot & sticky in the summer. The heated seats help in the winter but they are still cold at first & not much can help in the heat of summer. I find the fabric seats hold me better & are warmer in the winter & cooler in the summer. It was also $3k difference between the III & IV with the same equipment so it was hard to pay that much more for something I didn't even like. Luckily the dealer found a III 100 miles away. :cheer2: