1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fabric/Cotton in Engine?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jglonek, Apr 19, 2021.

1. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So I'll preface this with, it's been a long time since I opened up the hood of the car. And it's been over a year since a mechanic did either.

This is a 2012 C.

I went in to change the engine air filter, which went fine. But when I went to close the hood I saw this fabric/cotton whatever up in the top-right? Any idea if this belongs there, or fell off or something, or what's going on?

I don't have any photos of the engine of my specific Prius. I checked around online before posting this and I don't see anything indicating this should be there.

Attached Files:

• pc2.jpg
      pc2.jpg
      File size:
      170.4 KB
      Views:
    • pc1.jpg
      pc1.jpg
      File size:
      178.2 KB
      Views:
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rodente :(

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's an animal that built a nest in your engine compartment. It's important to regularly inspect and clean your car, especially engine compartment. If nesting goes on for too long you could have your wires chewed through and that's not a cheap repair.

jerrymildred and Pri3C like this.
  4. jglonek

jglonek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, hah. I was leaning between either animal nest or the last tech left something inside the engine. I was pretty sure it wasn't something unraveling that was protected but wanted to be sure.

Yeah I agree I need to check it more.

5. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with @PriusCamper. The plant/soy coated plastics in the engine can easily attract rodents.

I found a nest in pretty much the same spot when I was camping last spring. It happened overnight.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Almost certainly a rodent, as already mentioned.

Friendly advice section: A year without lifting the hood? That's begging for trouble. You can't assume that you have enough oil, brake fluid, washer fluid, etc. I'd urge you to check that stuff at least once a month if not at every tank. With a 10-year old car, something's going to bite you one of these days if you don't keep an eye on it. Dentists say to only floss the teeth you want to keep. I revise that to recommend only checking the oil on engines you want to keep. ;)

Pri3C and Georgina Rudkus like this.