1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fabric Seats Clean or Replace

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by robray, Sep 13, 2017.

1. robray

robray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2010 Prius that I installed Clazzio seat covers. When I installed the Clazzio's I also installed the seat heating pads recommended by TRD Sparks.

I used the adhesive tape to attach the seat heater pads to the stock seat fabric. The seat heating pads failed after a year and I have decided to remove them. Unfortunately the adhesive tape left a lot of residue on the fabric of the seat. I've tried some Goo Gone to get it off, but I really don't see it coming off. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on what to use to get adhesive off fabric without damaging the fabric?

I am debating replacing the stock seat covers. I have found a new stock OEM set of grey fabric seat covers from a 2015 Pruis III on ebay. They look identical to my stock seat covers in the photos. Does anyone know if they are the same thing? The color is one thing, but any changes to airbags over the years 2010 vs 2015?.

From my experience I really like the Clazzio seat covers, but I don't recommend the retrofit seat heaters. I definitely don't recommend applying the adhesive from seat heating pads to your stock seat fabric. If you do want seat heaters I would not recommend buying the seat heating pads from TRD Sparks, unless they have changed suppliers in the last few years. They failed after a year and TRD Sparks replaced the driver's side, but when the passenger side failed a few months later I was not helped. I accepted this without complaining as the heating pads did not work that great compared to the stock seat heaters in my BMW. The main problems are they don't heat up quickly enough (20+mins), the coverage over the seat back and seat is much less than stock and they seemed to never stop heating once they did heat up (maybe this is why they failed).

I forgot to mention that I am probably selling the car and even though the Clazzio seat covers hide the adhesive I don't feel it is right to not disclose the problem with the stock seat fabric under the covers. To avoid this issue I would rather just fix the problem.

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You may want to try a professional detailer. If you find a really great one, they have methods and tricks that are pretty amazing. Plus that would help the sale anyway!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. robray

robray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is an option, but I forgot to mention that I am super cheap.

The OEM seat cover set on ebay is $100. I was thinking I would buy that and put it on myself, but take it to a pro to do the special clips and things that need upholsterers tools.

I've been to a detailer once before and he did some pretty basic stuff and it was over $200. Wash wax etc. I will check it out, but I have a feeling it will be pricey.

4. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased OEM seat covers that were removed by an aftermarket installer of leather seats off e-bay for 65 bucks shipped for all the seats in my 2011. They are practically new. I replaced all my covers and it is beautiful and only needed a harbor freight hog ring pair of pliers and about 100 -150 stainless steel hog rings off e-bay. I did one seat at a time and learned as I went. Started with the rear bottom seat and then did the front passenger and then the rear backs and finally the drivers. It isn't that difficult if you take your time and have a good set of cutters for taking the original rings off. I would say the most difficult is the front drivers seat because it is tricky getting off the plastic lower pieces but if you can figure that out it will only cost you some sweat. Be sure the seller includes all the seat wires that attach to the frame with the hog rings. It makes it easier or you will need to transfer the wires off your seat covers to the new covers.

kc410 likes this.