1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fabric-Trimmed Seats vs. SofTex®-Trimmed Seats

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by gvp1995, Feb 18, 2016.

1. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Can someone please confirm I understand this correctly. Fabric-Trimmed Seats - the same as I have in Corolla, made of fabric, not leather. SofTex®-Trimmed Seats - artificial leather.

2. oldfridayrider

oldfridayrider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have it right

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes.

4. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you. In this case version Three has much less appeal.

5. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That may depend on exactly why. If you don't like the fabric interior on your Corolla, be aware that the fabric on the Prius is quite different; I couldn't say it's better, but you should take a look for yourself.

The Three Touring has Softex, though front seats are not heated/cooled as they are on the Four and Four Touring. I have looked closely at Softex, and I think "artificial leather" is a bit of a stretch. The immediate feel is more like a high-quality textured vinyl, though I understand it's supposed to breathe more like leather and get less hot in the sun. Again, I'd strongly recommend you look at both interiors for yourself without pre-judging.

6. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Good point! Thank you. I will definitely give it a look. Yes, I don't like the fabric on Corolla, it is like Velcro. And I do love the leather on my Gen 2 - pack 6. But they don't do it any more.

This whole fabric thing is an artifact of a bigger problem I am trying to figure. 3 (3T) has spare tire, 4 (4T) has HomeLink, and I need both. So first I thought I would try to install a spare on 4 (like somebody did with 2 Eco). But later I read that it might be possible to install HomeLink on 3 (3T) instead. After examination I found they do have different seat fabric. So I will go and try it for myself.

7. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Assuming you can get an aftermarket solution for HomeLink (which does seem likely), I'd just note that if you don't like the fabric but still want the spare tire, that can be accomplished with the Three Touring, which has the Softex interior and a spare.

8. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Myself I would see if Clazzio Seat Covers would be available. Had these in another vehicle were really great looking and additional cushioning.

bisco likes this.
  9. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is exactly the plan! If I can get HomeLink on 3 (T), I will keep them both in mind, and test fabric for myself before dismissing it. In addition to the spare, the other thing that is not good in my view in 4 (T), is the fact that the trunk floor is lower, and because of this the surface is not flat when you fold the rear sits.

10. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They really need to come up with on demand car manufacturing where you select everything you want, then poof your perfect car appears. I have homelink but no use for it. Like the SoftTex but because I have dogs, I was hoping for fabric instead. etc, etc.

krmcg likes this.
  11. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Or at least have it as before: each next package includes all previous. This time every package is different and unique. Crazy talk!

12. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I have to ask - why would a fabric interior be better for dogs? Surely the Softex is more durable! We assumed so, but we are very gentle on car interiors and live in a hot sunny place, so we care more about hot pleather seats than surfaces suitable for abuse.

13. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't know about Softex but my last car had leather and the dogs slip around on the leather. Although I decided to buy a black fabric cover for the back seat but even then, I would think the cover my slip a little with Softtex and could stay better if the backseat was fabric.

14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm also pretty sure that Clazzio and others will be making high-end seatcovers available at some point. I have Clazzio's on our Gen III and love them! Just give them some time...

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on how big your dogs are, there are some available accessories from Japan.

トヨタ プリウス | おすすめコーディネート | 室内・インテリア | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

[​IMG]

RCO likes this.
  16. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've always had fabric, but i love my wife's hycam leatherette on long trips, much more comfortable. i would think the clazzio's would be perfect for those wanting leather on packages without it.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing to be aware about with front seats and seat covers is ...
    the crevice behind the seat between the seat bottom and seatback may be blocked by a large flap. What that means is that the seatback cover cannot come through the crevice and secure to itself. The bottom cover can, so end up with a velcro tab on seatback cover that hooks to the seat bottom cover, but it can loosen up, get a little baggy at bottom of seatback cover. Gen 3 has that flap. Don't know if the gen4 has it.

Even if you were to fold back the original seat flap, the custom cover will not be designed to come through the crevice and secure to itself for a tight fit. That's how my leather GT Covers are and I'll bet the Clazzios use the same scheme.

RCO likes this.
  20. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, this exists. It's called "bespoke" and you pay six figures for it!

RCO likes this.