1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Facebook

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by barbaram, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I lived in Silicon Valley during the dot-com years. It doesn't even crack the Top 100 for Craziest IPOs I've Seen. Not that I'd buy it personally (of course, I said the same thing about Google when it opened at $100+).

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We have a strong tendency to remember the exceptional and forget the mundane. It's easy to say "I should have bought Google, or Microsoft, or Apple, or IBM at the beginning." But for each of those companies, there were a hundred others that failed, but which were indistinguishable a the start.

In 20 years people will be wishing they had bought this or that company, and nobody will remember how many people thought that EEStor was headed for greatness, and took a bath buying Zenn stock on the strength of its stake in the alleged miracle EESU.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not me. Knowing quite a few used-to-be-millionaires (on paper) who are now working at Starbuck's, I remember the exceptional: the exceptional crash-and-burns. You're right, it's easy to say "I should have bought X", but I tend more to say "I am so glad I never bought (Webvan/Pets.com/whatever dot com) stocks."

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I always say "I wish I'd bought Apple..." or whatever. But when it comes time to actually buy stock, I buy only token amounts of companies I like to feel part of (Toyota, Tesla) so that I can say I own them, and I put my real investments into mutual funds, which spread the risk and pay dividends (or in the case of bond funds, interest.)

Most new companies fail. They typically present a very high risk, and when they succeed, a very high return. Sort of like roulette. A smart person invests in a new company only when s/he has a good understanding of the business plan, a lot of confidence in the manager, a strong belief in the vision, and a willingness to lose the money if things don't work out.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A large fraction of the populace love to chat, and love to gossip. They will use FB (or a look-alike) so long as it is free and available. Much less obvious to me is whether FB has intrinsic economic value. I realize marketers think they can profit by manipulating social networks, but I tend to think that over time FB will come to be viewed as a polluted swamp of commercial interests, somewhat similar to the fate that newsgroups fell prey.

Disclaimer: I do not participate in FaceBook, or bother to read its content. It is just too boring to bother with, like the gossip magazines still sold in supermarkets.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the local PBS station here, there was an interview w/Zuck from 2010 broadcast on a show called Revolutionaries. They've put it online at:

It was decent.