1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Facelift MFD; freeway exit information screen; Route information bar

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by gromittoo, Sep 18, 2021.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK I have been using my Facelift MFD for a month of heavy Ubering. Two annoying things I cannot figure out from the 2016 wners manual.

The first thing that I find really annoying is that the Full Map view disappears when I am on a Freeway. The right side is replaced with a "freeway exit information screen", and the map view is no longer on the whole screen.

I am driving on familiar expressways, so I could care less about what gas stations are at the next exit. When I pass an exit, that half of the screen flashes, which is really distracting. I use the Schuylkill Expressway frequently has lots of twists and winds alongside the Schuylkill river it is following. The wide view is more useful so I can see upcoming HD traffic. I looked at the Navigation setup screen, and there is a button for configuring the "freeway exit information screen" (item 5 in the diagram), but it is grayed out. I expect it to be grayed out on the freeway, if I am moving.

I want to completely disable the "freeway exit information screen", but cannot figure out how to do it.

upload_2021-9-18_17-21-28.png

The second thing that I find really annoying is that the name of the current road I am on must be re-selected every time I start the car. That is the single most important piece of information that the GPS is providing this Uber driver. According to the manual, the field that shows the current road name is called the "Route Information Bar". In order to get the name of the road to appear again, I must put the map in wide view, then press the "Route Information Button" two times, about 1 second apart.

The description of that button from the "2016 Navigation Owners Manual" is:
    Select to change the display between the current
    street name and the distance with the estimated
    travel/arrival time.​

Why does it reset every time I restart the car? At least a dozen times per shift, I mistakenly press the "start" button (turning the car off) while reaching for the Park Button to Unlock the doors for my passengers. I don't use the navigation part of this unit, so of course the "distance" and "estimated arrival time" are blank. I only want to know with 100% certainty the name road I am on (and the compass direction), since phones often get that information wrong. I did not have this issue with the 57011 unit.

I have attached the 2016 Auido / Navigation manual.

Attached Files:

2. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The process of writing this helped me reason this out. I have solved both problems.

Problem 1: Unwanted "freeway exit information screen":

Looking at the following screen:
    upload_2021-9-18_18-4-36.png Distance to Destination"
    What is not obvious is that those buttons are a group of "Radio" buttons, not "Toggle" buttons. A Radio Button Group has the property that only one button can be active at a time. If the current mode is "Freeway Exit List", and you want to have the mode be "Map Only", you press the "Map Only" button. "Radio buttons" get their name from old school car radios that had mechanical station preset buttons (Typically 5 or 6 button). Mechanical interlocks prevented you from pushing two buttons at the same time. If you were listening to a station at 94.1, and you wanted to listen to 102.1, you would press the button you had previously manually set to tune to 102.1.

When I saw this display, I assumed that if I wanted to get rid of the Freeway Exit List, I should press that button to turn that display off. Radio buttons in modern UI design look like the following:
    [​IMG]

This is a case of bad UI design, including the ambiguous "Select the desired configuration button" from the manual.

Problem 2: Disappearing Road / Street name:

This one was harder to figure out. Apparently, late one night, I decided to use the GPS to navigate to my home. When I got tired of the annoying voice, I canceled the navigation. Or at least that is what I thought I had done. Apparently, I had only "paused" the navigation.

Apparently, if there is an active navigation (and "paused" counts as active), the "Route Information Bar" has three states:

1) "Current Road / Street name"
    2) "Distance to Destination (Blank if "Paused")
    3) " ETA to Destination (Blank if "Paused")

Some fool programmer decided that on power up, the "Route Information Bar" initially shows one of the blank states.

The solution to my problem stumbled apon when I hit option the Option button on the map screen, and the Navigation Options screen appeared as below (sort of):
    upload_2021-9-18_18-42-36.png

What the manual does not tell you is that the button sometimes get hidden, or the title might change. What I noticed was buttons 4 and 6 were missing, and button 5 said "Resume Guidance".

I pressed "Resume Guidance", and I started to hear voice directions on how to get home. I could not find a way in the UI to cancel the guidance, but I used the "Voice Command" Button on my steering wheel, and after a few attempts of "Cancel Guidance" guidance was canceled. Once Guidance, was canceled, not only did the street name come up right away after power up, but the "Route Information Button" was no longer displayed.

Note that I have two Prius V's but only one steering wheel has the Voice Command" Button.

I

Attached Files:

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Completely over my head; our 2010 CDN Touring doesn’t even have maps, but you’re definitely shedding light in dark corners. (y)