1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory EV Button installed - details

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HTMLSpinnr, Mar 28, 2004.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    See the writeup - the packaging pictures show the part numbers for each.

2. ozt

ozt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, I bought the same Radio Shack phone tap in your writeup when I read about Coastal Dave's flasher mod. I was reluctant to use them because I don't know how to remove the tap nicely if I ever need to. I couldn't find the same kind of tap Dave used, which looked easier to remove.

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, they do look a bit harder to remove :-/ Didn't consider that, then again I didn't plan on removing that part of the mod "just in case", but rather putting the blank back in so it's not outwardly visible in the event that something like that could be questioned.

-Rick

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mines in too!!!

Tosh, Thank you, thank you, thank you again for going to the trouble for this group buy, I feel a bit guilty we didn't all chip in to pay for your button too, just for doing this....I hope there was at least a little bit left over from the Wayne button donations.

Rick,
    Your write-up was pretty helpful, couple things still left me a little confused--I think more clarification, including a diagram, of which connections are which is in line...maybe, if you can find it, use that Japanese diagram that Tosh sent us a while back and just relabel it in PS or something in English.

Finally,
    I had a heck of a time finding either of the connectors that Tosh or Rick used, and Wayne doesn't have any idea what his were. But, I found something at RadioShack that worked perfectly.

Cat. No. 274-236 6-Conductor Female Molded Nylon Connector with 0.093" crimp terminals

They fit perfectly into the connector plug and they even lock in nicely. Should simplify the process of 'finding' for everyone else since everything can be obtained from RadioShack.
    --eva

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see what I can add as far as diagrams, however I think we were asked not to share in some cases, which is why it wasn't included.

Tosh, if it's okay with you, I'd like to use the pin-layout (modified) if you don't mind, otherwise I'll devise my own.

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I will try to work on a pin diagram tomorrow. If you use the housing, it is marked 1-6 from right to left. Looking at my picture, the numbering should start from the right when looking at the plug, or from the left when looking at the EV button plug.

(1) ILL +, (2) ILL -, (3) EV +, (4) EV -

ILL +/- need to be tapped from the source mentioned if proper dimming is to be achieved. EV - can be a chassis ground, and EV + is the line that goes to the ECU.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great Rick,
    It'll be a help as there isn't any one place where all 4 pins are clearly labled (one place has 3 of them so it isn't too hard to figure out the 4th one), I found myself checking a couple different sources just to be absolutely certain I wasn't crossing wires.

The only thing I'd suggest is maybe labeling this way:

(1) ILL +, (2) ILL - (ILL ground), (3) EV +, (4) EV - (EV Ground)

Since no where else is the EV ground refered to as EV- in my article and I think we should try to be sure the novice installer isn't confused by differing language.
    --evan

BTW, Man is it fun having the genuine button in!! It took me about 20 minutes to construct the harness and about 15 minutes to get it actually installed (remember that I already had the EV button installed so there wasn't an issue of dealing with that, just had to connect the old wires to the new ones.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do we have a part no. for the housing that Rick suggested? Or is it not really needed based on the part Evan found? Also, are these Toyota part nos. going to be the same in the Netherlands as in Japan? I'm going to try getting parts through a Danish workmate's family.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The RadioShack part I used was really about a perfect fit...I see no need for a more expensive harness from Toyota unless you're really compulsive. I can't say with certainty that the Netherlands part is going to be the same, but would expect that it is the same part as made in Japan. It was curious, even though the part is made in Japan, sold in Japan, and presumably marketed to Japanese, the entire label was in English.

There are Toyota part numbers....but thanks to Yahoo's terrible search engine I can't find it right now...I think I printed them off at home, but don't have that right now. Still, I wouldn't waste the money.

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the Toyota housing is still requied - we're just buying third party connectors for the metal connectors that fit in side the housing. It seems that we've found several alternatives for the metal connectors, but the Toyota housing (part number showin in the picture) would still be required.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gosh, I think we need better terminology for what each thing is...I think Rick is right, the "Housing" technically includes the button, metal connectors, bulb, etc...the main unit for the button. There's a plastic plug that you need the little metal connectors from RS for. There is also a special harness from Toyota that has the metal connectors and some wires and stuff, but it's costly and unnecessary.

Hope that's a little more clear.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    "Button" - EV button
    "Housing" - Plastic portion of the plug that plugs into the EV button
    "(Crimp) Connectors" - Metal pins which fit inside housing
    "Wiring Harness" - The combination of the Housing, Connectors, and wires connected to connectors
    "Assembly" - The button connected to the harness

Yes - instead of buying a costly harness - which may have involved an entire wiring loom (a bunch of harnesses taped together in huge bunch), we opted to construct our own harness using our own wires, our own crimp connectors (Either Radio Shack, Philmore, or Molex thus far) and using Toyota's plug housing. We put our own crimp connectors connected to our own wiring inside Toyota's Plug housing, which is a perfect locking fit for the EV button.

Let us know if this is still unclear. :) I know we may be making some of this up as we go, but that's part of pioneering the effort without reasonable documentation to back it up! :)

-Rick

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks. I'll just try for the original 2 parts. Just thought there might be some advantage to getting the 3rd part, but apparantly not. Radio Shack, here I come...

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to update everyone - My danish source said the cost was going to be about $100 US. Either they were including the harness in there or they've got one heck of a value added tax on car parts. Fortunately, I got in on the 2nd group buy at yahoo-2g, so it became a moot issue. Thanks again.

15. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can verify the price you mention from a recent trip to Amsterdam. I wasn't smart enough to inquire about the housing, but the EV button alone was $77 US including VAT.