1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory GPS

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by hackenfort, Dec 3, 2014.

1. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just returned from a nice vacation. NY to FL via S Carolina to pickup my daughter .
    Boy am I glad I had my garmin gps in the glove box, as the factory Toyota couldn't find many of the addresses and got me lost a few times. Needless to say the cheap little garmin saved the trip. Can't believe that Toyota put such ann expensive gps in that didn't perform nearly as well as a low cost garmin.

Hope my experience isn't typical. Any one have any feedback with thier factory GPS

#1 hackenfort, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Humor yourself by doing a search here, lots of chatter about the garmin and the performance of the factory gps.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never heard good things about any factory GPS.

5. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have only used the factory GPS about 6 times in two years, but it has never failed me. I am apparently the exception however, based on other posts at this forum. At first I didn't think the "Destination" voice command was working at all. Then I realized it was just VERY slow to respond, and that it would confirm the address in reverse order, saying the State first, then street, and street number, often with long pauses in between each one.

I do think the map update charges are outrageous, and I did encounter a blocked road (probably permanently) that the GPS was not aware of, but it quickly recalculated my route to get me around it. So far I am very satisfied with the performance. I have learned never to ask for the "shortest" route. The one time I chose that instead of "fastest" it plotted a ridiculous path through so many neighborhoods and back roads and a bazillion twists and turns that it drove me nuts.

ztanos likes this.
  6. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a nice Garmin, but it's so freakin' difficult to use that I've migrated to using iPhone Maps. Garmin is in the glove box but rarely leaves it. iPhone is easy to use and attaches to Bluetooth in my Tacoma. Even mutes the audio I'm listening to to give me directions, then restores the volume. And I don't have to refresh the maps via my computer like the Garmin requires.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Believe it. The process is very different for developing an in-car GPS versus a mass-produced consumer item. I was told that updating my Prius nav was a $200 charge by the dealer. I have free updates for life on my $100 Garmin GPS, and it's better than the Prius nav by an order of magnitude.

8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My C does not have GPS, but i have 2 other cars with factory GPS and all i can say is that i dont ever use them, i always use my phone or a dedicated GPS. Any modern standalone GPS gets traffic updates and map updates. The factory units do not, in most cases.

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, and Google Nav is another order of magnitude better than the Garmin GPS.

10. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm always use Waze from my iPhone 6 Plus because the factory GPS is a joke.

The only factory GPS I love is in the E class, saved me few hours to avoid traffic from Vegas home just last weekend.

11. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2013 Prius v. Your experience is typical for the factory navigation system. My wife tried to use the navigation to find a friends house in a development that was about 4 years old. No luck with that. The maps we got when the vehicle was delivered were dated May 2011. Wife insisted that we get the maps updated. Went to the dealer in November 2014 and got the maps updated. It cost $230!!! The newest maps that were available were July 2013. Still seriously outdated. Lesson learned, forget about the factory navigation and use the Garmin.

BTW. I tried Here Maps on Android. You have to download it from your browser, not the Play Store. The great thing about Here maps is that you can download entire states or all of N. America and use the maps offline. I experimented with the Here maps on an old 7 inch tablet with only wifi capability. Installed the app and maps at home with the wifi, changed settings to offline only and was able to use it for navigation in the car with no problems. Even this free workaround worked better that the factory nav. I had problems with Google maps failing when I don't have a data connection in rural areas. Garmin, Here, Google maps: all better than the Toyota navigation.

#11 ems2158, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All the good nav data is under lock and key by those companies who use it to sell own their nav equipment, namely Garmin and TomTom. Google is way ahead of either of them. Third-parties, like Toyota must go begging to buy this data, and they have to pay a lot for data which isn't A-class, and therefore doesn't pose a threat to the GPS companies' sales of their own products. Apple found this out in their little spat with Google; customers were accustomed to accurate data, but when Apple ditched Google Maps and released Apple Maps, (with data purchased from TomTom I believe) it left a lot to be desired.

#12 GregP507, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  13. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll keep the garmin upto date and handy. For what Toyota charges why wouldn't they just contract with garmin or someone that knows what they are doing?

Must say the traffic update feature seemed to work fine

14. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't want my Toyota GPS but not that I have it, I use it quite a bit.
    They DO need to be updated every couple of years though.
    Your '12 car probably has maps from '11 so it is time for an update.
    Alas, that is expensive too.
    Garmin or smart phone are better choices in almost all cases.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Glad you mentioned that. I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring with factory GPS. I use it because I paid a lot of money for it. I also have a portable $100 Garmin. The Garmin is just better period. It is easier to use, gives directions better and you can find addresses, restaurants, etc. easier. The factory one is a clumsy klutz.

16. Mike & Flo Adams

Mike & Flo Adams "God makes the wind. We set the sails."

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Strange... why would so many people think the factory Prius GPS is so bad? We have had a Prius since 1999. Bought the first one via the Internet back when that was the only way to pre-order. We have traveled thousands of miles over the years and never had a problem. With our new 2014c we thought we had a problem until the dealer gave use an update. Then, no more problems. They built several new major roads in central Texas in 2012 and 2013. They were not on the maps. We have a hand held Garmin for sailing off the coast. It also works great but the screen is so small it is difficult to follow. Sorry there is so much trouble. You guys should band together and try to figure it out. Something is wrong here and maybe it can be fixed.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with buying someone else's product, is that the product they sell you is intended to make theirs look better by comparison.

18. Mike & Flo Adams

Mike & Flo Adams "God makes the wind. We set the sails."

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Pardon?

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suppose I should explain. Toyota, like most automakers don't develop their own GPS navigation systems. In fact, few companies can afford the massive investment required, therefore they are forced to buy the technology from the few companies who are heavily invested in GPS technology. However, these companies are also direct competitors against the built-in nav systems in cars, selling their own GPS nav units, therefore it's in their self-interest to sell the second-rate technology to carmakers, while keeping the best technology for themselves.