1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory look gps on ebay

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius2010II, Jun 6, 2011.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    blaqdragun: Lets go to my gallery PriusChat Forums - PaJa's Albums.
    I noticed you have 2nd gen Prius, so just to be sure - this discussion is for 3rd gen.

1 person likes this.
  2. blaqdragun

blaqdragun New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you PaJa for bringing my profile inadequacy to my attention. Truth be told I do not have a Prius at all (Yet!). I am still on a waiting list for my 2011 package II in blue. I will correct my profile as I think it was set automatically....weird. I am researching mods now to help me pass the time. Thanks again for the link to your gallery.

3. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeremy's unit is now in my T3 (similar to USA model 2). Installation was really easy. Just unplug the aerial and the 3 connectors from the stock unit, plug them into the new unit and off we go. The T3 doesn't have bluetooth or JBL (or any fancy stuff) so it really was an easy swap. The new unit even had the mounting brackets already. :)

4. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unit likes my 16GB SD card even though the ebay item suggests 8GB is the max.

Also, on the multimedia screen, there is a screen 2 which has 4 options (music, photos, video, ebook). These options would appear to access the nav SD card. If you select music and then click on the folder icon, you get a browser screen which shows the contents of the nav SD card.

5. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have been trying out some of the unit's features and am finding a few quirks.

When playing MP3/WMA from the SD card, the unit doesn't remember where it was when you turned off so when you turn back on, it goes to file1 in folder1. Also when it reaches the last file in a folder, instead of going on to the first file in the next folder (like it does with MP3 CDs), it just repeats the folder. There is no random play feature (or playlists). The unit tries to display the MP3 tag data but often, this doesn't work. Trying to select a different folder requires precise use of the touch screen (cannot be done using the steering wheel controls) so is not possible when driving (unless you have a passenger).

The virtual CD unit could be handy for storing audio CDs but it has trouble copying the CDs and you get tracks missing so not that good.

I notice that the Ebay seller doesn't have any more of the RHD prius units for sale so perhaps he has no more?

6. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't be surprised if a UK or EU based distributor contacts them to take over their local sales.

7. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lucky you. It will nice if Jeremy can show his new Sony unit. Does the unit fit nicely in fascia without the metra adapter?

8. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the Sony fit in nicely? Does it still require the metra adapter?

9. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Sony looks like a double din unit, so it will require an installation kit.

10. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sony fits, but not that nicely at the moment. I used the Toyota OEM dash kit, plus the Metra infill strips either side. I used the original radio brackets to fit the Sony, but they position the unit too far out really. I need to make some new brackets to allow the unit to slide back into the dash about 1/2", so that the front of the unit is more or less flush with the infill strips, but haven't got around to it yet.

The Sony works well. The nav (TomTom with Live) is very, very good, the best I've ever used. The FM radio is OK, but not perfect and doesn't display as much RDS programme info as my old Kenwood. The USB audio is OK, but quite fussy about the way the USB stick is organised (and there's nothing in the Sony documentation to tell you about this!). Overall the Sony is OK, but if I hadn't got it for free I wouldn't have paid the high price they want for it.

11. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw this http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...5-level-ii-sony-xnv-770bt-installation-3.html fits nicely without the metra in fills. Looks like the same model. Is it because the fascia is LHD one?

12. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That fascia is probably the Metra one, which is LHD only and not textured, just a smooth finish. I don't believe that the aftermarket suppliers make a RHD fascia yet, the only one available is the Toyota one.

The Toyota OEM fascia is textured to match the dash exactly and is available in both LHD and RHD versions. The snag is it needs the infill pieces, because the opening is intended to take the Toyota TNS510 nav unit, rather than a standard double DIN unit.

1 person likes this.
  13. MSKamarudin

MSKamarudin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much. I have yet to find out whether TNS510 will available here in Malaysia and most important whether it will work with any of the available Malaysia-Singapore maps.

14. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The reviews I've seen on the TNS510 seem to show that its a bit old fashioned in the way that it works and doesn't have the functionality of some of the aftermarket units. It is also pretty expensive, I believe!

You can get a Chinese unit that fits the Toyota OEM fascia panel though. For example, this unit 6.2'' CAR DVD PLAYER GPS FOR TOYOTA VIOS COROLLA | eBay would fit OK and should wire up to the Prius OK, too, as Toyota use a common connector scheme between models. The only mod needed might be to turn on the JBL amplifier, if your Prius has this.

15. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out Wholesale Electronics - China Wholesale - Dropship From China as well.

I prefer them to ebay, as their returns/warranty is 1 year.

Still chinese stuff, so don't expect it to last forever, but there are some good electronics there (looking at a 2-din dvd unit which has the same cpu as the iPhone).

16. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ebay ---motonavi?

17. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, motonavi is one seller who seems to stock the Toyota-size doube DIN units, like this one: 6.2"HD DVD player toyota RAV4 1996-2005 Radio GPS SD Navi GPS A2DP BT IPOD RDS | eBay

Generally, if a unit is described as being for the older Toyota Rav4, Camry etc it should fit the Toyota OEM dash panel fascia and should wire up to the Prius OK. I fitted a unit similar to that Motonavi one I've just linked to, using the Toyota OEM dash panel and found that it worked OK. There are two versions of the Toyota OEM dash panel, one for LHD and one for RHD. Both are very expensive (around $80 - $100).

1 person likes this.
  18. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i purchased one ,as i am here ,receive it very fast,maybe i can post some picture.
    but do not know how to upload picture here

19. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    . Both are very expensive (around $80 - $100).[/QUOTE]

it is a pity that i can not upload a picture,but it is a really good device,hope Jeremy Harris can give some interface pictures here to help other member who was waiting for that device.

20. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    great! they have the pruis again! great news!