1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory Red/Super Long Life Coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 3, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have about a gallon of the Toyota Long-Life "Factory Red" coolant (in two separate jugs).

But, I have read about the NEW Super Long-Life. I find things that say the two coolants are compatible -- but are they interchangeable?

In other words, is it OK to use the Long-Life Factory Red in my 2008 Prius? Or do I have to buy the Super Long Life Pink, which the guy at the dealership counter told I HAD TO USE INSTEAD.

Since the parts guy (him personally) steered me wrong several years ago, I do not trust his opinion. I tried to google this, but came up with no answers.

Other than that ready to go to Iowa next week. Have put about 100 miles on my Prius since my last incident and no further incidents (let us all hope...).

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Compatible means that it will not react with the other to cause damage to a system that already has the older coolant installed.

Apparently, the newer type has superseded the older.

Just used the older until it is all gone.

When replacing the coolant in the future, drain the older and install the newer.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The red Toyota Long Life Coolant has a service life of 30K miles. Compare to the pink Super Long Life Coolant. When SLLC is factory fill, it has a service life of 100K miles. Refills in the field have a service life of 50K miles.

SLLC has been used in Prius since model year 2003 so it is not exactly new...

The coolants can be mixed but if you use the red Long Life Coolant then you should be prepared to drain and replace the coolant more frequently.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    'Pink' comes pre-diluted (as a 1:1 mix with distilled water.)
    I am not sure about 'red.'

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Red LLC needs to be mixed with distilled water.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't change the coolant before going to Iowa. And pass the popcorn

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MEN! -- I keep telling you guys, no popcorn -- bonbons!

At any rate, not planning to change anything (except underwear) before leaving. Not even planning to take any coolant with me, but I was at the parts counter and I asked....

But good to know I would not destroy my engine if I used the Red Coolant, as the parts guy told me.

Kr.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange how this exact question came up a few weeks ago. My son was visiting from New Hampshire with our 2008 Prius. The ICE water pump had been replaced by the dealer (under warranty) in June. He noticed an oily spot on the driveway. I immediately knew that it could not be anything but the water pump. I opened the hood and noticed dried fluid encrusted on the pump itself. Since it was Sunday evening and he was preparing for the trip home (and the car was low on coolant) there were not too many options. I had a gallon of LL coolant for my 1003 Highlander. I, too, was wondering if the two coolants were compatible. After an extensive search, I did find a reply from Patrick similar to what he posted above. The owner's manual only indicated that the following should be used: "Either Toyota Super Long Life Coolant or a similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long life organic acid technology."

I did add 8oz + 8oz of distilled water to bring the level up to where it should be. The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow for "rework" to replace the water pump. I specifically asked that the coolant be drained and replaced with SLL. Car is still under warranty...

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The recall was not on the ICE water pump, it was on the inverter water pump. Also if the ICE water pump is seeping fluid, it would dry before hitting the ground. The oily spot you mentioned on your post has nothing to do with the water pump.

10. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has nothing to do with the inverter recall. The ICE pump was replaced under the Certified Used 100,000 mile warranty and it failed. The pink deposits (dried) were on the top portion which is visible when the hood is open. Pump is noticeably weeping as coolant level is low.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I won't ever leave a coolant in a car for 100,000 mikes ore even five years, NO MATTER what the manufacturer recommends.

I usually change coolant every two years without regard to mileage.

Since my 2012 Prius"v" has only 13, 330 miles on it so far, I'll wit until the third year and replace it then.

I plan to use the red coolant in the engine cooling system and the pink in the inverter loop.

Since both the radiator and heater core, as well as the inverter are very very expensive to replace, coolant and changing it is easy and cheap.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh extended warranty...nice. Yes these pumps are quite poor, fail even after replacement.

13. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing - the original water pump in my '05 Prius held up for 210,000 miles before being replaced! After 2 weeks with the LLC coolant - no problems BUT when the water pump is replaced again, I am having the dealership replace the ICE coolant with the SLLC. The car is still under the 100,000 mile mark and under warranty...

#13 Priusyipee, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I gather that the coolant protects the pumps too -- or that old coolant hastens their demise.

All in all, it is smart to keep up with the maintenance schedule with regard to coolant, if not exceed it somewhat.

Mike500 likes this.
  15. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely! the coolant DOES protect the pump. Not sure why the pump in the '08 failed at 89,000 miles and again at 94,000 miles. I suspect that this was more a case of a bad installation on the dealership's part. The "leak" was more than weeping. Used about 1/2 gallon of LLC in the past few weeks which is equivalent to 1 gallon after the distilled water is added.

The car was bought down for the rework today and...the water pump was changed and they charged my son 109.00 to replace the coolant. The "service writer" told my son that "Since the car is close to 100,000 miles, it was time to change the fluid.

Unfortunately, the service writer did not cross reference the repair invoice number (provided by me) from the pump replacement on May 31. At that time, the coolant was supposedly changed.

I tried to get in touch with the service manager BEFORE the car was brought in to avoid this "mistake" but he was out on vacation. Time to go into the dealership on Monday to speak with the service manager and get a refund (or threaten to get in touch with Toyota corporate) - works like a charm!

16. michael1924

michael1924 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good evening, I have a 2008 Toyota Prius. I replaced the inverter/converter, in the process i lost the pink SLLC coolant. The level is very low now. Toyota is closed today, Can i use refill ewith regular antifreeze until i can go to toyota tomorrow.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No; just use distilled water for that short run. Don't contaminate the system.

SageBrush likes this.
  18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just keep in mind that water freezes around 32F, so wait for the day to warm up ;)