1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory Satellite antenna connector to aftermarket tuner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rockyroll, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rockyroll

rockyroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

Recently bought a new 2010 Prius II… and here’s my first post.
    I'll be soon installing Pioneer AVIC-X920BT head unit coupled with Pioneer GEX-P920XM tuner and would like to reuse a factory satellite antenna for XM reception.

I've read several posts in Priuschat, but still not sure about which adapter I should use to connect Pioneer tuner to Gen 3 Prius antenna . I know that the factory plug is squared and it is under central console which I have not opened yet.

It seems that the right fit is either Vaistech SFA12M or SFA12Fwhich are sold at several internet stores for as low as $50 or so.
    Unfortunately I don't have proper privileges to posts links yet, but the larger pictures of connectors can be found at TSS-radio store.

I inquired Vaistech but they are not sure which one of the two fits 2010 Prius, although they state that one of them definitely does fit. Does anyone know which one is the right fit? :confused:

Many thanks

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do a search - there are many posts on antenna location.

Keep in mind, you really are putting in 2 antennas. They are the little square things (1.5" x 1.5").

Frenchie went with the real factory location for aftermarket - this requires removing the dash (IMHO way too much work). The basic location is somewhat center right if I'm remembering right.

I've got both my antennas in the front left squaker location - this works flawlessly.

If you want to play around a bit, I found the antennas will also work wedged up under the dash (from the opening when you are putting in the HU). I even found they work just placed on top of the HU - but XM reception was not as good in all terrains....

FYI - I have the Pioneer Z120BT (upgraded from Z110BT), and XM interface. The XM, and PAC steering interfaces fit behind the HU in the dash - it's an easy location... The other thing to think about is mic location. The Pioneer is very sensitive to location - best that most have found is top left corner. I would also consider the PAC remote interface (gives more control and fits on the steering wheel).

Goto avic411.com for more info... For what it's worth, the Z110/Z120 was just partially hacked (right now for upgrades) - this means it may become a very nice unit in the future...

Good luck...

EDIT: To clarify, your HU comes with a GPS antenna, your XM interface comes with a GPS antenna - use these and mount wherever (again search). The radio antenna (AM/FM) just plugs in - no adapter.

3. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can do a site search. A couple of posters used the shark fin adapter.I'll give you a link.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../81705-avic-x920bt-protector.html#post1172750

I've been looking for a lower cost alternative, haven't found one.

I think the antenna wire is buried under the center console. Maybe take it apart, snap a picture of the connector and email it to Vaistech

rrolff--The OP wants to use the factory XM antenna. I understand that antenna is mounted in the base of the am/fm antenna (on roof). I understand the antenna is factory installed in Prius II units. It has a non-standard (square) connector. Many (most) people either don't know about the adapter cable or would rather use the free antenna included with their SAT receiver rather then spend $50-$70 for the adapter.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand - but you are already installing an antenna for GPS - why not add a second for XM... The antenna is free (comes with Pioneer).

Of course, maybe that factory one can be split - but I would have no idea of the performance... Since the Pioneer comes with matching antenna (GPS and XM), that's what i'd use...

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I already said most people would rather use the free antenna that came with their sat radio rather then pay $50-$70 for the shark fin adapter.:) I agree with your point.

Some people think a SAT antenna, but not necessarily a GPS antenna, should be roof mounted. How often does the GPS check for a signal? Once a second? How many of those can be "missed" due to poor signal without significantly affecting location? The same number of "missed signals" would create a lot of pauses in radio reception and be annoying.

At one point factory instructions suggested mounting GPS antenna under the dash but mounting the SAT radio antenna on the roof. Toyota has gone so far as to include the SAT radio antenna in Prius II cars which don't even have SAT radio.

I agree some cars work OK with the SAT antenna inside the car. Roof location gives much better reception in fringe circumstances.. Trees. Shorter pauses when going under bridges.

I wound up mounting my Sirius antenna on the roof and noticed a big improvement over just letting it sit on the top of the dash. The car was a Celica but the car shouldn't matter.

It's a shame there isn't a more reasonable source for a simple adapter cable.

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree - though I would state that the antenna mounted up front (squaker) works flawlessly for me - unless I am under a bridge...

7. rockyroll

rockyroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    I actually opened the central console, and it appears that SFA12M is the right adapter for Gen 3 Prius.
    I will still consider using the Pioneer aftermarket antenna as rrolff suggested.

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At $50 (vs free what comes with it), it may be very good ~ if you could split it for gps and xm. I think from a design standpoint (impednace matching), ther could be an issue ~ but it is ideal ~ when you do it, maybe you can find a "Y" adapter??

Still not sure the Toy antenna is better than Pioneer (note the antenna discussions in this forum).

Please let us know ~ and maybe try a "splitter"...

9. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not suggested the Toyota antenna is better then the Pioneer antenna. I am suggested a SAT antenna mounted on the roof can be better then an antenna mounted inside the car. I'm suggested using the factory antenna is a "cleaner" look the putting a SAT antenna on the roof.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    The main reason that a roof mounted antenna is more sensitive than an antenna on the dash is that the metal roof adds to the sensitivity (or whatever it is called) by reflection (or whatever you call it.)

All I know is that on my Thunderbird, I added a satellite antenna on the trunk, then decided to put it underneath the trunk lid because it was a fiberglass lid (and I thought it looked ugly) and the reception was identical. That was not the case on another car I owned, as the signal on the roof (not possible on my TBird because the top keeps coming off whenever I feel like it), is far better than when it is on the dash, although it is good enough for most situations there.

11. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My understanding is you can't use a regular XM/Sirius SAT antenna with GPS. There are some expensive antennas that work for both SAT radio and GPS.

I've never read anything that suggests the Prius uses such an antenna? Does factory NAV use the same antenna for both? Is the XM antenna installed in all models compatable for both GPS and SAT?

12. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My experience:
    (first HU) Random Chinese HU - came with an antenna - standard small "square" block - like 1/3" high. Worked flawlessly placed under the dash near the Squaker (always locked in within 40 secs)

(second HU) High-end Pioneer HU + Pioneer XM receiver - I can't say any of the antennae looked at all different (XM, Pioneer GPS, Chinese GPS) - they all had an identical look. It worked flawlessly near the squaker. Worked 'OK' simply placed on top of the HU (they are magnetic).

13. LJW

LJW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my 2010 Prius II the cable I needed was a SFA12F (I bought an SFA12M and had to return it)
    From what I gathered the connector in the Prius is the same as what you find on a Lexus IS or LS. the SFA12M is what you need for a Lexus GS -- it's the opposite gender.

14. rkalbo

rkalbo 2024 XLE

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thinking of just using the one that come with the xm unit hate to spend another $60.00 I mite be better than factory but would look as good.