1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory window tint color?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JayGen4, Mar 20, 2020.

1. JayGen4

JayGen4 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Learned some lessons recently. Firstly, don't park in Oakland. If it's anywhere where someone can sneak ten seconds in to break a window, it more than likely will happen.

Second lesson, after market glass is definitely not all the same. I hate that the glass shops I called all said that. I trusted them to be the experts but I'm holding them accountable now for saying "it should look the exact same"

Anyway, front passenger door window was replaced due to the break-in but it doesn't match the slightly amber tint the factory glass seems to have. I'm annoyed with how quick the guy was to say it should look the exact same when it clearly doesn't after the install.

Truthfully, I just got this car. There's a chance there is tint on these windows but I don't believe so. I took it to an expert of mine who said that is definitely the glass color, no tint is on the window.

Hoping you guys can tell me if your 2016 prius has a sightly reddish tint to the windows or not. Kind of hard to come by a used one at a dealership I can just compare side by side.

Mine is trim level 2, by the way. Maybe it matters.

Thoughts? Experiences with replacements on your side? Tips?

In the future, I'll probably compare the glass side by side or request OEM. Currently seeing what I can do to resolve this issue.

2. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    There is some kind of "tint" or color to the glass. When look at the windshield and the driver's glass, there is a difference. It's not a black tint but a UV tint. Very common on luxury vehicles to have that on their glasses. To answer you question, you SHOULD see a difference between the driver's glass and the windshield.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    JayGen4 likes this.
  4. JayGen4

JayGen4 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is actually just the windows I am talking about, not the front windshield.

5. JayGen4

JayGen4 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Strange.Mine have a slight amber color to them. I wouldn't call it green. And there isn't tint on it.