1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory XM Radio INSTALLED

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jenlynmc, May 24, 2006.

1. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Inside the spoiler is a great I idea. Any thought on whether there is an attuation of the MW signal or is it transparent to the MW wavelength?

2. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ambrothe @ May 27 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]261793[/snapback]</div>
    My XM antenna was installed in the upper right-hand corner of the dash near the winshield.

Hope this helps!

3. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dvdirv @ May 27 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]261942[/snapback]</div>
    Could you post a pic of the Antenna? The "Solara" XM uses a large antenna. I'm curious if they are using a smaller one.

4. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 28 2006, 08:33 AM) [snapback]262034[/snapback]</div>
    Just got the factory XM installed. Here's where they put the antenna. Radio works great, but wish Toyota had made the antenna install a lot more elegant.

5. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice!!!! That works for me. I saw someone on here post some pictures of the sirus antenna and it was a huge box behind the rearview mirror.....something I could not possibly due since I am pretty picky. But after seeing that I should be getting back my xm radio privileges :) in my prius. Well done....thanks for the pic.

6. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prianista @ May 29 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]262283[/snapback]</div>
    This is a good location for the Antenna. I have been placing a XM antenna without a ground plate on the dash with a xm2go Airware sitting in the front cup holder. It works very well.

Can you comment if the Antenna Installation with the Antenna Lead going forward has any wire showing?

Where does the Antenna wire go between the Dash/under the dash?

Is the tuner installed under the rear seat?

Thanks.

7. smurf041

smurf041 New Member

I have my portable XM radio XMtogo that I used in my previous vehicle. I plugged in the tiny personal antenna and connected the unit to my 06 prius through the aux connection. Works really well. Much better than through the FM and the only problem is you cannot use the DC charger simultaneously because attaching the unit to the charger module disables the tiny antenna. I was planning to get the built in unit, but since this is working so well will stay with it for now.

Smurf

8. blueshift

blueshift Junior Member

I'm trying to understand if the "factory" xm option is compatible with '05s. I've seen a few people talk about it, but no one has actually stated that they've tried it. It's offered now on metropn.com for about $250 total, but they list it as 06 only. Any clarification any one can provide would be much appreciated. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but don't want the 10 character limit on the MFD. Thanks!

9. wtucker

wtucker Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blueshift @ May 31 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]263773[/snapback]</div>

I had the xm receiver and fit kit installed two days ago. Same part numbers as for the '06 model. Unfortunately, the xm receiver unit was probably an older unit with the 10-character limit on the artist and song title display. Otherwise, all was compatible with the '05. I have called the dealer and complained about the character limit and suggested that was an older unit that was installed. He said they would get back with me (two days ago). Nothing yet. I also emailed Toyota customer service about this; and no response there either.

Oh yes, I do have a package 7 with nav and jbl audio upgrade.

10. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smurf @ May 31 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]263677[/snapback]</div>
    I also am using an XM2Go. Use the car dock, even if you don't install it. Plug the AuxIn to the Dock, Use a XM Antenna with a smb connector (the automotive antenna in the kit), and plug the power into the dock. I just put the xm antenna on the dash, similar location to the toyota installation) and everything works...

No problems with power and the antenna.

I have also used a smb to portable antenna adapter and was able to use the automotive antenna while plugged into the cig adapter with the antenna plugged into the xm2go without the dock with no problems either.

I put the xm2go currently into the fron cup holder...

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Junior Member

This is all very, very odd. I called one dealer's parts department and they quoted me $415 for the XM receiver (and I assume the mounting kit). This is just the parts - no installation.

Looked high compared to what I've seen here, so I called the dealer where I bought the car (a bit further away, but they have treated me right so far), and the parts guy first told me $199 for the receiver - right in line with others, and then started looking into the fit kit. He then asked me if I have the JBL premium audio system, which I don't think I do (I have package 3). He then said that I needed a different receiver????? and that would cost $449!?!?!?!?

Does anyone have any further knowledge about this? Can you clarify what audio system you have if you have had the factory unit installed please? Finally, if you know of a reputable dealer that is doing this stuff in the general Sacramento, CA area (I live in Nevada City), please let me know that as well.

I appreciate any and all input on this. I've been looking forward to getting the factory unit for quite a while now (I'm a huge baseball fan) and this has really upset me :angry:

Thanks in advance,

= Ed =

12. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  13. rob_md

rob_md New Member

Anyone know where I could order the XM Kit, without the character limitations of the older kits, for self-install? Or giving to the dealer to install?

14. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

Good Afternoon:
    I had the XM factory kit installed two days ago and it took my dealership roughly 7 hours and cost $477, with installation.
    They made a point of saying they had never done anything like it before, so it might take longer than factory suggested five hours. (Apparently the receiver installation takes only a few minutes, but routing the antenna and installing it is very time consuming.)
    While I have to admit to having issues with that dealer, I must say they did a good job and there are no visible trailing wires or bent plastic.
    I had tried to have the Sirius package installed but the mounting bracket wont be released by Toyota until December of '06, so in desperation, I bought the XM kit. I am told that that process is slightly less expensive, but just as time consuming.
    -Laundryczar

15. MarieH

MarieH New Member

7 hours to install?!?!? could anyone else who's had the dealer do it please post if this is normal or not. I'm scheduled to get mine put in Monday, and sure didn't plan on spending the entire day there. I didn't ask how long when I set up the appointment...guess I should have! My dealer is in another town, so dropping the car off isn't an option.

16. YBLee

YBLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Two dealers in my area won't do it at all! Maybe this is the reason - complexity and time!

17. wtucker

wtucker Junior Member

18. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

19. MarieH

MarieH New Member

Wtucker,
    thanks for posting! I feel better about the install now. Four hours sounds a lot better than 7! :D I'll report back tomorrow. It's about 90 miles up there, so I'll have a nice long drive home to play with the radio.

20. MarieH

MarieH New Member

It took Tuscaloosa Toyota about 2.5 hrs to install the XM and put the mask on the front. Service guy told me that they'd done a lot of installs and his guys were really good. I think he's right!