1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed NYS Inspection, Then passed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hyperdrive, Feb 28, 2012.

1. hyperdrive

hyperdrive New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a '10 Prius with 16k miles on it. I recently took it in for the 15k service. I only had 2 days left before my NYS inspection expired, so I took it into the shop where I always get inspections done. After the mechanic came out to tell me that my 1 year old Prius failed the emissions part of the inspection, you could only imagine my shock.

He told me that the engine wouldn't stay on for it to pass, and the Prius should stay on when connected to the OBII. He told me I need to take it to Toyota service, pay $21 for the failed inspection, and pay another $11 for the sticker if it passes the next time I bring it in.

I told him I will not pay for something so ridiculous. I demanded he take it back in there, put it power mode, turn on the heat full blast and wait for the battery to drain. So he took it in, and while I was waiting I searched on my phone for Prius failing emissions inspections and it came up with nothing.

Thankfully, it passed the second time but I had to pay the $21 instead of the usual $11.

Anyone ever have a problem passing inspections? Should I still take it in for service to check it?

1 person likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nope, never, and I can't say the engine was required to be on, from what I remember. The way I thought it was now here in NY is that unless there is a bad code when plugged in the port which would basically make a check engine light light up on the dash, you pass (as long as safety stuff is in check as well).

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I remember an old post describing how to force a G2 Prius into a mode that keeps the ICE running. I presume the same option exists in the G3. Just plugging in the OBD is not going to do it; the tech was ignorant and overcharged you for the pleasure.

Some states including my own exempt the Prius from emissions testing rather than learn how to keep the ICE running.

4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The engine won't stay on when connected to OBD, but it can be put in maintenance mode, to make the engine stay running.

If it's an inspection requirement, which I doubt, then the mechanic wasn't properly educated to perform the test.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like the technician didn't know what he was doing at first.

6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Did NYS up the price? I paid $10 last July...

7. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NYS didn't up the inspection charge....just that the OP service guy is a jerk. The 1st year of the NYS inspection for a Prius does not require it to have the ICE emissions check, that's why most of us only pay the $10.00 or $11.00 whatever it was.

8. hyperdrive

hyperdrive New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I took it to them for my first inspection and it was fine. But I think this mechanic was new, so he was probably full of BS as everyone is saying.

9. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just as a follow-up, the Prius can also be put into maintenance mode without OBD access. This can be useful, for example, checking for leaks after an oil change.

Activating maintenance mode (Not using the intelligent tester)
    Perform the following steps from (1) through (4) in 60 seconds:

(1) Turn the power switch on (IG).

(2) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with park (P) selected.

(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with neutral (N) selected.

(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with park (P) selected.

Check that "MAINTENANCE MODE" is displayed on the multi-information display.

Start the engine by turning the power switch on (READY) while depressing the brake pedal.

To deactivate this mode, simply power-off the car.