1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed To Air Bleed brakes with Techstream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by python777, Oct 20, 2018.

1. python777

python777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Updates:

After actuator replacement and not being able to properly bleed brakes via Techstream. Assuming that after the initial bleeding I did right after the replacement there was still air in the lines.
    I took the car to the dealer asking them to bleed the brakes only, as I saw on the on the other website that a proper bleeding worked out for some folks and they didn’t have any codes after.
    Going to the Dealer (Jack Taylor Toyota Alexandria, VA) was a bad experience overall. My car was kept there for 2 days. I couldn’t get in touch with them and they didn’t fix the problem, but they didn’t mind charging me 180$. I complained, since they’ve locked my key in the car as well and had to forcibly open the car.
    The service advisor guy was trying to convince me of the bat how the pump we installed is faulty. W/o even looking at the car.
    Bad experience altogether.

I came and pick up my car and the they’ve said that they bled the brakes, but that didn’t fix it and the same code is still on - C1343 (hydraulics RR). This was a pure BS. Car was braking fine, better than before.

Fix:

I took the car home and connected the Techstream and I read carefully what stated on their service papers: “failed to perform linear solenoid setting” multiple fails.
    I researched and this was pretty simple procedure via Techstream.
    This video was very useful, although the guy is fixing the 2015 Avalon hybrid, the problem-fix is the same:

I did the 1) ECU reset, which is recommended before you do 2) Linear Solenoid Setting procedure. I held my fingers crossed for those 120sec. The pump was making noises and you can hear it sending the fluid to every line and after that I checked to clean the DTC. There was none.
    I turned the car on and off just to make sure and drove around the parking lot, it worked like a charm.

Conclusion: dealer forgot to reset the ECU module and tried Linear Solenoid Setting and failed or maybe they didn’t even bother?

I basically payed 155$ (dropped from 180$ after I complained) only for them to bleed one brake line and hold the car for 2 days.

Anyway, don’t take it to the dealer, just have patience and do it yourself and troubleshoot. I drove the car for a whole week so far. Brakes are perfect!

“Power to the people, stick it to the man!”

iPhone ?

sorka, blaisep and Sezy like this.
  2. python777

python777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hope my updates help you with your fix!

iPhone ?

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That just goes to show you Toyota does not train mechanics for Prius problems very well.

Make sure you show that to the dealer, say you fixed your car yourself doing it and you will be contacting Toyota national to complain about repair

4. python777

python777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You should have been there, the amount of ignorance and lack of customer service received was at the verge of arrogance. I felt embarrassed.
    The guy told first told me over the phone that the pump you buy online is not original Toyota and then after he tried to explain me how it can be anything bc the car has 300k miles.

iPhone ?

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update.
    Too often we are left hanging
    Glad you persevered.

Skibob likes this.
  6. KevininFl

KevininFl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can you disconnect the 12v battery and use a bleeder,do the brake job, and then reconnect 12v battery?