1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed Traction Battery in 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by enerjazz, Feb 3, 2015.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We are a 3 Prius family. A 2004 with 90,000 miles, and 2006 with 157,000 miles, and a 2007 with 87,000 miles. Last week the 2006 presented the triangle of death and the codes showed it was the traction battery. The car had been showing some of the symptoms including reduced mpg. We're in a hot climate (Dallas) and that is tough on batteries. In this case the one with the most miles went out first.

After a few crazy high quotes (dealer $4K but back ordered, and a local shop $2K for a 90,000 mile used) we found Texas Prius Batteries. Matt came out and replaced the battery in our garage in less than 2 hours and for less than $1K. It's a rebuilt unit with an 18 month warranty so we should be good to go for a while. Since that car has saved over $8K in gas over the years, a $1K battery is a reasonable maintenance expense.

Paul
    Paul's Prius Home - lots of data here on the 2004/2007 cars.

JENELLE JONES and ursle like this.
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the heads up. (y)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please keep us informed on performance, all the best!(y)

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should start doing preventative maintenance on all three battery packs. Why wait for each to fail and spend ~$1k each when you can spend $200 per car to keep all three going strong. A single charger with two extra car harnesses is all you need. :)

5. Kendall W

Kendall W New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm the owner of the 2004 Prius mentioned above and wanted to post an update.

This weekend (approximately 5 months post-installation), the battery that we got replaced died. I had it towed to the dealership and they ran the codes to confirm. I called Matt Sauer (owner of Texas Hybrid Batteries) and he was immediately apologetic and remembered exactly who I was. Out of the 105 batteries he has installed, mine was the 2nd ever to fail.

I was completely covered under the warranty, and Matt came out to the house the day after I called and replaced the battery in under an hour with a new model. He also offered to cover the cost of the diagnostic from the dealership and we test drove the vehicle to make sure that everything was fine. This was above and beyond customer service, and he was such a pleasure to work with.

He told me to get in touch if I noticed anything else going on and made sure that all my questions were answered. I would recommend Texas Hybrid Batteries to anyone and everyone in the area that needs a replacement hybrid battery. Their Google + reviews can confirm that they have consistently excellent service.

Andyprius1 and Dino33ca like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the update, great service! unfortunately, with rebuilds, it can happen. the timely response is the most important thing. hope you have better luck with this one!(y)

btw, what is wrong with your original account? and i thought it was the 2006 that had the battery replaced?

7. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That was my daughter posting the update. Her 2004 battery went about a month after my wife's 2006. My 2007 is still going strong.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thought i was losing it.:cool:

9. JENELLE JONES

JENELLE JONES Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius