1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failing/Failed MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Nedsled, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Nedsled

Nedsled Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just got back from a 10 day vacation, 2009 Prius sat unused in driveway all that time.

Come home, hop in the car, and now the radio turns off/on intermittently, and the MFD kind of is on it's own program. Worked perfectly fine before I left.

The MFD resets to the logo about every minute or so. Sometimes lines appear and it reboots, sometimes it slowly fades to white and then reboots, sometimes it just goes black and reboots, and sometimes all of the above and reboots.

I mean, the MFD failing I can understand, but why so suddenly? Could it be because it's sat in the CA heat for so long?

Is there anything else I should check or should I just bite the ebay bullet and try to find a replacement MFD? I sincerely doubts it's the 12v battery since it's pretty new and the MFD going bonkers has never been a problem the OTHER couple times the 12v went bad.

ALSO: Does anyone know if you can replace a 7 button MFD with a 4 button?

#1 Nedsled, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would still get a free load test on the 12v at an auto parts store, just to eliminate the possibility, since sitting is what often causes 12v problems.
    i guess the heat that builds up inside a car could cause a problem, idk.

try disconnecting the 12v neg for a minute, to see if it resets.

sometimes coincidences happen, not always cause and effect

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a 12v battery issue.