1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faint chime every time break pedal is released

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rere1967, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the past 2 days, I've heard this intermittent chiming sound while driving my 2008 Prius touring, and the nasty check engine light has come on. I finally realized it was happening every time I let up on the brake pedal, whether moving or idling. I checked the gas cap, and it was loose, but that usually resolves the check engine light within a couple trips. This time it hasn't, and now I have the added issue of the chime. I've searched this forum and online, but really can't find an answer. Any ideas? As a woman, I like to come armed with info when I take it in, if you know what I mean. Car has 110,000 miles on it.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stop by an auto parts store and they may be able to read the code for free.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I concur with the other suggestions, but I had what sounds like a similar experience last fall with my 2009 Gen II, where I heard a faint "dong!" sound coming from under the driver's seat sometimes when cornering fast (either direction) and was starting to worry about it when I checked under the seat and found a breaker-bar rolling around occasionally hitting a metal dish which had rolled under the seat… …although it didn't throw up any error codes - so checking the codes is A Good Idea! Good luck! ;)

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oranges and Lemons say The Bells of St. Clements...

Chimes? Dongs?
    Throw in a wolf howl and a strong wind and we have a Cinemax made for TV series.

I have no idea.
    But I agree with starting with the less theatrical symptom which would be the check engine light and getting the code.

Since the sound you are hearing is tied to the operation of the brakes, I'd be attentive to that as well. May or may not be connected.

Besides the chime sound and the check engine light do you notice any other changes in operation?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, no matter how many times you use the brake pedal, never use the break pedal!