1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

faint high pitch whine during braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hillcharger5, Oct 27, 2010.

1. hillcharger5

hillcharger5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During around town driving I am experiencing a faint high pitch whine when braking. This sound is not mechanical, but more electrical coming from the dash-engine area. It is very noticable when slowing between 40mph to 20mph.

Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That noise is probably coming from the inverter, and is normal.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Pat is correct as usual, the whine also occurs during acceleration, but ICE noise covers it up.

4. LightFlightDave

LightFlightDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The great thing about our Prius' is that they generate power during braking that's reused for accelerating later. Granted it's not super efficient, by the time it gets back to the wheels it may be as little as 30% back, but it's better than nothing.

When stopping traditional cars simply burn away all the energy from thier forward motion in the form of friction at the brake pads.

To reclaim power during deceleration our electric motor is used as a generator, the power is sent through the inverter and charges your battery.

You're hearing, ev motor as a generator,+ the inverter as a charger charging your batteries. It's a good sound.:D

My wife comments on the sound too, I don't hear it as much. It's a high frequency whine some peoples ears are more tuned to than others.