1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fair price for 2013 Prius 3 in SF Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by hsk, Sep 15, 2013.

1. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am about to purchase a 2013 Prius 3 (no options added on) and would like to know what would be a fair price for the vehicle "Out-The-Door"?

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Toyota is offering the following manufacturer incentives in my area:

1. $1000 cash back/rebate or 0% financing on a Prius
    2. $1000 loyalty/trade-in cash incentive.

I will be trading in a Toyota vehicle that I own free and clear as well as opt for the $1000 cash back on a Prius for a total of $2000 in incentives from Toyota.

I will be getting at least $21,000 for my trade and adding in the $2000 in Toyota incentives from above that give me roughly $23,000 to work with. I'd like to get (Out-The-Door) for $26,000 or less which means I would come out of pocket about $3000 or less. The dealer I have been talking to says they would lose money on the car if they did this deal for me and that I am being unreasonable and low-balling them?

Am I being unreasonable? Also I would like to know what a good/fair "Out-The-Door" price would be and any help would be greatly appreciated!

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks JMD. I used TrueCar already when trying to figure out where to start negotiations as well as where to figure out my bottom line price for the vehicle. From your post, is $23,705 the "OTD" price or is that before taxes, title, and fees? Also does that price factor in the $2000 in Toyota incentives? If it does not include the incentive, do I deduct the incentive from the dealer's invoice, or do I just add it to my down payment?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's hard to give an otd price from anyone outside your area. but one thing i know about car buying, the best price you can find is the price to go with. all the best!(y)

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ran that report on San Diego location. Re run the report for your zip code. The price excludes tax, license, tags and incentive.

6. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Priii.png

hsk and JMD like this.
  7. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. You have all been very helpful and I really appreciate it.

NoMoreNow, where did you find that add for the Prius 3 and which dealership is that for? That is a really low price and if I factor in another $1000 for my Toyota trade-in, that brings it down even lower. If basing off this add I should be paying between $3000-$3500 out of pocket and my "OTD" price should be somewhere in the low to mid $26,000 area. That means my original calculation was pretty accurate. I was hoping I wouldn't have to play "The Game" with this dealer but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

JMD likes this.
  8. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I brought my Prius 2, I've also used this coupon from another Nor Cal Toyota dealer to price-matched.
    I can referral you to him, he works as Fleet Manager.
    Just pm me.....but he off today....just fyi

JMD and hsk like this.
  9. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NoMoreNow, thanks for the reply. I will try to use the coupon you sent me to negotiate with my current dealer first, but if that doesn't work out, then I will shoot you a PM for the referral. Thanks again!

10. HenryH

HenryH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a prius 2 this past weekend in SF but not sure how much help it'll be if you're looking for a 3. But PM me if you'd like. I tried going for a 3 initially and have some quotes but figured I didn't want to pay extra for the navi and back-up cam.

JMD likes this.
  11. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

same here too Henry, I was aiming @ level 3 with Navi & BU camera. But dealer wanted $1800 more (around $2k with tax). So I endup with 2 and the color we liked. Now basically using my cell Note II as my Navi and installed a backup camera for less than $100.

12. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I suspect it's your trade in valuation that is the issue.

13. JoeS

JoeS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can try carwoo.com

14. HenryH

HenryH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II

Congrats on the new Prius. I can tell you're from SF with your avatar. :) May I ask which backup camera you've bought and the installation process?

15. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Henry, I brought the CCD camera & a t-harness,
    The installation is almost like this video, and takes about 2hrs (depends on skills).

16. HenryH

HenryH New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. Definitely looks like it'll take some time for me. If i decide to install it i'll probably find a local shop. Great video tutorial though.